lax tendon for vet

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by travis dupree reed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Just reiterating what the Vet said. I think this Vet sees mostly small animals. I'm calling my regular Vet tomorrow and asking again about the Tetracycline.

Yesterday
    uploadfromtaptalk1340232157964.jpg

Today
    uploadfromtaptalk1340232125613.jpg

Just for cuteness
    uploadfromtaptalk1340232179090.jpg
  2. Offline

Is it just my hopefullness, or is there improvement already?

Brian, I was just going on the "accidental" exposure date which was 8-23-11. I know they can foal a month earlier or later.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Hopefully the regular Vet doesn't think the way that one today did.
  3. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Give the horse the tetracycline if it doesn't help then your not out a whole lot. You can also stretch the legs on a regular basis(multiple times a day), or make some braces out of pvc pipe, your not going to fix that with a toe extension alone. Worked on one about six years ago that was that way in the fronts, owner was religious about stretching and using the braces, horse turned out ok but not perfect. The horse does some trail riding now.
  4. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

Justin you happen to have any pics of the braces..just intrested in how yall went about it for future needs if it comes up..
  5. Offline

Susan Holden Member

Kim Mal's had a couple of those treated with the oxytet. No other side effects in the ones he's seen. Have actually seen a minor result in a yearling, but the earlier the better.
  6. Offline

Susan Holden Member

Mal has just said that if left for a week or ten days allows them to build up more anti-bodies before they get the drug. What they said and did here anyway. Still worked in that time frame.
  7. Offline

I'll update tomorrow. I did some stretching twice today. Mare gets worried when I'm kneeling over the foal as it naps. She seems ok when I pet it while it's standing.
  8. Offline

jack mac Guest

That's Correct It can & interferer with its benefit of reserving its colostrum . If the foal temp & heart rate seems normal lungs sound clear.Gums have good colour & Foal is showing no sighs of infection.Then administering an antibiotic is point less & will only serve to up set calcium & phosphate levels. You said the weather has been hot. Then a electrolyte paste developed for foals would be of benefit & supplementation of fluids. Fresh clean Boiled water.
  9. Offline

jack mac Guest

10. Offline

jack mac Guest

Foal looks better hydrated & less tucked up. :)
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

A possible touch of diarrhoea.Chronic dehydration from Colitis kills. It is not an easy problem to deal with once you have constantly scouring young foals or Calf's. Seen as you are X-Spurts in growth plates, joints & bone development. I will leave you to it.:rolleyes:
  12. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

Chronic collitis!? stick to the facts and get a perspective!

Kim stop fannying about and get a good vet out pronto.
  13. Offline

I'm not "Fannying about". I'm consulting my Vet today.
  14. Offline

jack mac Guest

I'm glade you have diagnosed this foal having an infection & warranting antibiotics. If the Vet who attending the foal thought it showed ANY signs of an underling infection. I'm sure they would of prescribed a antibiotic injectable.
  15. Offline

jack mac Guest

I would be more concerned with the remaining umbilical cord & applying a topic of antiseptic to avoid tetanus & If the Mare was vaccinated for tetanus.To being able to pass on some of her antibodies in her colostrum . Till such time the foal could be vaccinated. :mad:
  16. Offline

jack mac Guest

Chronic dehydration from Colitis
    You stick to the facts
  17. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

I know they did stories with photos of the PVC leg braces in Western Horseman magazine years back. Someone makes them commercially, but I forget who.
  18. Offline

Travis Morgan Copenhagen. You can see it in my smile!

19. Offline

jack mac Guest

What do you see that is consistent in all four legs of this foal & what does that tell you ?
  20. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Travis, that was before I was taking pics. They may possibly still have them, I will ask and see. The owner actually came up with them. If I remember right he cut a piece of pvc in half and used it on the back of the leg and then wrapped it.