I may have to find a new career

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Draftshoer, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

with horse populations at an all time high

WTF???????

Dana, you must be talking about someplace far away from Michigan. I think, we are going to see see a 30% drop in our state's horse population in the next census (2020). Too many wannabees and trimmers plus the price wars have already started.
  2. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

I do believe this myself, Brian. the US used to slaughter 25,000 TONS of horses every year until the slaugher houses were shut down (another debate) and i firmly believe that when Dobbin comes down lame, cut up in the pasture or trailer or is diagnosed with navicular, instead of getting a couple hundred dollars for him from the local hacker, they are shoved out to pasture to live out their lives in misery until they die or can't stand anymore.
  3. Offline

Jack Evers Active Member

I started in Oklahoma in 1962 at $7.00 and that was the going rate, I wasn't undercutting anyone.
  4. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Dana, when the Canadian plants open for US horses, they ship there. When the Canadian plants don't accept US horses, they make the long trip to Mexico. For some Equine Vet's in the Great lakes region, euthanasia is the procedure that is "paying the light bill", keeping the trucks on the road. Eventually all the old, infirm, unwanted and/or colicy horses are going to be dead and gone; then maybe they will be spaying cats on their tailgate to keep going or they'll heading back for Med school to become "REAL" doctors. LOL

My dad and his horse buddies, all between 80 and 95 yrs young, believe the horse business will return to the way it was in the '50s/early '60s, where only the VERY wealthy and the neighborhood weirdo had horses.
  5. Offline

Platerforge Guest

They opened up the slaughter houses; they had to!!! [another debate]...but now with all the owners doing themselves to save money....you are right on one thing; Dobbin will be put out without any care at all or to meat. most now will not even get a shoer!!! that's Anyone; and even the BUA's are complaining they can get there $50- $100 trims anymore. I know of 3 out of business now; but so are the farriers; all the good ones moved; leaving the average ones here. the track has ran out all the good platers; and I am retiring from it this year; and starting fresh with getting re involved in forging, handmade shoeing [that's going to be were the money is going to be at] WCB competitions, ect. all the good horsemen are out--- leaving only the casual rider and owner; who know's nothing and wants nothing but cheap service.
    I made an extra $120 [cash] to shoe a horse that was shod by it's old owner; crippled it; new owner knew me for years and knew I would do excellent job trying to help this bugger. Shod it, and hot shod too(y) ; went sound;)....
    but the industry is imploding on itself...because of lack of understanding on the importance of good farrier care and horsemanship altogether.
  6. Offline

Platerforge Guest

here's a story:.............the platers were getting up to $16 at the track in the sixies; and Johnny kept an old bill [c. 1967-1969] with the new price of $18.00; and in it the owner wrote a note about the high price to shoe his racehorses.
    granted now; they were all winning, or cutting a check and this was from a wealthy owner who could afford it.
    Owner almost lost Johnny; but he paid the bill; because no one else had his horses so well shod.
  7. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Who makes money at WCB competitions?
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

No shoeing schools
  9. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Shawn Beane......$10,000 last year.....it's on UTube
    that's just one competition
  10. Offline

slowshoe Member

Its a very expensive contest to enter. Thats t he only reason I have not competed in more of them. I think the ones that do well compete in every contest around the country and build up points.

posted from my mobile.
  11. Offline

So Linda, you think you can sweet talk him and everybody else that's competing into letting you win?
  12. Offline

Platerforge Guest

did not know that.....well I am getting to a point in my life where this is on my bucket list; before I get to old to do it. I turn 50 yrs old in April. Traveling the country and world and doing what you love; seems good to me. it's worth the money to live out your dreams.
  13. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Well I'll try:love:

Hey Tommy; at least I will be the prettiest one around:p
  14. Offline

Not if Kim shows up.
  15. Offline

Platerforge Guest

now wait a minute here!! I am a very good looking Dame you know.
  16. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

I won't be wearing a thong. Lol
  17. Offline

Platerforge Guest

then Honey Child.....you just lost the competition:LOL::ROFLMAO::X3:;)
  18. Offline

Platerforge Guest

hey Tommy, you'll have to take a pic of the handmade creaser and see if it works in forging out a shoe.(y)
  19. Offline

Forging with picture of handmade creaser . . . probably need hard lighting for that.
  20. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Linda his name is Steven Beane and that competition is not a WCB competition. From the guys I have talked to it runs around $2,000 to compete at a WCB competition, including travel and hotels etc. Maybe Eric can elaborate on the cost to compete.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List