Fixing A Foundered Pony / Suggestions ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by vthorseshoe, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

How is a clog a gimmick?
  2. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.
  3. Offline

Lclayton Member

Justin, it does not take a great deal of skill to apply a clog. Anyone that is capable of running a saw and a drill is able to do it. So what is the need for a Farrier? Why would the horseowner need us? It takes time to learn to trim properly, BUT it takes YEARS to learn to FIT that trim! Anyone can learn to apply a clog within a day. It does not require skill!!!! And just to put it simply as to why it is a gimmick......... It does NOT work without wrecking the hoofcapsule! I have yet to see anyone that can build and FIT a barshoe or heartbar that thinks a clog is useful. So it is a Gimmick.
  4. Offline

George Spear Member

Oh I dont know I think dr steward is a fine vet and his clogs have helped many horses. One of the finest blackmiths I have ever met is my friend and mentor gene ovineck and he has great success with the clog. What is wrong with research based designs and modern materials? The "If I can't handmake it myself out of barstock I won't use it" mentality leaves out many solutions that may be better for the horse.

Also if the pony was doing fine barefoot Bruce would not be seeking a cost effective shoeing solution. Of course bruce is sometimes confused (for example he is not sure if he lives in TX or VT)
  5. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

The leverage reduction is fine if you need it. If a horse is seriously lame I wouldn't want to commit to something that I couldn't take off quickly after putting it on to make changes.

For long term they're not my cup of tea.
  6. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I think the video makes my point fairly well. There was an abscess below the clog that no one new about until the clog came off. That doesn't seem like the best route to go IMO.
  7. Offline

That sounds like any horseshoe!!;)
  8. Offline

9. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

NO !!!:LOL: This sounds like a horseshoe ...A horseshoe, is a fabricated product, made of metal, made and designed to protect a horse's hoof from wear and tear. Shoes are attached on the palmar surface of the hooves, nailed through the insensitive hoof wall that is anatomically akin to the human toenail, though much larger and thicker. Not screwed and glued like plywood. ;)
  10. Offline

You left parts out!!:D
    A horseshoe, is a fabricated product, normally made of metal, although sometimes made partially or wholly of modern synthetic materials, designed to protect a horse's hoof from wear and tear. Shoes are attached on the palmar surface of the hooves, usually nailed through the insensitive hoof wall that is anatomically akin to the human toenail, though much larger and thicker. However, there are many cases where shoes are sometimes glued.

I bolt mine on and nail them, is that better than screws and glue?
  11. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

Sorry... but yours is not my definition :ROFLMAO:
  12. Offline

Spot On Shoeing __________________

My understanding is that the purpose of the clog is to significantly increase the length of the lever arm but not increase the base of support, thereby greatly increasing mobility at the cost of decreasing stability. I cringe at the application but I don't see how anyone can argue against the utility of the clog.
  13. Offline

Not sure I understand your description, how does it increase the length of the lever arm but not increase the base of support?

The type of horse that needs a clog IMO is one that is moving very little and generally walking with it's hind legs well under the body. The extra height to the front limbs transfers some of the weight onto the hind limbs. Which allows them to use there hind end in a more normal fashion and have a squarer stance at rest. I can make the base of support as big or as little as I feel meets the needs of the horse. I can apply as much or as little frog psi as I feel the horse needs just like a heartbar. I can put an extension or breakover any where it is needed.

My clogs are better because I handmake them out of UHMW not plywood.:D Those keg clogs are terrible!!!:ROFLMAO:

I have one horse in a clog(it has a handmade shoe on as well), they are not for every horse. They have there place and they are just another tool in the box.
  14. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Well some of us skilled guitar pickers think clogs go great with mountain bluegrass. :p
  15. Offline

Lclayton Member

You haven't ever met to many good Blacksmiths if you think Gene Ovnicek is a fine one!
  16. Offline

George Spear Member

Oh well.

Ok I concede horseshoes need to be metal and attached with nails.

If they are made of other materials and attached by other means they cause cancer, teen pregnancy, and are a gateway to addiction to hard drugs.
  17. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

I have not rode with him, Do you have any pics of his work or yours to show us how fine he is?
    Thanks in advance for posting the pics you have.
  18. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Well I know a lot of blacksmiths that are downright ugly compared to Gene, but I don't think he would make the cover of GQ.
  19. Offline

Spot On Shoeing __________________

The "keg" clogs have the same or slightly smaller ground surface area than the normally shod horse. Simply extending the length following the hoofcapsule would obviously increase the base, and negate the mechanical advantage.

Let's get Scruggs in here.
  20. Offline

I don't use the keg clogs, because I don't like just what you stated. By making them you can do what you want with it.