Hoof pics at 6 weeks

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

I hope someone finds the article!
  2. Offline

Mary Ann RaySteeleDaveHallEricRussellTravisDupreeReed Fan

3. Offline

Durasole: Can durasole be used as a preventative? Or, what can be used as a preventive on WLD?
  4. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

As a preventative you need better routine hoof care and serious consideration of shoeing. You need to ensure the horse is in good general condition and that there's a good daily protocol to ensure that the feet are properly and thoroughly kept clean and there's no separation.

In my opinion most cases of WLD are root cause having the horse standing in deep litter bedding (or mud) and failure to undertake daily hoof picking and ensuring meticulous balance and cleanliness. Couple that with this silly fad of having horses barefoot that frankly shouldn't be and you've a recipe for increased prevelence.

But note it's not a preventative you need. It's treatment. It's too late for "preventative" when the horse has got it. My understanding is that durasole is an iodine based sole hardener not a cure all for separation or WLD

You may well want to consider using some sort of topical application of an antibacterial cleanser and personally speaking I'd suggest the likes of a dilution of hydrogen peroxide for thorough cleaning.

But got to say that once separation has occurred then IMO you're fighting a difficult battle unless it's minor or else there's debridement.

It sounds to me like your farrier is doing what's needed and is telling you what he's going to do and also telling you to stop doing stuff.

I really do think you're best advised in the circumstances to follow his advice and stop interfering and botching things with the likes of the most recent toe rasping etc.
  5. Offline

Absolutely, Thomas. Wrong is wrong and I'll not be rasping anything. The peroxide sounds good and a brush .
    I can't get there every day so maybe I can ask one of the teens that works there is they'd like a job.
    I also don't understand why she's 10 now and I never had a problem till this year. My theory was that the farrier that I had for 1.5 years never rolled/blunted the edges, and led to separation of the outer hoof wall from the laminae. Then the opportunistic little buggers had plenty of room to invade. Her feet always chipped away the last few weeks. This farrier is sl.rolling the edges, and her feet stay together nice, no chips after 6 weeks, so I'm hoping we can get her white lines nice and tight again.

Barefoot is not a fad here, there's little reason for shoes for most people here. It's sugar sand and grass, the ring is sand and clay. Horses are turned out all day or all night. Trails are basically sand as well. But if she should need shoes, she will get them.
  6. Offline

"I also don't understand why she's 10 now and I never had a problem till this year. My theory was that the farrier that I had for 1.5 years never rolled/blunted the edges, which led to separation of the outer hoof wall from the laminae. "

Thomas, on top of that, I think that in the pasture, there is a hay roll under a small roof. But in front of the hay roll is wet muck. So when they eat, they're standing in it. Otherwise, she would not be stepping in manure or muck.
  7. Offline

Update: I tried the new hooves out on Sunday, and my horse was a gaitin fool! Very nice going, and stayed in rhythm.

I also got someone helping me keep her feet cleaned out.

It's a good thing!