High Low, and angles

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by ijumphigh, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

The OP should have them if proper diagnostics were done. If not...ooopppppsssss!!!!!
  2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

In the rads, the cannon bone is not vertical thus making interpreting them accurately with regard to phalangeal alignment, nigh on to impossible.
    How was the amount of change determined?

In post #11 Justin asked some relevant questions. It would help if you would answer them,
  3. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

Sorry, been out and just getting back to read this. Will update with answers and additional films, sole photos, etc. tonight
    Thank you for all the replies.
  4. Offline

DeniseMc Member

I don't doubt you but just don't see how that is possible, unless possibly the horse was de-nerved? I would think movement due to flexibilty in the back of the hoof would cause those fragments to move and cause irritation and subsequent abscessing? Unless maybe the shoeing was rigid enough to prevent flexing of the hoof capsule?
  5. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

nope. still showing as of today. no lameness but has a bit of contracted heels......some artifacts sequestri' and some don't, go figure.....
  6. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

Hello everyone.
    Having computer problems, but I am finally up and running.
    I will try to answer all posts below:
    As to his work load as a 4 year old....the video in the first post was his sales video and is of an "auction rider" driving him into a frame.
    I have been bringing him along very slowly and we do light trotting long and low and lots of relaxing walks down the road.
    I am in no hurry to push this horse.

Justin:
    He seems to be comfortable with new shoes, heels are in contact with ground and lameness appears to be less than with Mclane pads and rockers, but still hand walking to adjust to heel drop.
    Can you elaborate more on the difference in Palmer angle between 2011/2012?
    Denise:
    He had ultrasounds and MRI as well and no clinical abnormalities were noted.
    I will get a copy of the vet record this week.
    The heels have not abscessed since I have acquired him.
    Mr. Perry:
    My apologies for the overlays on the radiographs. I will re upload them per your request. I was trying to make a clear illustration, but clearly I failed. :)
    Also, see above on work load for this horse. He is being worked very lightly long and low and mostly walking on leisurely trails. No hurry for me or him.
    Denise/Mr Perry:
    More Radiographs will be sent to me Monday/Tuesday.
    Rick:
    The amount to be changed on his heel height was determined by the shoer that did it.
    I asked him to make very small adjustments and we could evaluate on the journey, but he had already dropped him when I arrived.
    It is not my regular shoer, but did a favor per vet to remove frog pressure Mclane pads as he seemed to be getting significantly sorer each day from them.
    Current Xrays from Pioneer Veterinary
    Lisa0001.jpg Lisa0002.jpg Lisa0003.jpg Lisa0004.jpg Lisa0005.jpg
  7. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

8. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

WOW! a coffin bone of a 4-5 year old that looks like a 14 year old. Wrote on the rad so the conditions could be discussed in this shot:

pony 4 hermes.JPG
  9. Offline

DeniseMc Member

But what you are saying Jaye, is if you see something on the radiographs that looks "suspicious" it doesn't necessarily mean it's the source of lameness? Apparently the vet clinic isn't seeing anything "abnormal" here? Maybe they see radiographs like this all the time in sound horses? I think you would have to see the 2011 (AP) radiographs to make a comparison as to what was present on the radiographs then when there was no lameness as compared to now? But I agree-they (cbs) look really ragged.
    OP: I'm seeing possibly deep, thrushy crevices on both the frogs--is the horse sensitive/reactive when you pick the feet? Did you ask your farrier about the ridges on the left fore, visible on the heels in the photo of feet and on the radiograph?
  10. Offline

Worse on right. IME, the worse the infection, especially in the central sulcus, the faster the heels will contract which will exacerbate both the pain and the problem.

Standing behind the horse, please describe his topline symmetry. Have you also evaluated his hind end?
    The frog/bulbs of the left hind look to me to be trying to prolapse. There is anecdotal 'evidence' that and egg bar shoe on a club/clubby foot improves the horse's comfort and movement. Henry Heymering was one of the first that I heard and read about who made this observation. IMO, a straight bar shoe with a moderate rolled toe incorporated is indicated for the left fore.

How much heel was removed from the right front? ie: 1/4", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", etc.
  11. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

[IMG]

Isn't that a fracture on the wing?

