Hot Seating

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

Sorry Ray I've been a little busy getting my forge back together and getting ready for Madison. I need to look up the pages where I read it and get back to you ,But it looks like James found some info for you.
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thanks William, and thanks to James(Spotonshoeing)

Regards

Ray Steele
  3. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

So if it doesn't seal the horn tubes, does it seal the lamellar? I will have to say since moving over here I have seen a lot of hooves in a wet environmnet. I have seen hooves improve greatly since I began to hotshoe, but is this due to setting up a good hoof care program or only to the hotshoes? It was very interesting reading some of the scientific explainations.
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

William,

just a nudge,

any chance to look up the pages that you mentioned? thanks

Ray Steele
  5. Offline

William Kiner WCB # 362

Sorry I've been in the shop practicing and forgot about looking this up. I believe the name of the book was A Treatise on rasps and files.
  6. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

I've not read that article but over the decades I've read it loads of times and in a variety of publications and have come to believe it's a matter of fact and as such is not a myth and has been researched. Though I've just spent a little time looking up my old books and though it mentions that hot shoeing helps in terms of sealing the epithelial cells and also not losing keratin when feet are too wet, I can't actually see any references to specific studies aside from a casual mention of something by J Macqueen FRCVS, Professor of Surgery at the Royal Veterinary College, London. That's in a book I have that's quite old though.

7. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Weather the structures are hollow, solid, hard or soft, a hot shoe is going to melt and seal all of the above, or below as we push the shoe down.
    A great way to demonstrate this is to grasp a slightly red shoe with your hand and observe how the area that the shoe touched is nicely sealed.
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thomas,

thanks for looking it up, could you provide the name of the book that it was mentioned in , I'll try to look it up on the net. As you interpretted,was it Macqueens opinion or had he shown some evidence9anecdotal or otherwise, to support what he had written?

Thanks again

Ray Steele
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Mr Adams ,

if you will grasp the hot shoe ,I will remove the seared skin, pour the micro brewed craft ale onto it and report back to you as to weather we need to further seal your wound! This for science, and if the results are not demonstrated to your satisfaction, sealed or otherwise, so long as you have provided a 12 pack or more we will continue the experiment and I will continue reporting until we run out of brew or you run out of seared skin!

Comparing skin to hoof tubules, I'm not to sure about the relativity,but I'm in if it's your skin, I'll provide the heat, the stout and my own earplugs.

I can't believe you offered to do this, for science no less. Do you want me to nail the shoe up after your hand is seared,not sure if it will be sealed! Would you prefer a 2nd or 3rd degree burn? I wonder why the medical people put antibiotics on burns if the skin is sealed the way you say? Oh what do they know anyway?

Regards

Ray
  10. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

It's an interesting thing that those who plie our trade know that small third dregee burns hurt less than small first or second degree.
    Ale is an integral part of a properly supplied First Aid Station on one's truck. I'm sure another scientific discussion could ensue with majority agreement of the fact that glass bottles with whole grain beverage, set in an ice water slurry, offer superior pain relief for burned hands.
  11. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thought I'd check to see if the site is up and running

Regards

Ray Steele
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

folks

This thread ,while asking a question about an article that was written seemed to keep turning to a hot/cold shoeing until Christo introduced some literature.

Have you noticed a difference in hooves that have been hot shod vs cold? I'm asking from the point of hoof integrity, specifically , as an ex. have you noticed more or less white line problems hot vs cold or bare?

regards

Ray Steele
  13. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Seems to me that when I've done a good burn on a wet foot that when I come back to that foot at the next shoeing the horn is in better shape on top of the shoe. I tend to burn on with a lot more heat when the foot is wet - also leave more foot to burn down.
  14. Offline

Christos Axis Member

Yes, Ray, definitely less white line issues with hot shoeing, if any at all. The same for the lower part of the wall.
  15. Offline

George Spear Member

I shape all shoes hot and feel I am much better able to achive the shape I want in the shoe than cold. I hot fit all horses that will accept it and take the time to acclimate the ones that are worried about the smoke so that I can hot fit them too.

When I started doing this the feet improved. Its was quite a few years ago but the difference was staggering.

Also it seems to impress folks and helps me charge more.
  16. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ray,
    I did a reset this week, and I hot fit one front and cold fit the other. One foot was nasty, the other was not. I didn't really need to take the shoes to the anvil, but decided to try a little experiment. I made a note to take pictures of the feet next time I go back.

Regards
  17. Offline

As promised, here are the pictures, labeled. I think the W/L looked better on the hot shod foot, but not by much. The near side foot was cold shod, the off side was hot fit. Maybe some of you sharper eyed folk can see something in the pics, as poor as they are:

Attached Files:

18. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Rick did you hot fit them after the trim this time?
    if you did i might have left more on
  19. Offline

No, he had his last show this past weekend, so now he'll be barefoot 'til spring, unless something bad happens. .Would you have left more wall, sole, or both? He's a Morgan, 13 years old, and has strong (but upright) hind shaped feet on the front. I rolled the toe pretty good. I appreciate any input.

Regards
  20. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I would probley have left more on even if he was not getting shod
    and going from shoes to bare foot i would have taken less off IMO