Karatoma recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Shane Wood, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Either way, you are responsible for the decision and the act.

Indeed. But you don't get to blame somebody else for the outcome of your decisions, especially when you represent yourself as a competent professional.

And you would lie under oath rather than admit you acted against your better judgement?

You are patently wrong.

See above.

I'm calling your bluff. How about you post the public record of the case and the court's decision and we'll go from there. That way we see the facts of the case and don't have to speculate on a "one sided story" you heard told by somebody with a vested self interest.

It is a really ludacris argument that you are making here, Rick. To not take responsibility for what you knowingly do against your best judgement is unethical and often illegal. OTOH, if your argument is to represent yourself as incompetent . . .
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I believe that our opinion at best is subjective, Shane did not with any certainty act to cause that horse a problem, Its a good thread put up by a skilled and competent farrier for advice. I would respectfully ask that if you want to give a farrier drumming for his actions then you dont do it in this thread.
    Tom I enjoy reading your view on things and look forward to you starting a thread on ethical conduct.
  3. Offline

David, we all take risks on the job. We don't "know for certain" how things will turn out. Good judgement comes from bad experience. Ethical people OWN THEIR MISTAKES and learn from them.

But do not ask me to respect your driving if you point the finger and blame a backseat driver when it is your hands are on the wheel and you drive the car off the road and get stuck when you could see the mud for yourself. You took the risk, now take the responsibility. Anything less is irresponsible.
  4. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Start a new thread Tom.
  5. Offline

If you want a new thread, then you start it. I'm done with this one.
  6. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Shane, when I have had to deal with a foot as compromised as this one was, I have had success doing exactly what you did, though I often use a bar shoe instead of open heals. The object in my mind is to redistribute some weight from the walls to the frog and sole. Since the foot made such a nice recovery, it obviously worked for you. A couple of thoughts, though.

That is a lot of foot growth in 6 months. Is it possible that in trying to trim the compromised wall to get to solid horn that the sole has gotten a little thinner, and is not comfortable with the equipac any more? If you see that the horse truly is sore, you might just try a leather pad and magic cushion and some softer packing.

Since it sounds like the owner is getting a little shy about opening his wallet, and if you really want to keep the account, I would probably go to the pads for free, and see how it works.

You did say that you got a text message from the owner and they were unhappy. Sometimes text gives the wrong impression, and when you talk to the owner it's not as bad as it seems.

I don't remember that you said what event the horse was in, when it "won the world" barefoot. But you might gently remind the owner that the horse is no longer the same one physically as when it won. It is missing a piece of it's coffin bone, for chrissakes. It's likely laminitic.

I'm guessing that you have the vet on board with you on this. His/her backup recommendation that the horse needs shoes, at least for a while longer, could be very valuable.

From what you've written, it sounds like the fact that the horse "won the world barefoot" is more important to the owner than the horses comfort. That's not unusual in the barefoot camp. Or, maybe it's just the money. Oh wait, that's right. it usually IS the money.

Good luck.

Regards
  7. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Wow...last I check this thread there wasn't much here...go out and work for the day come home to find the mice have goine and seriously played.

Some points for clarity...

When the horse had his shoes removed trimmed and left barefoot this his how it went... Cut clinches, remove shoes, clean sole, trim frog, trim hoof on "bad" limb, start to nail on the shoe and the owner interjects..."Hey before you put that back on...do you think we can leave him barefoot?" I respond with my advise of no he needs the support and protection on the compromised limb, and he needs the shoe on the other hoof for balance between the limbs. The owner presses me to sign off on barefoot, I continue to protest and the owner finally says "I want him left barefoot and we can see how he goes". The owners expressed their plan for their horse, the shoes are already off and ready to be reset when she says no shoes. So now what do I do? Put the shoes on against her will? I expressed over and over again how I felt this was going to turn out badly. But with the shoes already off for refit and reset she said leave them off? Can I legally put them on against the owner's will?

The horse was in a bar shoe from surgery until 6 months post opp in the photos. At that point he was put into the open heels with frog support and was going well. The last pics I posted are from april of last year and he was sound. The shoes was pulled in Sept. Put back on in October with just a pour in pad. Hasn't been "sound" since.

I went out today and took pictures with the land owner/care taker/father's permission. Got my butt "scolded" by the horse owner/daughter for not "keeping [her] in the loop".

They have no idea how close they are to being fired. I don't need the account. Today...I don't remotely want the account.

Pics from today in the next post...
  8. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

The horse didn't want to stand still today so I did the best I could....

photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 3 (3).JPG

photo 3.JPG
  9. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Left...

photo 1.JPG

Right
    photo 4.JPG

Right
    photo 2.JPG
  10. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Left
    photo 1 (2).JPG

Left...
    photo 2 (2).JPG

Right...
    photo 3 (2).JPG

Right
    photo 4 (2).JPG
  11. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

All the pictures from today are four weeks since his reset. He seemed to be moving well today, but I was the one leading him and all he did was walk. So not a very good judge of soundness.

I realize that a bigger shoe wouldn't hurt him.

They told me today that they will be taking him to the vet clinic soon for an ultrasound. So we will see what the vet tells them. Hopefully he won't be throwing me under the bus. :)
  12. Offline

Platerforge Guest

you did the best you could under the circumstances ....... they want to go barefoot.....some reasons....they think it good since the horse was that before.....someone convinced them to go barefoot......or the BEST reason....lack of funds to continue shoeing this horse!!!!!
    these are the ones you need to get off your books; you learned on this horse; take notes and move on........they are advanced beginner horseowners...and just enough internet; book savy to make your job a living nightmare.
    just tell them......."you can not give them the service that you require" leave it at that; give them the bill and be on their way; if they ask who they should shoe their horse; not you; you already requested that they keep shoes on.
    let it be the vet worry now.
  13. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Lack of $$$ ain't the issue...willingness to spend it maybe...but they got it. Trust me they got it.
  14. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

15. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Well that cleared it up. Care to expand on your opinion?
  16. Offline

Platerforge Guest

reread post #3.....it will answer my post and here.
  17. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Sorry, Shane....you are trying with such a difficult case. it just appears to be a little imbalance in the trim; but I was not there; and don't how hard it was for you to get where have gotten with this horse. your right on the a bigger shoe. next time; maybe can look at the heels more, little high on the one side. you will get things done, hope for the best for you.:)
  18. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Had I pulled shoes and trimmed before owner asked about leaving bare, I would have stated that we are past that point at this time but will consider at the next setting where we can leave a bit of length for barefoot. I would have also stated that I don't advise pulling shoes in Feb. on any horse that has been shod up to this point, at least not w/o some prep for several weeks by the owner(Durasole). If horse is to be a pasture pet, late april or may is good time to pull shoes. At least in my area. I watch the weather when considering changes for alot of horses.

What loop? She told you to leave him bare.

After talking the owner into waiting a bit to pull shoes, I would then have had time to consider this for a bit.
  19. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

The barefoot episode was sept-oct. Then when he didn't do well theshoes have been put back on and here we are. He has never stopped being sore from having the shoes removed the end of last year.

Yeah I see the M/L imbalance. Will fix that if they decide to continue using my services and I decide to continue to provide it to them.
  20. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Gary, by 'terrible trim', I presume that you are referring to this
    photo 2z.JPG

and this
    photo 3 (2)z.JPG

but I think this is having an effect too...
    photo 3 (2)x.JPG

I think it's a hard one to get right.