lax tendon for vet

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by travis dupree reed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Kim, I think you are doing a great job just as Mr Perry has said. It is always rough on the owner and people doing the work dont have that connection the owners has....SOOOO you are going through it all and experience is very important because you will see this again and have a better grasp of what has been done and how to go about it..
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Steve, The baby is still getting along just fine standing and nursing, then resting as needed. The left hind is detached at the heels but appears to still have a dorsal connection. The wedges took the pinch off the dorsal part of the coronary band as David illustrated, and aligned the hpa back up rather than being broken back. I wish now I'd gone with my original idea of the slight toe extension with the wedge. It looks much better now with that on.

I'm not sure what you mean, because before the joint was rocked forward and after the surgery it was near straight. Now with the wedges is even better orientated, though post legged. If she makes it through this, I'm hoping time will straighten that out more.
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

The contracture starts the problem. The joint distends even subluxates. other structures become tight and support the joint in miss alignment . Oxy tet relaxes the structures to alow mechanics of extensions or elevations to alter position of the joint.
    I doubt the superficial was severed was it? and I am fairly sure it re attaches, its not minus it forever. It still needs Oxy tet.
    If jaye is right which is possible then the outcome will be the same. If he isnt correct then it still needs treating as a FLD.
  4. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Yes: post 132
  5. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Kim,
    Do you have toe extension or a heel extension--David shows a heel extension in his (excellent) illustration. A toe extension would negate the wedge, wouldn't it? But maybe it would depend on "how much" extension versus "how much" wedging.
  6. Offline

DeniseMc Member

So with the wedges the HPA is better aligned and you no longer have pinching at the coronet (that's good). But if you keep her wedged up and don't administer Oxy tet as David suggests, won't that just continue to support the post leggedness?
  7. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

As important, does that not allow the tendon to heal at much the same length as it was before the surgery and thus negate the reason for the surgery in the first place?
  8. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Sorry, been watching to many episodes of "Swamp People"........:ROFLMAO:
  9. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

It's a terrible thing when a narrow-minded foreigner rebukes your anachronism! :ROFLMAO:
  10. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Tom, we don't "rebuke" anymore, we "dis". :D

Regards
  11. Offline

From what I understand wedging increases stress on the SFT.
    Also from what I've seen, With the wedges on the joint is further relaxed. And upon palpation, can feel a distinct separation of the tendon ends.
  12. Offline

Very slight toe extension coupled with a #3 bar wedge. Basically same as Dr. Redden does with his SFT tenotomy patients. Also same original thought I had, but went with what the Vets were telling me. Hind sight is 20/20.
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I have certainly used a toe extension on the fronts because they were walking on the front of the pastern. As the hind limb works the other way round then heel elavation should do. The long toe of the capsule would not benefit from the extension, that is where of sketching it out and having a grasp of anatomy can help evaluate it.
    Kim I would check with the vets whether it was partial or complete severing or was the inferior check lig cut?
  14. Offline

david a hall Moderator

wedging pushes the fetlock back dropping it slightly, we are talking up to 10 degrees if poss and then reducing the lift over 2 weeks with the rasp as the hpa becomes able to take the strain.
  15. Offline

David, it's a complete tenotomy of the SFT. The toe extension I have is very slight. I posted pics of the shoe on here. The Vet is very happy with the shoes, and the leg looks better.
  16. Offline

david a hall Moderator

did they suggest they will ska together?
  17. Offline

DeniseMc Member

My understanding too, but if the SFT is cut it doesn't matter, does it?
  18. Offline

david a hall Moderator

fetlock Joint and distal phalangeal joint has distended from the contracture, the elevation kicks it back.
  19. Offline

DeniseMc Member

[IMG]

My confusion comes from the text in your illustration that elevating heels takes pressure (tension?) off the superficial. Elevating heels actually causes an increase in tendon strain:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17451533
    Effect of toe and heel elevation on calculated tendon strains in the horse and the influence of the proximal interphalangeal joint.

joa0210-0583-f2.jpg

Thanks for the explanation about the distended joint moving back with elevation.
  20. Offline

Yes, because I want the cut ends of the tendon to fuse apart. What would be stress on the tendon is creating the appropriate gap.