From Jaye's marks I'm guessing M/L is off a bit, Lateral side is taking a beating and there is demineralization all around P3? And the cleft is a thrushy frog?
  12. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

I have asked for the full exam notes from Pioneer to be sent to me and hopefully will have those Monday/Tuesday.
    Interestingly, he started this road with lameness left front, rather than right front. When blocked would swap back and forth.
    4 weeks into hand walking recheck showed lame right front, no left front lameness evident. Did not trot sound until we reached right fetlock. (coffin, abaxial,....all proved negative)
    MRI-vet comments were that they were one of the cleanest MRI scans he had seen (20+ years).
    Photos of soles were taken approx. 6 months ago, and yes he did have a bad case of thrush (deep central sulcus >rt than left) that he had arrived with. Yes, he was very reactive when picking feet. It has since improved and looks good, no longer sensitive. Will get pics today.
    I did not ask farrier about ridges on the left fore.

Also, will take photos of topline symmetry (although with 75 days stall rest he doesn't have much of a topline anymore)
    Heel removed-I would I would guess was between 1/4" to 3/8". Again, it was done before I arrived.

Mr. Perry: Noted drawing and that does look alarming. I am not edicated on reading radiographs so I was relying on the vet for his opinion. But now that you point it out, it is definitely an area of concern to me.

Interestingly, insurance company made the following exclusions on renewal:
    Exclusions apply to all coverages for this horse Nothing excluded on right.
    Condition(s) Excluded:
    1. LEFT FRONT COFFIN JOINT CONDITIONS
    2. LEFT FRONT SUSPENSORY AND SESAMOID LIGAMENT
    DESMITIS

add photo of foot after heel drop. Current angle

Attached Files:

13. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Don't know, likely. Can't manipulate to get a clear view of the rads.

In one rad of the a/p there are questions. The others like the skylines and the laterals are not manipulative on my end. There are no Dorso Ventrals/ Dorso Plamars (language differs from region to region depending on the teaching professors). there are no obiliques. 3/5 well that is only a 66% chance a diagnosis can be formulated.

here is a 1993 model WB Lateral:

7AAB0007.original.jpg

9D150010.original.jpg

46000008.original.jpg

AC8C0009.original.jpg

E66F0011.original.jpg

26430006.original.jpg

Don't know about that, California is a long way from Atlanta and a totally different country! Isn't Bill Adams?:p:ROFLMAO::giggle::oops:

This is just and a somewhat comparative for the OP. She has a 4-5 yr old, the horse I pictured is an aged horse with high mileage at the AA+ levels of competition. So in both A/P views of the baby and the old timer, which is the healthier coffin bone and joints? Questions beget more questions...........
  14. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

15. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

This horse needs alot more "hoof" underneath him; trimmed too short for his size. Maybe a rim pad/full pad combination or full pad with impression material in the back half & magic cushion in the front. This would provide him with alot less to worry about while you sort out his assymetry.
  16. Offline

He has asymmetry in the contra lateral hinds that mimics the fronts. Fortunately it is a bit easier to mechanically compensate for this than it is in the fores. Why is the horse eight nailed? Especially since he is on 'light duty'.
    He still has sufficient heel under him and based on the photo of the right front, it appears that tht heels, over time, could be lowered even more. Once you get him sorted out and he is moving satisfactorily, you will find, IME, that resetting that right front every three or so weeks will keep him at his 'optimum' level of performance.
  17. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

Agreed he needs more hoof. Will get on rim pad/full options until we can get some growth.
    Eight nailed because shoer at barn showed up to remove pads and that is how he shod him. Not my regular shoer, but he was available to help remove pressure from Mclane pads that was suspected to be contributing to lameness that most recently showed up.
    Thank you for the tip on resetting right front every three weeks. That sounds like a good option.
    Adding medical history charts, and additional radiographs sent to me today from vet.
    History page 4 failed to upload so is added at end.
  18. Offline

ijumphigh New Member

Ehrenz0001.jpg Ehrenz0002.jpg Ehrenz0003.jpg Ehrenz0004.jpg Ehrenz0005.jpg Ehrenz0006.jpg Ehrenz0007.jpg Ehrenz0008.jpg Ehrenz0009.jpg Ehrenz0010.jpg Ehrenz0011.jpg EHermes0001.jpg EHermes0002.jpg EHermes0004.jpg Ehrenz0011.jpg
    Radiographs-additional.
    Ehrenz0011.jpg Ehrenz0001.jpg Ehrenz0002.jpg Ehrenz0003.jpg Ehrenz0004.jpg Ehrenz0005.jpg Ehrenz0006.jpg Ehrenz0007.jpg Ehrenz0008.jpg Ehrenz0009.jpg Ehrenz0010.jpg Ehrenz0011.jpg