Long Toe?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Eric Russell, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

excellent Eric; you can see a lot of toe stress and was he ever foundered at one time or is that just a over stretched toe? can't see that clearly on pics.
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

ps also the hole at the toe........any thoughts on that?
  3. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

The dot is quite a bit behind the rocker. Where I rocker a shoe depends on the angle of the foot. It's about an 1/8 to 3/16 behind the web on this one.

The angle is pretty low so I'd imagine it was just the angle. I thought the foot was in great shape considering the angle it's at.

I shod this horse this morning. I hardly remember a hole. I guess it was nothing
  4. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Thanks Eric. I find this a lot on the ex-racehorses I shoe the first time. I takes a few shoes to get this under control.

good job!
  5. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

.....its only Thursday hang overs are on sat..lol.. maybe yall start yalls party on wed up the eastern seaboard..
  6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

just curious would any of you shod that foot differently?
  7. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

looking at the photo i would have dressed the same but probably used side clips and fitted the toe a lot further back , but i was not there in real life
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Chris, he did shoe the horse using side clips?...........................ahhhhhhh
  9. Offline

Platerforge Guest

how would you have shod the foot differently, smitty?
  10. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i would probably have put the clips further back , another nailhole back
  11. Offline

I might of takin a bit more off the toe
    set the shoe under more
    fit the clips further back
    shod him a bit longer
    and nailed a bit differently
    but as the lads said when you dont have the foot in
    your hand its different
  12. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I think I see the foot growing in a different (possibly proper) direction from the hair line then it joins the stretched toe from there down.
    I'd go with a Triumph, roll the toe a lot hold the shoe back to the white line, and behind the foot a bit more. I'd float the quarters below that slight jam just for fun.
    All that said, the horse looks better than he walked up.
  13. Offline

Its a thing i dont do much of Bill rolling toes and floating quarters
    i try give a good trim and put iron were i think it should be
    nothing fancy it seems to work out on my horses feet most times
  14. Offline

15. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Holding the shoe back, with a thin rolled toe that stretched the web of the shoe forward, would move the breakover point about an inch behind where it is in the photos. Leaving more heel behind will act as a prosthesis, bearing the weight of the horse in better proportion around the center of the DIPJ, easing the leverage on the suspensory system, and strain on the front of each joint up the leg. Evidence of this joint strain that I claim, can be seen in the worn down toe of a shoe. The force that caused that thinned out toe had to be applied to the front of the joints too.
    I think that I have a horse balanced when I pull the shoes and find the wear is uniform around the entire shoe. Just like I left it, but thinner.
    One other thing, for such a dead forum, you're putting up some great input. (grin)
  16. Offline

DeniseMc Member

I agree that this could happen, but what do you see specifically on this hoof that is causing you to think P3 is "pushed" towards the toe? (I think in this case the distortion might be caused by the P3 being low in the hoof capsule, ie poor suspension maybe?) Without the benefit of radiographs where do you envision P3 to be in this hoof? Could you draw that overlapping the lateral view?
    Linda (I think that's Linda) mentioned she takes a few shoeings to get hooves like this to where she wants them. Where do you want this hoof in a few cycles? Or are you satisfied this is where it "should" be?
  17. Offline

I don't think p3 is pushed towards the toe. I think the coronet band is pushed over top the toe.

P3 is probably around zero palmer angle. I suspect the toe represents the angle of p3 fairly well.

It's a lt/lh hoof so I won't fool myself into thinking it's anything different. DIPJ is still broken back. I would like to get the bones aligned. I would have liked a more length out the back but for the first time ever UPS lost my order. As it turns out no horse last week needed a size 3 front shoe. ;)
  18. Offline

The shoe is rocker about 3/16 behind the web already.

If I saw a front shoe worn evenly all around the toe I would look higher up to see where the deviation is making the horse toe out. Or take the lateral toe extension off.
  19. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I don't think the pics show the rocker as well as it's made. That dose the job well, I just prefer rolling the toe. Chocolate or vanilla. Now that you mention it, there is usually a bit of wear on the lat toe, but alot of time I'll find'em even.
    The thing I'm running into alot lately, is that I'm coming behind a few shoers who are going with pre-clipped eventers, nice perimeter fit, trying to keep the heels as high as they can with the shoes as tight around the heels, the way I learned to do it. I'm setting them up the way I described earlier with a larger more supportive shoe behind as my betters have taught me, and all I hear is how much better they're going and then every one else in their barn is hauling their horses to have me shoe them.
    I would like to think that it's because I'm the best looking Farrier in the area, but I may have to admit that is from doing what them what know more than me showed me.
  20. Offline

Second shoeing

uploadfromtaptalk1342799533726.jpg