Jammed up coronary bands

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Christos Axis, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Yes sir fractured P3 also on front (left fore)
  2. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

One on your book for long or just down for the crked p3?
  3. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Just in clinic for fracture got to work on him 3 times
  4. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

He a bit cow hocked?

There's a nice foot in there, proper trimming and shoe fit might have helped out with the sole.

DSC_3618.JPG
  5. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

In most incidences with these types of Qrt horses the right hind will show that type of jamming. Usually from over trimming of the latred heel. RHFD. Throw in, "in most horses the hock is orientated 11-15 degree laterad" and throw in the muscalature of the inner thigh of these horses jamming will occur. JME. That is why I need the leg you had worked on. Bet now since you have had 3 attempts the foot has become more accomodating to normal foot function.....:)
  6. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

RF?
  7. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

RH!!
  8. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Knew it Right something, usually the laterad heel is longer on a well trimmed foot;)
  9. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Here was another fun one
    DSC_3936.JPG DSC_3937.JPG DSC_3939.JPG DSC_3940.JPG
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

correct.
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

12. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Jay the 50,000.00 question is what discipline and what breed have seen this in two completely different breeds and disciplines.
  13. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

The sole is deposited by the corium in layers and exfoliates very much like your skin. Sometimes the layers do not exfoliate evenly if they exfoliate at all. Cleaning up the uneven layers (if they exist) and establishing a uniform "contour" is something I learned my first day in horseshoeing school. I was under the impression that that is just part of good hoof preparation. It is definitely something the examiners look for in the foot preparation part of the AFA practical exams, but they will also fail you in a heart beat if you take any functional sole. But jamming at the coronary band is the result of plastic deformation due to constant pressure, not intermittent pressure. So if the sole is affecting the wall and causing a jam at the coronary band, then there must be enough sole retained to create a constant weight bearing bridge that transmits force to the wall. No question this happens occasionally, but I would not isolate that as a discreet variable and hang my hat on it. And the hydraulic thing is a non starter. Sorry, no cigar, no hand grenade. Soft tissue is way to elastic to support that kind of conjecture.

Not missing the point. I just think you are making a big deal out of something "a new discovery" that most competent farriers already take into account and make adjustments to in their daily practice. I realize there are a lot of untrained hacks out there with one year of experience thirty times, but I've made a habit of surrounding myself with folks that exceed my capability. I've never put much effort into studying how the hacks operate.

Well I haven't worked in slower Delaware in about 5 years. I saw a lot of solar distortion down there early on in my practice and got into some heated debates with Patty Stiller regarding the sacred "live sole plane" absolute guaranteed M/L balance.

When one side of the sole is worn down and or stretched so thin you can move it with finger pressure, and the other is exfoliated, but not worn thin then the "live sole plane" is not a reliable M/L reference. And only a fool would try to trim the sole to an even contour in that situation. That's where Durasole comes in handy.

A simple test - isolate the variables - stop dressing wall flares and stick with just contouring the sole and trimming the bottom of the foot flat. If your hypothesis has merit, then you should be able to grow out the flares with only contouring the sole.

Really? So you can't support your argument with reason and logic and now you resort to citing "authority" - the same guy that Gene uses to back his claims. Why should I take Bowker's so called "research" seriously? His dead horse laboratory suppositions remain untested and devoid of peer review. And don't think I haven't challenged Dr. Bowker directly just as I am challenging you - hopefully before you have a bunch of jumpers on the bandwagon plunging like som many lemmings over the cliff.

I corresponded with Bowker years ago on his "discovery of supposedly undiscovered proprioceptors" in the hoof, and his suppositions regarding their function. Evidently he never read Dollar and Wheatley. He took rather bold liberties with the terminology and did a rather protracted tap dance with me when I called him on it. If you discuss his "research" with a real neurologist you might find out why he is a joke to me, and many others that saw the snake oil behind the charm. Really, I'm not making this stuff up, but Bowker has made up a lot of stuff that does not stand up to scrutiny and he really does not want to debate his findings at a scientific level because he doesn't have the chops for that. The BUA loves him!

