Medial displacement followed by quarter crack

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by scruggs1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Yes of course, how the hoof capsule responds to forces placed upon it has to do with breed. (n)
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

did you make that shoe and shoe this horse?........................if so; looks nice.
  3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

certain breeds have a type of conformation to them; and is bred in them.
  4. Offline

Platerforge Guest

must be a typo on the hall of fame in Scotland then:(
  5. Offline

Platerforge Guest

my post #14 just asked that same Q::rolleyes:
  6. Offline

Which breed already has it's conformation predetermined?

I think I'd rather stick to thinking the hoof capsule distorts according to forces applied to it. You and Jaye think waaaay to outside the box for me.
  7. Offline

This is what I'm seeing in the foot.

lunapic_135842340726259_17.gif
  8. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Isn't that how he shod it? (my mark-ups) What am I missing? (Just trying to follow along here and understand what you and Scrugg's and everyone else sees differently in these cases)

photo copy-2.jpg photo copy 2.jpg
  9. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Is this of any consequence?
    photo copy-2b.jpg
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

John these arnt great pics but you can see its thickest at the medial heel and lowest lateral toe.

S7001252.JPG

Attached Files:

11. Offline

You have to realize John's pretty good in the fire so we can get a bit more technical when talking shoe fit.

If you break the foot down in the grid, he dressed a really nice shape into that foot. I can't tell from the pics if I would've set the shoe back or not but I tend to think I would have stuck pretty close to fitting that dressed foot.

When you hear somebody say they cheated the quarter or missed the quarter.... it basically means they set it under the foot at the quarter (same as setting a shoe back off the toe).
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Im not great at drawing lines on feet but I will try and explain. The hoof capsule has rotated around P3, so the farrier has a shoe placement problem, does he make the center of the capsule the center of the shoe or the direction of trajectory the center of the shoe. In truth its irrelevant as long as the shoe is big enough, It will as in this case keep breaking over the outside toe quarter, and just to recap that is now the center of the coffin joint. can we prevent that, I doubt it very much as this is caused by forces from above. We could theorize about putting a lateral extension on and forcing the foot to derotate if that were possible but would have ethical issues.
    The coronary band at the lateral toe has contracted as a result of this rotation.
  13. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

No Dear my ponies are closely monit(e)arded. Weekly obsevations wih notes.
  14. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

There sound ands showing,
  15. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Again So?
  16. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

We are on the page pard. The shoe will address GFRs. Placements wil effect soundness.
  17. Offline

aliciathompson Member

Sorry I thought you were refering to the International Hall of Fame, didn't realize Scotland would have their own.
  18. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

This is my new favor shoe !! I am building a knock off brand buts it gives the results so far? Cross my fingers, that is a damn nice WORKING horseshoe. Working on a few mules and horses with sidebone and capsule ligament tears..? Hope it keeps working..
  19. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Thank you for the compliment (y)
  20. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

The good, bad, and unanswered.

Bad: Lack of solar depth at the toe. Needs almost twice that.

Good: They are still riding him and he has still not taken a bad step.

Unanswered: Since the A/Ps were shot with one foot on a 1.5" block and the opposite was on the ground, it makes the joint space comparisons unreliable. The bulge that felt like a marble behind the coronary band was gone so I don't know if it was a bad imbalance that I trimmed out on the last shoeing, or what it could have been. The barn manager even commented that he thought it odd that whatever was in there 'just disappeared.'

The vet said that since there was no jamming or any significant imbalances that he could tell, there is a possibility it could have been an infection of some sort, related to the last episode of displacement. That could very well have been the case, although I would have thought there would have been heat and a strong digital pulse...but maybe there was and it subsided by the time I got there to shoe it last.

His digital overlay markers measured about 4-5 degree rotation, but since that was based on bone to dorsal wall and not on laminar borders, I am not sure how accurate that can be...I could have very well rasped +/- 2 degrees off the wall at the last shoeing while dressing the toe flares...

I placed a BB at the WPF, medial and lateral, and a thumbtack 3/4" behind the apex. These should have been visible in every shot, but they are not. Only in the very last shot, can you see my thumbtack and BB...and the only problem is that I only see just one BB, which I would assume to be the one in the lateral side (I placed them under the line I had drawn with the Sharpie...so I would have expected to see the medial BB about the same distance behind the thumbtack, but alas, it is not visible. I taped a thin copper wire on the toe for the laterals and they are not visible either. I even cut the head off of a nail and taped it on the RF, then asked him to shoot it again...still not visible. When he was dialing in the resolution prior to saving the .pdf they were visible briefly, so I assume their absence is a resolution issue.

Unless I drew a straight line on the floor (put one hind and the same side front on that line) then one perpendicular to that for the placement of the radiograph, I am very skeptical of basing any protocol modification on this particular set...other than allowing sole depth to accumulate.

Since the crack is still superficial I am not sure that I am going to do anything more to it at this point...I guess I could put some black equilox over it, smooth it out and pretend it didn't happen. :confused:

Anyone else have thoughts? I'm still drawing blanks...

pj001.JPG pj003.JPG pj004.JPG pj005.JPG