February contest. tools

Discussion in 'Farrier Photo Contests' started by monty.styron, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

David if it makes it easier point me to a shoe on these forms that you used them on plain stamp would be the best.thanks
  2. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Chris and David,

I'm sure Monty meant no malice by his statement/question.

I am sure it was meant to help him to be able to do a better job of judging two very well made sets of tools.

I personally think any/all tools that are hand made and used on a daily basis are winners, even my little turd of a pick/brush . I wouldn't want to have to pick one over the other.

With the exception of "absolute crap", I would judge a tie.

JMHO.
  3. Offline

Your absulutly right Clint ,judging sucks . David ,chris and alex's tools are all verry nice .the working ends all seem to be uniform and appropreat to there use .i see verry few hammer marks and no sign that would lead me to beleave that they would fail. So that pritty mutch leaves me judging them by the handel :( ok easy rite ,I said i would judge close tie by dificulty of forging so that makes it simple. A wood handle is ten times harder to do properly then just welding one on . Easy peasy rite?wrong :( Chris throws in the monkey wrinch that he is having some one else finnish the dam thing. so how would it be fare to pic his over Davids and Alex's.?
    I hope that clears things up . I understood these contests were just for fun and i thought judging would be a fun oppertunity to discuse a subject that i love and that we might all learn a few new tricks from each other in the prosess . but it seems some people take this way to serious . So heres what im going to do. I set the rules at the begining of the contest and i assume that by entering the contest you understude them . So if you dont comply with them your work will not be concittered in the final judging.
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Am I reading right monty its a 3 horse race
  5. Offline

As things stand now yes smitty.
  6. Offline

To be clear .Mikel,Smitty and Clint
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Lots of good info on this thread.... John I'm interested in the handle weld on your stamp looks beautiful, did you arc it and then grind it up or is it recessed in the head?
  8. Offline

appears to be welded and cleaned up but the finnish is verry nice and uniform dont you think?And hay look it works verry well :)
  9. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

Made for e4 in concave 20150224_131439.jpg 20150224_131610.jpg 20150224_131619.jpg
  10. Offline

11. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

excuse my ignorance here , do you need a different size stamp for an E 7,6,5 4 and 3 nail head ?
  12. Offline

No. But I am also changing stock dimensions with different size nails. I was wanting a narrow punch to avoid frog eyes in concave
  13. Offline

Looks like it dose the job Michael .nice job thanks for posting. Ignore chris he just has his nose out of joint becouse that nice wood handle wont come out to temper his so it will stamp more than warm butter:)
  14. Offline

If a judge asks for an e5 in 5/16 I would definitely need a different punch.
  15. Offline

Michael what did you end up making it out of? Did you try it on heaver stock? Like your handle by the way
  16. Offline

Four days left on this one .dont know what we are building but i nominate bunting as judge;)
  17. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Nice work, as always Michael.
  18. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Tempered and ready to go:

tempered.JPG

E4 slim in 3/4 x 3/8 (no back pritchelling... :)):

nails.JPG

nails2.JPG
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Chris when Jim Blurton makes a shoe he has a stamp for all nails, when Richard Ellis made a shoe he had the one stamp....
  20. Offline

appaloosa 64 New Member

Here is my hoof pick entry, post mortem. Dave Manzer from the Edson AB Canada area was my mentor over 25 years ago. He attended the Advanced Farrier Science program at Old's College, Olds AB Canada. He was a great farrier and instructor among other things. He passed away a few years ago, and as he made this for me I thought I would share with everyone. Simple, not fancy but functional. There have been many times I wish I had also attended the Old's College course (2 yr. program) as it has produced some good farriers and blacksmiths. But I moved into the Guide/Outfitting industry (still lots of shoeing). Started back into the Farrier industry fulltime 15 years ago. Still hate pulling clips, don't make my own shoes, just modify kegs, hence wished I had taken the course.
    Rob Johnson

Attached Files: