Lateral Extensions good or bad

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by david a hall, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Gary the question is quite deliberately vague. I like these sorts of threads we all learn, what to do, what not to do, when to and when not to, consequences, long term and short term.
    The people who prescribe these ancilery features quite often dont understand them, a farrier or two in a previous thread were wondering how to contradict the vet if they thought it was the wrong thing to do. Threads like this help people to argue the case to clients and vets.
    Personally I agree with you, I use extra width to restore symmetry in the toe or heel, and quite often both where the foot has contracted back on one side, so a balanced shoe allows the foot to still stand on a good amount of shoe and the perimeter of the shoe would then give enough width to represent where the foot should be.
    In the case of a crushed heel then a bar shoe (straight) will prevent the independent movement between the heels that causes shearing, and a raft of pathology right up to its ears.
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I was practicing a bit back, I use dead uns as I have an abundance of them.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Laterals quite often come up in the exams so I practice lots of different ways.
  3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

David, it seems to me that your examples do not represent the "foot" that should be, but instead they provide additional leverage to direct ground reaction forces in a way that benefits the horse above the foot, as you say up to the ears. ;)

I look forward to seeing your ear support specimen shoes as I have this Percheron mare what has a kink in her right ear making it point 90deg. to the off-side. So far, despite getting all the cracks to grow out of her feet with regular trimming, I haven't had much luck with that ear.
  4. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Really nice work! I do however wonder why you have so many dead clients on which to practice......;) :)

In the photo below (also a dead leg?), it appears that you've set the toe of the shoe back from the perimeter of the wall. If this is indeed the fact, would you please explain why you did so. Thanks.

[IMG]
  5. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

David my view is that an extension should be used like you say to rebalance the hoof capsule to an even weightbearing surface on either side of the foot , the problems we encounter see the extension fitted far to long and wide putting to much stress on the outside quarters wich after not much time cause problems in the hock .too many are being fitted by inexperienced farriers after being prescribed by inexperienced vets .i have seen strommys fitted unneccessarily when all that was required was a basic foot dressing and the application of a balanced shoe
  6. Offline

Rick all my hind shoes are fitted like that except when toeclips are used
  7. Offline

Thanks, Chris.

I'm not asking this to be impertinent, but, why?
  8. Offline

its a hunter fit and used a lot in the uk , it helps prevent overreaching , it is the way i was trained and became second nature shoeing horses that way when using quarter clips , as i said i fit to the toe when using toe clips
  9. Offline

It would be hard not to, wouldn't it? ;)

Thanks for the explanation.

Rick
  10. Offline

you havent seen my clipping in LOL
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I thought I had sent you the reason for all the dead ones :).
    As for th toe fit, these dead ones can get galloping around in the mud so best push them back under to prevent limb interference. :D
    Actually it was just a style that I use a lot in the winter. set toe would be better, but you never know what they are going to spring on you in an exam. But rest assured the rationals or scenarios bear no relationship to real world, as Marc will testify.
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

That is the problem when you practice, it is on feet that dont need them..
    The ear shoe will be posted soon :D
  13. Offline

Red Amor Active Member

Bloody oath your a dag Tom :ROFLMAO:

I went to a seminar the Tas racing mob put on down here that Carl Odwire presented

He made millions of shes in his factory which he sold to Mustad I think when he retired
    anyhow he said I make these shoes lat ext shoes you about an inch longer in heel n bent out a tad these used on trotters n pacers yeah anyway he said there shit the ruin horses cut the extentions off befor you put em on he said weve been to long doing the wrong thing
  14. Offline

AnthonyLawrence Active Member

Guys I've seen articles that recommend lateral extensions for upper level dressage horses as a matter of course. Indeed there are a lot of guys around me doing lateral extensions on just about everything.

I get slagged off for NOT doing it on most dressage horses.

Thoughts? Maybe I should start a new thread on setting up the dressage horse?
  15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

A Panacea that creates mediocrity An'tony. "Let's stop looking at the way of going of the horse...."
  16. Offline

lateral extensions and side clipped fronts on everything over here seems to be the fashion at the minute ,ask why and you are told because thats the way , because what ? tell me somebody please
    oh and imprint shoes
  17. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

It is fashionable Chris! But I am not "over there"........
  18. Offline

Ought to be slightly more interesting than a thread on watching paint dry. ;)
  19. Offline

is it the same at home then Jaye ?
  20. Offline