Karatoma recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Shane Wood, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Clint helped in what I couldn't explain, thanks. I can't draw.....don't know how you do that on the computer
  2. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Can't do the lines either, and the horse didn't look so toed it from the photos presented...my bad...did you ever put barshoes or even a heartbar for a short time? Looks like the foot kinda fell through itself, that makes the wall do what it did..IMO
  3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Shane, I was wondering the same....????
  4. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Yes... Thought I had a picture of it but I don't. He had a bar shoe, and frog support pad on during the time he was "healing" from the surgery in Nov of 2011. He had the bar shoe on until April of 2012. At that point I moved him into an open heel with side clips. He did well. The hoof appeared to be healed and he exhibited good progress. He was released by the vet for "light work". Here is where the problems started, IMO. The girl that owns this horse does not understand the meaning of "light work". Her idea of a light day is 2-3 hours of walking trotting and "limited" canter. :eek:

In spite of all that he continued to do well. Some sole bruising continued to show and I continued to say I thought she was pushing him too hard and I wanted to put some pads on him. But because the bruising was less than this....[IMG]

Than she thought it was getting better. FYI this is was the "good" hoof some time about a month post op.

After being in open heel shoes with side clips from April 2012 till some time in Sept-Oct she decided she wanted him bare foot. And here we are.

I told her from the beginning that this horse very likely will need shoes of some kind, possibly pads, bar shoe, who knows for the rest of his life. He is older now and he is a big (overweight #1400) horse. He has a compromised boney column and all that adds up to a real good chance he will need shoes and may never recover "fully". Rushing his recovery and to get him back under saddle IMO was a huge mistake. But what do I know...
  5. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

And yes his legs, knees, hooves are as crooked as a snake's back.

I do hope when the vet looks at him they take rads, because I would LOVE to know his sole depth now compared to his last set of rads early last year some time.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Its just me, but with that much bruising....they don't see that and feel they need to stay off him...I would go back with a frog support pad if it was me..wide web for sure or full bars..
  7. Offline

david a hall Moderator

That bruising is a serious amount of inflammation. You get pockets of that clear or yellow fluid serum. Once that has gone you can say its fixed.
  8. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

just bruising ? sure theres no rotation ?
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

They usualy sink a bit as a matter of course. They founder a bit if it was a weak capsule in the first place.
  10. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

No I'm not...they haven't had rads since Feb-March of last year I think. I'm going to be checking tomorrow to see when the last pics were taken. But I'm pretty sure there haven't been any taken since this time last year.
  11. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

During the time of that inflammation both the good and bad hoof had pads on.

I'm telling ya this poor sucker was in a serious amount of discomfort through this ordeal. I am surprised he is doing as well as he has done. Even with the latest turn of events. I never thought he would turn out this well. I figured it would be a life long struggle to get him sound and comfortable carrying himself around much less ever being ridden again.

When I get the rads from the clinic I will post them.

John M. has always said that the after care is what makes us hero's or zero's. I can tell you this is one hero that fell from grace and became a zero fast enough to make your head spin. :oops:
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

The last one I did this bad was a year to 14 months. It is two forward one back.
  13. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Well I wish it was two forward and one back...feels like we are going one forward and two back most of the time.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Pre op rads...

Srad1.jpg srad2.jpg srad3.jpg srad4.jpg srad5.jpg srad6.jpg
  15. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Post op rads...

srad7.jpg srad8.jpg srad9.jpg
  16. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

I have been informed that someone else has been called in for a second opinion. I have been asked to do the work that this other person prescribes. However to my knowledge I do not get to meet with this person, nor do I get to know who this person is, it's feeling a lot like I am working for someone smarter than I am.
  17. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to recuse yourself from this situation.
  18. Offline

Shane Wood Oklahoma

Indeed!
  19. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I would have to find out what the "second opinion" is, hopefully in writing, than take the opportunity to respectfully decline the work. But definitely get out. Too bad you had to put up with this crap, after the nice work you did.

Regards
  20. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

So again you take all the risk and have no say in how the job is done.

If I were you I would offer to be there to observe the other person fill their own prescription with their own hands. Since it would present a valuable learning opportunity for me to see someone with presumably superior skill and knowledge in action, I would offer to observe the event free of charge. But that is as far as I would be willing to "participate."