lax tendon for vet

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by travis dupree reed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Offline

jack mac Guest

Kim PenGen ? Is that the trade name it goes under over there for Benzylpenicllin commonly called penicillin G ?
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I think so. we have here K-Pen powder mixed with water
  3. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Kim,

Is that her normal stance with the front legs?
  4. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

So far it seems so, but not to the degree you see in the pic.
  5. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Is the Pen-G working? (cbc/dif) ? Or is it given prophylacticly (sp)?
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

This is going to take a while but sketching this foal out and a bit of anatomy will help in the treatment rationale. img066.jpg

img067.jpg

I have done a few of these but the front end not the back but the drill is the same. The last one I got was last year, the vets had been treating it for a month before hand and it was a sorry state. It had oozing sores from splints and walking on the front of its pasterns. The vet said do what you like and if it doesnt work no worries we were going to shoot it anyway.
    I wish I had photographed it but it is the last thing on my mind at the time.
    The key I find is to sketch the problem out work out where you need to load to lever something backwards and where to elevate to reduce contracture.
    You have gone so far with it that a bit more wont hurt.
    The lifting the heel wont cure it on its own you need a shot of tetracycline and if that doesnt work again two weeks later. Its not in the rulebook but we have done it and it worked.
    The coronary band isnt the only thing holding the capsule on, the other aspects of inter digitation also hold it in place including the sole. even if there is separation it will grow down behind it hopefully, just need to reduce the pressure on the corronary by the broken forward DIPJ, similar to the pressure in laminitis.
  7. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

As stated, "Joint ill".
    Mr. Hall, give us the reference in studies that shows "Tendon(s) in premies that effect the hind or "Lumbar' limbs. "Peroni", UGA, says it's "rare" but in the literature. Done my homework Beech...
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

As usual I have not a clue what you are talking about. Its not that I disagree with you at all, I just never understand a word you say or how you say it. If you mean is the pelvis rotated may be, Im sure joint ill means something but im not sure what. Am I trying to help yep.
    The trouble is we none of us know whats causing it you included, all I offer is a rationale. Info is free do with it as you want.
  9. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

Jay, I also don't understand you. You mention 'joint ill' though. Why? Are you thinking the foal has septic arthritis? Is that what you mean by that term?

That's what that is here. It's when infection invades the system in early days and often because of colostrum problem.

I thought though that this foal is a flexural limb deformity. either congenital or acquired.
    (n)
  10. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

"Joint ill"- septic detriment to joints due to non-sterilization of embilical cord. simple explanation.

Your incompacity to understand tells us that your "home work" "has been neglected".

Yep, "I am psssing in 'ur "Corn Flakes". A customary and usual breakfast cereal in the states.

Again, "lack of study and empiral experiences" states a lack of vision and artristy.
  11. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Yep Sir Thomas......:cool:
  12. Offline

so why would it be relevant to this case?
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Thats interesting thank you.
  14. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

I have seen and experienced 6 cases. Imprompto' surgery and those that have gone on to a job as a baby sitter. rare these days due to time and ambulatory of Vets. I am lazy, 'per verbatium' explanatory responses have a "tick" with me.

"Tick" meaning that people look for the " Ultimate Response or conclusion to slove a problem".

Horses are ever changing organisms; like us Sir Thomas :cool: Study 'ur jobs.......
  15. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

Jaye,
    If you think the horse has a septic joint(s) then say "I think the horse has a septic joint". I have no idea what "joint ill" means, but I have done plenty of studying and I have plenty of experience with flexural limb issues in foals.
  16. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Might of saved me sketching it out :D
    But I guess some people enjoy pssng in cornflakes.
  17. Offline

Jaye that's uncalled for.

'Joint ill' is an anachronistic term. Furthermore you didn't even write a sentence and your grammar and spelling is shocking.

What is a premies? What's incompacity?

why didn't you just say you thought the foal might have septic arthritis and why.

Though personally I'm still thinking flexural limb deformity.
  18. Offline

I too have seen several cases and never anything like we're seeing here.

Septic arthris normally affects after 5 days to 4 months and symptoms are swelling in joints and lameness.

Nothing like this one.
  19. Offline

dana fenn It's complicated . . . .

I guess i knew what joint ill was from the old timers years ago but didn't know it was also called septic arthritis.
  20. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Patrick,

As stated earilier in the thread, "Joint ill". You should read before you jump Pard!(n)