John, it is kind of hard to do that on a live horse. Has the thought ever occurred to you that dead tissue with no blood circulation may behave differently under a load than live tissue with active circulation?

Have you studied the difference between plastic deformation and elastic deformation? MOE, MOR, MOF cyclic loading failure? Ya know it is OK to do stuff that works without understanding WHY it works. But when you jump in over your head to explain WHY, your reasons don't make sense and you are left grasping at straws and citing authority with no credibility - which damages your credibility.

Well maybe they ought to go 5 weeks.

I remove length from the bottom, because taking it from the top is hard on the coronary band. I dress wall distortions to create zero gaussian curvature. A Euclidean geometry concept I learned during my adventures in Naval Architecture.

Move the lever.

Move the lever.

So can I, and some little bit of me learning that is Jaye's fault. :p

Move the lever.
  14. Offline

aliciathompson Member

15. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Tom understand moving the lever or load pressure and agree with you I never said I was trying to reinvent the trim. I know that the even contour of the hoof is not a new idea and that most of the old school farriers know and practice this concept. seem like some where along the line the industry as a hole has stopped practicing simple trimming. I know this will open a can of worms and the problem is not with the few (when I say this it is a small percentage) of farriers that keep up with continuing education this part of the country (Midwest) we have far more horse shoers than farriers We have gone from gutting the quarters to loading then. And it always comes back to the basics balance, support and load. I have had the opportunity to look as several MRI's and have been very interested in how the plantar cushion is displaced with different hoof types and after working on these hoofs seeing the hoof capsule change and plantar cushion change shape and placement. Oakridge Equine was part of a navicular study where the horses had MRI's and certain shoeing specifications a positive 3 to 5 degree p/a and a 15 mm break over and even medial lateral balance and after one year MRI again this is where I saw where the changes in the internal structures. Yes it was on a limited number of horses. The study was for a drug not the internal structure pressure. But after seeing the improvement in just shoeing protocol and the horses that received the placebo and relating the hoof capsule movement along with the changes of the internal structures led me to pay closer attention to sole to see if just small imperfections make a difference and in my small practice it does. I have the opportunity to work on horses from a 5 state region most I only get to work on them until lameness is resolved and then again when lameness recurs. And in more cases than not I find balance problems along with sole problems. Not having the fund and time to MRI each horse to see the internal changes I have to go off what I see changing in the soft tissue area such as the bulbs and coronet. I think that the lack of proper education is not just isolated to us Okies and Arkansas hillbillies that it is all over the country. I by no means am i trying to say that what is called live sole plane is where medial lateral balance. and yes you can minimize flares by just paying attention to the whole hoof capsule as you well know because farriers that contour and trim the hoof as a hole do not have flares in there every day practice.
  16. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

The only breed i haven't "seen this type" of FUBAR"" is the Paso.....DLSDl( the arcyro my have to many letters, sorry a good merlot) is the promienent Fubar.;)
  17. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Here was another fun one
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    Wow John, I have only ever seen that kind of "fold over heels" on the fronts of English Pleasure Arabs with a crippled diaginal hind.

As far as that sole jam, my old eyes see stacked heels with the corresponding retained sole. Is all retained sole Jammed?
  18. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Is prejudiced sole good or bad? Again, " sole production or lack thereof
    is a lack of function or proper function?" One has to recognize the + or - of sole is determinate of the horse, disipline, "faults" and or envioroment IMO.
  19. Offline

John Muldoon Member

This is the back end of a QH halter horse the other one I have seen it in was a saddlebred 5 gated mare in both cases trying to leave all the heel and that was the first thing the trainers in both cases said to me fix them but do not touch the heels. Go figure
  20. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

That's the first thing they teach a halter horse trainer to say when they're learning to talk - "Don't touch the heels" then next thing is "how much do you charge" and the answer is always too much.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List