Hot Seating

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Lclayton,

then ,as I'm sure you will agree, by all means keep doing the good work, but you and i ,I feel, have gotten away from the subject of if the hoof gets sealed. Again, it's not for or against hot shoeing, Do the tubules get sealed?

Regards

ray
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Osmotic pressure can very easily exceed 600PSI. So I don't believe that it is possible to seal the tubules against water migration for any length of time. You might drive off some moisture with heat and melt the ends of the tubules shut, but if the horse stands in wet more than it stands in dry, the hoof is going to absorb water no matter what you do to it. It ain't like your going to make it water proof.
  3. Offline

Ray, I thought your tool box was keeping water from splashing up on you through the floor. ???
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Tom,

but then does the hoof tubules take in or give off moisture thru the ends or thru the sides, or both?

Regards

Ray
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Tom,

"cepting Alice"

Regards

ray
  6. Offline

I think both. I don't think there is as big a difference as there is with wood (especially hardwoods) absorbing through end grain vs. absorbing across the grain.
  7. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I believe the theory of sealing the tubules is one that really amounts to nothing. I hot fit because I don't feel like having to heat a cold shoe up if it doesn't fit the first time. It also make it easier to cut the clips in.
  8. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

I like it because I can burn the foot nice and flat , box the shoe to my burn , and get a good clip fit.
  9. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I was surprised Dave Farley didn't own one of those antique electric hoof searing irons from the early '80s instead using some 1/4" plate.
  10. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Why do I think your serious about that Brian? That almost motivates me to get out of my chair and go find the journal downstairs.
  11. Offline

Jeff Holder World Domination

burn smurn what was the question again I got lost
  12. Offline

Christos Axis Member

I believe it does seal them, Ray, since it finally makes the surface harder, denser. It softens it with the burn and as it cools down it becomes noticeably harder. So IMHO it does go like melting the surface together and sealing it in the process. It is also my feeling that after a few weeks in very wet conditions the burned surface holds together a lot better , does not seem to absorb that much water. Much like having burned a film of plastic on it. That for burning well, with a dark red shoe. If just burning to mark with a black shoe I do not believe it will melt or seal the tubules to any significant difference.

I do not believe that burning the shoe on prevents the hoof wall from absorbing water or from drying out. But yes, it does seal and protect the bearing surface.
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Christos,

I understand that you"believe" that it seals and I sure that most other folks who say that it seals believe it also, I'm not questioning what you"believe" I'm asking if someone has proof or can point me to a study etc. of what they say they believe. What one believes may in fact be true,or not!

thanks

Regards

Ray
  14. Offline

vthorseshoe Active Member

Tom do you believe everything Bill Adams says ?

My 2 cents worth ;)
  15. Offline

Christos Axis Member

Hmmm... I was trying to explain why I believe so, not so much to describe what I believe. To me, the fact that it softens, melts, and then it becomes harder and shinier, is proof of sealing it. Not proof enough to be absolutely sure, I agree.

I know of no studies either on the subject, but give me a few days and I'll try to get you some data when I have a couple of nice thick rings of hoof wall to make some measurements. I'll burn it both sides and then leave it in water together with an unburned ring from the other hoof. I can then weigh them at 1 hour, 6, 12 and 24 hours and see what we get, how much water they will absorb. I'll try to take some pictures from a microscope too, they may help clarify things.
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Christos,

Thanks, I look forward to reading what you find.

Regards

Ray
  17. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

Christos, you must have a lot of time on your hands tomorrow.
    ;)
    Ray, I don't know of a study. I don't know if you would be able to find a credible study.

What Christos is purposing might be as close as you can get.

Just curious is everyone could agree that environment plays a bigger role then hot fitting in the hoof.

What would happen if you didn't hot fit put painted the bottom of the hoof with a sealant? Or hot fit and then paint the bottom?
  18. Offline

Spot On Shoeing __________________

Good idea.

If I had to design an informal experiment my steps would be:
    1)take a pair of cadaver feet, same horse, and trim them flat.
    2)Burn one
    3) set both feet in about 1cm of stained water, I would consult somebody on what to use as a biological stain.
    4)After a set period of time dry the feet and re-rasp the feet to see if there is an appreciable difference in stain uptake between the two.
  19. Offline

Christos Axis Member

Yeap, I have all the time tomorrow, but no hoof that would provide any wall to work with. One horse only and he may not even need rasping. Maybe on Thursday. But I will shave a slice or two to burn and see under the microscope.

The cadaver and stain is a very good idea, but cadavers are extremely difficult to obtain around here, people are too sensitive about chopping the hooves off their dead horse. I may give the University a try, I am sure they have a few hooves hidden in a fridge . Who knows, they may even get involved.
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

I'm not sure that this has been studied ,that's why I asked, hopefully someone might be able to shed some or create some knowledge.
    Thanks
    Regards

Ray