Fixing A Foundered Pony / Suggestions ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by vthorseshoe, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

I don
    I don't know Gene and have never seen his work other than NB. From what I do know about him he shod footwavers before the NB thing and also worked with Duckett did he not. I don't know to many guys who shod footwavers that didn't know a thing or two about working the fire.
  2. Offline

Spot On Shoeing __________________

I'm pretty sure Duckett wouldn't put it that way!

I'm interested to see your clog approach when you have a chance get some pics. I have never applied clogs. I met Dr. Stewart and saw a presentation he did about mechanics, clogs, laminitis, etc. it was really interesting. The mantra he kept saying was, " If you increase mobility you decrease stability." The two are inversely proportional. Its a phrase I now use very frequently.
  3. Offline

Spot On Shoeing __________________

Interesting material choice, I bet you get some resets out of those;). Do they stay slick or do they scuff up so they grip a little better, do you use pin studs with these?
  4. Offline

Lclayton Member

I know some.
  5. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

I know a few.
  6. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

Bruce what did you decide to do with this pony ?
  7. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

William I was over to their place just the other day. The pony needed a trim, good growth on all 4. sole looked really good and no inflamation in any of the legs.
    I can only do so much cause the owners just don't follow through on a consistent basis on what I instruct them.
    I have them painting soles with Bickford and iodine. With rain we have had and rain that is predicted next few days, the hooves get wicked soft. (all the land around here was planted in rice fields and because of this even after they built homes on the same land everything floods and animals stand in ankle deep water and mud or gumbo clay)
    The ground is still soft so no real pressure on foot.
    I have just decided to stay with the trim regieme. I have had them cut feed almost out. They are intent on giveing a handful at night so it is what it is.
    This pony foundered 5 yrs ago and the farrier they have had all this time didn't do the pony any justice so if she survived these five years then she mostlikely will survive another 5.
  8. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

I remember Shayne Carter tell me once ..Horse's do well in spite of us, not because of us !
    Continue to keep us posted
    Thanks