Medial displacement followed by quarter crack

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by scruggs1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Eric,
    I think the lines you drew were closer to finding WPF and being under the COA...even if the rad was a bit oblique, it looks like the thumbtack was ahead of COA by 1/8" or so. If I pull that medial quarter back I think it will move the foot back around and be more symmetrical at the same time...which I believe is what David was saying. We'll see what happens when I get the foot back in my hands.
  2. Offline

david a hall Moderator

John were the AP's truly oblique?
    It sounds unlikely when you describe the swelling as like a pee, could it of been a buckled lateral cartilage? you can move them in one shoeing.
    I dont tend to worry about joint spacing on x-ray, If you x-ray them loaded the spacing is going to be even. The only time the spacing is uneven will be an initial loading of the lateral spacing, followed by even loading then compression on the medial aspect of the joint. But some of the medial loading can be absorbed by the lemon squeezer effect.
    The AP x-rays for what its worth look fairly oblique and I would say that the Proximal Phalanx has Signs of an early angular limb deformity, which would explain most of its probs.
    But I might be wrong.
  3. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Not grossly by any means, but I am not confident that they were exactly 90 degrees to the line of travel of the legs.

This horse 20+ years old and definitely has some angular issues.

I am eager to check heel wear patterns in the shoe next time. Last time, all 4 heels were completely smooth, but I had floated that medial heel. This time, I didn't float so if I see a deep groove in the medial, that might give me another reason to believe the crack is a pressure issue. I really just don't know what to think about a causative factor...and am starting to think I never will.
  4. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Scruggs....remember my post #31.........well, Dave has mentioned it to lateral cartilage....???
  5. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I wouldnt float that one, that medial heel is dragged up wards not shunted, if you float it it will just increase the range the medial Palmer angle can flex.
    Spiral that shoe.:D
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Have you ever patterned a shotgun? Essentially, what happens is that you put a target up, then take aim and pull the trigger. With #8 birdshot, there will be about 400 holes all over the paper. If someone drew a dot on the back side of that paper about the size of a BB, even though the shooter couldn't see the dot, there might be one pellet that hits it completely randomly.
  7. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Looks to be one tough horse to me!
  8. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

David how do you recognise the difference between a shunted up heel and a dragged up heel?
  9. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Must be an English thing like shaken, not stirred.
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

David its tricky to say from pics but I recon medial heel would barely touch the floor on that foot. Hoof capsule has rotated medially around P3. P3 probably sits low on lateral toe, coronary band has contracted on lateral side.
    The word shunted suggests to me that an upward force has pushed the heel, I dont think on this capsule that is the case, But I might be wrong I just offer you a different thought.
    • List
  11. Offline

Is this a thought experiment like Schrodinger's Cat where you have to look on the other side of the paper to see if you hit the dot and if you never look the trees used to make the paper target fell without making a sound?
  12. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Any update on this horse Scruggs?
  13. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Nah...much more simplistic than that. Blind Hog theory. Lets say someone here has verbal dysentery, and they hypothesize a plethora of scenarios on every foot that they see posted on here, each of which they state with absolute resolve. One of their multiple hypothesis is bound to be in the ball park...thus stated, in their own mind, gives them the auto affirmation they need to publicly state "I told you so."
  14. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Yes, the crack has grown out of the coronary band. Instead of floating the heel, i just fit it and nailed it up as normal. I am going to that barn tomorrow. If they haven't turned it out by the time I get there, I will clean it off and take a picture for you.

This poses a question: Did the crack perpetuate because I made it unweightbearing by floating it when I first saw a sign that there was going to be one, then resolve itself when I placed weight back on it? Or, was the crack a result of factors independent of a 'normal' trim/weight bearing and just resolved itself when those other factors resolved themselves? Throwing an example out here...did the right foot suffer another laminitic event and thus cause the left foot to bear more of the weight bearing burden...thus causing the crack...which resolved itself after the laminitic event in the opposite was over?
    • List
  15. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

John, this is, perhaps a case of "que sera, sera". :)
  16. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Not sure what that means, but sometimes floatin the heels and quarters works, sometimes they don't and direct pressure gets it done..ain't real pretty but if it grows and keeps growin ya have a better chance..
  17. Offline

Ken Yazzi New Member

I have read this thread multiple times and have appreciated some of the responses.
    Regarding your question, I cannot say that the crack was caused by floating but I believe it is a possibility. Why?. I believe that if you divided the hoof into question into 4 quadrants then observed the limb/hoof orientation in a weight bearing stance the medial heel quadrant would be "lacking" and both the lateral heel and toe quadrants would be "excessive" to some degree. Meaning that the body mass transferred to the hoof is "over loading" the medial heel quadrant and being exacerbated by the lateral quadrants being farther outside the limb for "proper" support of the bone column . If the hoof capsule was functioning lower(making the medial heel quadrant smaller) on the medial heel, after the float, this could cause the bone column/mass to place even more pressure in that region. The crack would not have been caused by force from ground up it would have been caused by an overload from top down. Raising the medial heel can help draw the lateral quadrants in(closer to mass) orienting load more laterally therefore reducing force on the medial heel.

Thanks for the detailed posts.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

John,
    "Ques sera, sera" means "what will be, will be". :)
  19. Offline

I would say never lend them a hammer.
  20. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

Unfortunately, I believe that ship has sailed.