February contest. tools

Discussion in 'Farrier Photo Contests' started by monty.styron, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I misunderstood; I "mark" the fullering at a near black heat; not actually fullering though.
  2. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

Most of my tools and forge are packed up but found these in junk by the anvil. Quick and dirty fuller and stamp made from truck spring tempered in the way I described. Cleaned them up as example of temper not as a entry. Fullering and stamped cold!! IMG_20150218_173204_157.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Offline

Sure got quiet in here. 8 days left:)
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

To keep the ball rolling, someone get the march com sorted
    so no delay
  5. Offline

Dont start shoveling dirt over this one yet smitty we still have seven days left :) ?Still need examples of Chris,David and alex's stamping to evan begin judging. Unless we want to start a 3rd class ( Pritty tools that may or may not make a hole that a nail fits in) :)
  6. Offline

Nothing to do with this months monty
    but you need to be ahead of the next competition
  7. Offline

I know Smitty ,just joking. Im hoping to compeat in the next one but im pritty sure we will be still moveing and unpacking all next month .
  8. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i am withdrawing my entry , if you dont take my word that my tools are not set up right so be it
  9. Offline

Its not that at all Chris i antisipated every ones work to be of the upmost quality and included it in the rules to make it easier to make the final choice . I feel that the most important part of a stamp -pritchal is how the nail fits the hole all other qualitys are pritty mutch personal preference.
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Monty you make me smile, these guys know what a nail hole needs to be, most of us are making handmades because they nail up better and stay tight for longer, look at thir forging skills, sharpening a stamp and pritchel is child's play...... These guys are buisy craftsmen, we all had dinner the other night and were saying what a pain the photo posting is, I have to take a pic, email it to myself, save the pic and then post it, the stamp takes less time to make.
  11. Offline

David. Ive made a lot of tools over the years .some were so buitfull that i hated to use them but diddent work for squat and others were so ugly i was embarest to carry them around but worked fantastic . I'll tell you what if the two people who went to the trouble to fallow the rules and posted pics of the work done dont have a problom with it i will judge them as things are.
  12. Offline

Smitty? Mikel? What do you say?
  13. Offline

Monty your the man calling the shots today
    it will be some one else in march.

what ever you say goes
  14. Offline

gary evans old and slow

I'm not in the same league as Smitty, Chris and David, but I don't mind making up the numbers.
    Like Michael, I didn't have any tool steel handy, so I stopped off at Tool Mart on my way home and bought an 18 inch cold chisel for five quid (eight dollars)

chisel.JPG

stampandpritchel1.JPG

stampandpritchel2.JPG

stampandpritchel3.JPG

The welding is crap, but I don't get much practice these days - I could have ground it down to make it look pretty, but I think that weakens it.

I don't have any pictures of nail holes, as I left the tools in the forge to cool. If it's still a requirement, I'll do it in the next day or so.
  15. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Hey Chris, you guys left early - was Gareth suffering?
    James was. :)
    Good weekend!
  16. Offline

Its all about having ago gary well done
  17. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

he was not on his best for sure lo , i had to fly out last night , i was not going to argue , a couple of sleep was needed , back tues morn though , apperently cold and snow , why do I do it ?
  18. Offline

Chris I think monty was not looking for polish
    just a pic of the nail fit of the stamp and pritchel
    you made.
    how simple is that
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Let's try and keep it a bit on track, Monty you are in charge and make the decisions on your criteria as you wish... It's all for fun....
  20. Offline

Looks good to me Gary. Smitty, David thanks . I feel that its only rite that we stick to the original rules . You hit it dead on smitty its so difficult to tell scale from pics and as i said in my first post funchion is more importend then form . I think that the tools i posted prove that b@tt ugly can still get the job done. Looking forward to your pics Gary thanks