Long Toe?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Eric Russell, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Got a text with a pic yesterday about going to shoe a horse. I know we all have different ideas on how to shoe horses but at some point you'd think some people would just look at their job and say "ya know what, this just isn't working".

good shoeing.jpg
  2. Offline

Steve Marshall Member

Yup it ain't working. That's why I take pictures of the problem ones, so that I can look back and see if what I am doing is working. Whats the plan with this one Eric.
  3. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Eric,
    Maybe this would be a great opportunity for an educational, well documented case study. Before and after photos, before and after videos and a step by step "how to" to demonstrate how to improve these hooves. Ron Alders presented one similar to this over on the other site--but it was just a before and after photo (same day,IIRC). He didn't include instruction how he trimmed, but it was clear he had done a marvelous trim (his shoeing seemed pretty spiffy too, but I could be wrong) maybe you could capture all that on film or video when you go to do the horse here and help educate?
    Here's Ron's case: (I am posting these here without his permission and hope he doesn't mind).

Attached Files:

4. Offline

I haven't given it much thought yet. I'm just hoping when I take the shoe off that the sole isn't higher than the wall.

Most likely I will just get a shoe on the foot and get the integrity of the foot back.
  5. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

LOL, you should be so lucky. I think we're both betting that it will be. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with the first shoeing. "You can do eet" Eric!

Regards
  6. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

He is a hack !
  7. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Yep, but peeps see what they want to see......
  8. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

On the plus side, he almost had those front feet as a matched pair!
  9. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

With props and all due respect to Mr. Aalders for the great improvement he made, I think the horse is short shod.
  10. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Was thinking that as well. Wonder what the reasoning was behind it.

Denise I might would PM Ron and let him know you shared it here since its been discussed.
  11. Offline

When you use a banana shoe there isn't really any short shoeing unless you didn't cover the heels.

The heels don't touch the ground in the first place. Sticking more shoe out the back which won't touch the ground doesn't serve much of a purpose.
  12. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Makes sense. Must be a very slight banana roll.
  13. Offline

I disagree. Much depends on how the horse loads the foot/shoe both when standing and during the impact phase of stride. Even if the horse wanted to engage the back of his hoof, because of the way he is shod, he will quickly learn to avoid so doing. And, fitting the orthotic(s) further back would provide passive support to the structures in the back of the hoof and that portion of the hoof capsule against the weight coming down and being distributed as the foot loads and unloads, whether that part/area of the hoof contacts the ground or not.
  14. Offline

Platerforge Guest

have you shod the horse yet, Eric.?
  15. Offline

Rick, what structures are you trying to passively super in the back of the foot?

Given the heel is bent up, any extra length will be even further from touching.

I've seen out first hand. If there was any chance of more shoe touching so the horse could step under better I would have. It's just not a good shoe for something like a dressage horse, imo.
  16. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

Eric, is there anything else going on with that hoof?
  17. Offline

Frog, bulbs, wall, coronary band in the area behind a vertical line from the back of the orthotic , upwards.
    From touching the ground perhaps, but as always, It Depends. And, as noted, its role in passive support for those structures.
    Our experiences differ. :)
    I think that depends on what we are trying to accomplish.
  18. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Eric I have before now taken the shoes off something like that and hammered them back. Let it hobble round for a week and then reshod it when the hoof had shrunk back a bit. Then had 12 months free of problems then done it again.
  19. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

It is about time' this treatise' somebobby gets it...... I can teach a monkey to make shoes. I can't teach a watchful eye. Points Bro' 100%
  20. Offline

Having gotten home and seeing a good pic of Ron's shoe, that's not much of a banana. I'd imagine the ground will touch the back of that shoe with no problem. The concrete is almost touching it.