lax tendon for vet

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by travis dupree reed, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Update :

Baby is getting a tenotomy (sp?)

My Vet thinks its past help with Tetracycline and iffy on whether cuffs and a cast would work.
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

That is the best, I hadnt seen the last photos till this morning and a toe xtention was not gonna fix that.
  3. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

I'd say a tenotomy is iffy as well. Which one is he going to cut and where?
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

How many tenotomies has this vet done?
  5. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

a descision made at 48 hrs ?
  6. Offline

DFT in the vicinity of the Inferior Check Ligament. If it really is more the SFT than the DFT, would doing just the DFT make a difference or would they cut both? Suppose once they are in there, they'll be able to make a better determination of the contraction.
  7. Offline

I didn't ask.
    The owner of the clinic has been practicing for 30 years and has a largely equine practice. His son went to school and now works for him, but he oversees his work still.
  8. Offline

Yep said he would not wait much longer. I could try the cuffs if I wanted, but he recommended the surgery due to the amount of contraction.
  9. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

I know you totally struggle with reading and writing and thinking but you claim to be working with horses.

So just try to get someone to explain slowly and carefully and with little words with just one syllable that tetracycline isn't "JUST" an antibiotic!

Until you get simple stuff into your thick skull you might be best sticking to your medication and playing in your very own sandpit all by yourself!

For the OP just in case she's being confused by false and misleading information :

http://www.vetstream.com/equis/Content/Disease/dis00421.asp
    http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/66-B/4/598.full.pdf
    http://en.wikivet.net/Equine_Orthopaedics_and_Rheumatology_Q&A_21
  10. Offline

Thomas Opinionated and I know it

Well I'm totally and utterly gobsmacked!

I strongly recommend you get a second opinion as a matter of urgency and importance.
  11. Offline

Not sure I have ever heard a tenotomy being done in one less than six months old, doesn't mean it hasn't been done. Doing the DFT IMO is not going to help a whole lot if the SFT is causing more of the problem, the fascia tying the two together is still going to hold. It is a very small incision I doubt they see anything different once they get in there, I don't think it works that way.

I would try the tetracycline, extensions, stretching and braces, all these are low cost options since you can do the extensions. I might hold off 1-2 weeks on the extensions if it was mine. Remember this thing is still developing nothing is set yet. If no improvement in a few months then maybe surgery. Like Pat said a lot will come around on there own. I think the vet is a little anxious in his treatment.
  12. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Follow the $$$$$
  13. Offline

Lets see some pictures from today.
  14. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

I'm with Justin ..i know vets get very eager to cut..new ones Lov it..
  15. Offline

The son (newer vet) didn't suggest it, he went and got his father (owner of the clinic) who then suggested it.

Justin, It actually looked like it did in the beginning today after the trailer ride. Don't know if the haul put more stress or what.

She's at the clinic, it's being done. At this point, I'm getting with my mentor on the after care and going from there. I'm trusting this Vet's determination, he's worked with horses for a long time. Owns and races quarter horses, so I'm sure he's had to deal with a few tendon issues there.
  16. Offline

Pat Reilly Active Member

I know New Bolton has used oxy-tet on horses with success. I am not claiming it would work on this horse, but we do use it for some limb deformities.
  17. Offline

I watched a Redden tenotomy, suppose I meant they would be able to do a more through examine once they got started to determine which course was best. The youngest mentioned desmotomy of the inferior check ligament sometimes working. So I'm sure they'll look more into it.

Maybe there are joint issues that can develop if left like she is? He was firm on getting it handled now rather than later, but said I could try the extension if I wanted over the weekend and see how it goes. I told him that I wanted to do what was best for her, and here we are. He wasn't against Tetracycline use, just said that her case was more severe than what that may help.
  18. Offline

The thorough exam should have been done before the surgery and a plan laid out for after care, that you are talking to someone else about.

All of it works some of the time, none of it works all the time.

If your back hurts do you take some ibuprofen or get an epideral?

What's that got to do with the price of eggs?

What are they going to put on the foot after the tenotomy?
  19. Offline

Both of them examined the foal. The owner stated he felt the DFT was more the issue. I still feel it's the SFT more because of the heels, but I'm not the Vet. After Care will be discussed after the surgery tomorrow, only touched on today.

Well then I'll keep praying about it.

I say that's comparing apples to oranges or maybe even apples to carrots because it's not even in the same category.

Absolutely nothing Sir

Brace til Monday if I understood right.
  20. Offline

jack mac Guest

The problem with this foal is not deformity per say . It is one of growth plates. The fetlock joints having developed faster then the rest of the limb. which is quite common to find in foals born earlier then the 11 month gestation. Normally it involves the knee's & hock's so it does not present a problem. I feel its a bit premature to be cutting tendons & not giving other growth plates an opportunity to catch up. If the foal can stand move about & suckle from its mother. Then it should be afforded a little more time for other growth plates to catch up before drastic measures are taken . Thomas Tetracycline is an antibiotic. Its use in cases such as this is. A to treat a possible underling infection that maybe causing interruptions in synchronisation of growth plates & the hormones involved or B causing an immune response that will trigger a normalisation of hormone levels to bring about synchronised growth patterns in growth plates.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List