Keratoma?

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Stef, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Offline

Stef Member

Super quick question: I shod this horse first time on Monday and something looked weird to me. So I just pulled the shoe today again, cleaned up the hoof a bit and there it is! Should I start to sharpen the knifes? ;-)
    Vet will come out next week and take X-rays, horse is sound since around 6-9 months but had many issues with abscesses or lameness with suspected abscess before.
    Any ideas? image.jpg
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Steffi,

What i ve seen that look like this have exhibited the abcesss history and on and off lamness, one horse that I still working with has the on off lameness for 4 to 5 yrs. now along with a # of other issues.

I m suggesting that surgery is not in the MOS description of farriers/horseshoers/iron hangers etc.. so don t sharpen your knives for this unless you plan to loan them to the attending vet.

Regards

Ray
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Certainly looks like one.
  4. Offline

Stef Member

Thank you, Ray, and no worries - I would never touch something like this. I am sharpening my knifes to hand them to our vet (and I am also checking if my Dremel from my old handcrafty times still works). I am definitely looking forward to this whole procedure - however it turns out to be. About 9 months ago I had to resect (with guidance from our vet) just a tiny bit of hoof wall and even though I knew I was not even getting close to sensitive structures I was basically peeing myself out of fear to mess something up.
    Will post updates soon....
  5. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Could very well be. I got to watch one opened up at the vet hospital. Was nice to watch.