Long Toe?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Eric Russell, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Check the suspends people........
  2. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by compromised? The nature of the banana shoe raises the angle and transfers weight forward.
  3. Offline

When dealing with negative angles the back of the foot is giving way for whatever reason. How is bringing the foot back to normal angles going to cause issues with the suspensories?
  4. Offline

Let me see if I understand this. When have an upright foot you don't need shoe out the back but when you raise it artificially you still need support out the back? What so the excess shoe sticking out the back can hopefully make contact with the ground and raise the angle up even more so your suspensory theory starts to work?
  5. Offline

I'll probably get to him Friday.
    IDK.

IME, if you leave a foot in that condition long enough the horse will mask coffin joint issues. When you get foot into somewhat of a normal position you can see it.

This didn't happen overnight so I wouldn't be surprised if he could use an injection but that's not my area.
  6. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

damaged, caudal to the force focal point the coronary band etc. drops, the focal point becomes jammed and if jammed enough, cracked/fractured. The heels may collapse /contract, the bulbs may become elongated, heel proprioception may be lost, frog shape can undergo negative changes in shape and functionability, inflammation and damage to the navicular bursa, bone proper, back of the DIPJ, etc.
    Not necessarily or in all cases.
  7. Offline

If any of these things are happening after applying a banana shoe I would suggest finding another Farrier to apply them. Unless the horse had suspensory issues to begin with.

If the shoe is bananad it's either going forward or backwards. If you could post a pic of a horse that you apply a banana and want it to rock back that would be great.
  8. Offline

Fit a package as is the one pictured and IME, sooner or later its going to happen.
    I would if I had any. Unfortunately, I don't and I'm not very consistent with the taking of photos.
  9. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

420129_2677778425256_351327856_n.jpg ...rick is this what u mean by falling off cliff...how far back would yall bring shoe or how would u address this...sorry can't find the whole foot shot...and is this result of short shod one time or long time
  10. Offline

That looks more to be the result of an abscess venting at the coronary band. Whether the insult was originally caused by the shoe heel location or not, I cannot tell from the photo. But the shoe heel position is what I am referring to when I say that the structures caudal to its end point are set up to fall off a cliff.
    Hard to say how I would deal with this without seeing more of the hoof/limb/horse. However, I'll stick my neck out and say that it is quite likely I would pull those heels back more, use a bar shoe, wedge(s) and supplemental frog support and quite possibly float the wall on that side since the wall is rather compromised due to the crack/vent. That which is growing in above it looks good and needs to be encouraged to not follow the old hoof growth forward. As for where I'd set the heels of the shoe/package, I've already said that in a couple of earlier posts. If you look for it and can't find it, let me know and I'll go through it again. ;)
    This is also couched in the belief that the front end of the hoof will also be/is properly addressed.

With the paucity of information provided, my SWAG is that its been that way for some time. :)
  11. Offline

jack mac Guest

Eric the quarters of the hoof are the weakest link. Designed that way in nature to prestidigitate (juggle) continual hoof growth & the regular occurrence of to long a toe developing when the inability of the toe to be worn away presents.
    Allowing the toe to break away with out taking the heels with it & rendering the limb a greater difficulty to bare weight upon it.
    In knowing the above I find the banana shoe concept 100% flawed. Not only is it a complete opposite to how every horses hoof is presented in nature. It is forcing the hoof, Joints , tendons & ligaments to bare the brunt of force.That which was intended for the heels upon landing & not to be transferred from the heel & bore by the quarters. Banana shoes in my opinion have to be right up there with some of the most ill thought up flawed concept in horse shoeing. The application of forces by landing centralised with all its detrimental effect it inflicts & giving the horse no choice in avoiding such force, other then the horse having to attempt a longer stride or land toe first for avoidance of that centralised force. Can only lead one to believe it will only bring provocation of injury& serve no other purpose.
    Edited for Rick
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Stumpy foot spends more time in the caudal phase of the stride, contra lateral hind supports this by tracking to mid center line, same side hind steps outside stumpy foot and tracks up to it. Horse leads with stumpy foot shoulder, breaks over lateral toe etc etc every now and again the horse gets these gaits wrong and treads it off, not rocket science.
  13. Offline

Prestidigitate? Perform magic with one's hands????
    They're not supposed to bear the brunt of load bearing in conjunction with fluids within the hoof capsule, etc. ?
    Is there ever an instance when improperly located heels should not bear the 'brunt of force' and that said 'brunt of force' at landing should be distributed among other structures?
    How do you figure the force is centralized if the shoe is correctly fabricated and applied?
    Both anecdotal and empirical evidence would seem to indicate otherwise.
  14. Offline

I'm only arguing the mechanics of it. I'm not a fan of the banana. I like a rockerbar though. I think it's uses are limited to horses that aren't doing that much.
  15. Offline

jack mac Guest

16. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Hopefully you can take pics and let us know how you do.
    ps I agree with you on the banana shoe and perfer a rockerbar shoe.
  17. Offline

Did this guy today.

100_0014.JPG 100_0015.JPG 100_0016.JPG 100_0017.JPG 100_0018.JPG
  18. Offline

Layne Member

Looks like you put a bit of rocker in the toe ? If so how do you decide how much to rocker it ?
  19. Offline

On front feet I will generally picture a line through the center of the coffin bone through the toe, ala Dave Duckett.

The angle I will rocker is just like trimming a foot. You can tell when you have too much in there. ;)
  20. Offline

Layne Member

So u put lite rocker from the dot forward ?

Sent from my phone