Gaited Horseshoeing

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

That is about the rule of thumb for a pacy TWH one can kinda go by, but what if the horse is Trotty? What would you do then? I know what I would do is the complete opposite..shorten the breakover up front and heavier and alittle longer behind? What say you?
  2. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Looking forward to seein the photos (y)
  3. Offline

Jeff Crane Member

I am not a fan of TWH "show" shoeing but that was a very cool website. That guy really loves the trade. I'm curious though, I wonder what his opinion is about "natural shoeing" hmmm
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Jeff,

I could probably guess and or paraphrase his opinion, but I d suggest that you contact Earl and get it from him!

regards

ray
  5. Offline

grimwood Member

I used to do the same thing but got tired of pulled shoes. When you stand them up in the front they move back in their stance and when you lower the heels in the back then they move forward in their stance. So in reality you are closing the distance in their stance and travel. It's not much of a difference in the trim, but miss by and inch and you miss by a mile. My first priority is to keep them going. Nobody wins when a customer loses a shoe on the trail or I have to make an unscheduled stop to replace a shoe.
  6. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

So many trailriders around here are not that good understanding the gaits of the TWHs they buy just for trail ? But I loose far less shoes on TWHs than I do other breeds.. it always amazes me how well a horse will go with the correct rider...:)
  7. Offline

grimwood Member

Sorry it took so long. Here's a TWH fronts. I don't take pictures of my feet but I need to get me a good camera and start doing it. TWH.jpg
  8. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

there is nothing wrong with the camera