Milled tooth files/(rasps)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Offline

Platerforge Guest

ok, thanx:coffee:
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

As an update, I m at 31 horses with the P Plane, that is the new mill tooth that I sampled in the cold, I had a few at the Summitt, and have acquired a few more. These are the Mill tooth that are patterned like the original hoof plane, they are lighter than the hoof plane on the market today ,tempered/heat treated different so as not to be so flexable and seem to stay straight. For me the performance is the same as the hoof plane, but the truth to that will be in the next 39 horses!

They are trading for $53.00 ea./ $52.00 in lots of 5, simple cardboard cover.

For those interested in the Pferd Hoof Plane, the prices go up about $3.00 ea. 2/12/13,so if you want to take advantage of last years price do it soon, as a note to think about, very few bank accts. are paying 5% interest ,weather you buy from your dealer or me , 5% is a good amt of money.

ll keep you posted as i approach #70.

Regards

Ray
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

70? I thought you were younger! Im off for beer.
  4. Offline

joe bill There went my twenty!!!

Ray have mine got shipped yet?
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Joe Bill,

they go out today, post office was closed Sat. because of the storm

Ray
  6. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

So much for the creed -
    "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."
    Of course that was before they had a union.
  7. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

I picked up a couple of Ray's "I" rasps/files at the Summit. They are super, super sharp(almost too sharp) and cut really well, including your hands/fingers if you don't wear gloves. Even after several horses, the rasp remains exceedingly sharp and requires a light touch when used. Apart from having to use them with care (for your hands), the only real drawback I have found thus far is that they do seem to clog. Not a problem if you keep a wire brush handy, though the rasp will quickly and efficiently shorten the bristles on the brush....:)
  8. Offline

Thanks Ray for the info....
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Your the 2nd person to say that they think the 6/6 might be too sharp! the 1st to tell that they clogged. Thanks for the info.

Suggest that you file the hooves, not your fingers and hands, guess I d better start including an instruction sheet! or start calling you "Stubby"

would you be interested in buying the dulled used up ones?

Thanks again for your input,did Russ have any comments on how he worked?

Regards

Ray
  10. Offline

Russ has the same observations as I. In fact, he wants to give me back the one I got for him. :( Now that my hands have healed up and [somewhat] calloused over again, I'm going to put my rasp back to work. I think I'll get a new bumper sticker--"Give Blood, shoe horses........."

I think Churchill was describing farriery when he talked about 'blood, toil, sweat and tears'........;)
  11. Offline

Sounds like a very sharp planer?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I got 73 horses out of the P plane. The last 3 to 6 were more work than i like, but I m getting lazier.

Ray
  13. Offline

Dave Whitaker Active Member

Would like to try one, but can't drag myself away from the Wood Miller Ultra Sharps.... I get and easy 30-35 head out of them without pushing them to the point where they struggle, so about half of what your seeing from the plane. At 16 bucks apiece for the Wood Millers, these planes would have to be $32 just to break even... what am I missing here?

Dave
  14. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Dave,

I use my #s per horse so that I compare as close as possible to the same operator.

Save Edge and Heller Legends when made in USA, usually I got 10 horses from either , Pferd Hoof Plane, the 6/6 I plane and this P Plane, I m getting in the 70s. This way I think I comparing keeping as many variables the same. The last 6 horses of this latest I plane just seemed to have me working more than I want to.

So tomorrow I break out a 6/6, actually one of the original 6/6,very thin and breakable, ...........kinda delicate like myself!

Myself and the Wood Millers just didn t get far , after buying a case,one time I don t think I had finished a horse and had used a box of them, a # of others told me the same, but if that s your poison, then you ve found the right tool,

Regards

Ray
  15. Offline

Ray,
    The Wood Millers that you had were the early ones... not the Ultra Sharps which have only been around maybe 3 years... I think those early ones were called Super Sharps or something and I didn't like them either... these Wood Miller Ultra Sharps don't even show any loss of sharpness after ten horses unless you hit some shit..... I think they are even better than the old USA Hellers which used to be my weapon of choice.... I have used 100's of the Wood Millers now and everyone is the same..... you ought to carry them.....;)

Dave
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Dave,

Originally I was contacted by WM about the Super Sharps, tried the samples and found them to be very good, close to a Save Edge, bought a case............. rcd a different animal....... let John know........ had a pissin match on Horseshoes............ eventually was sent samples of the Ultra Sharp, was able to trade back what I had of the case of SS only to receive a rasp, which to me is no where near the Simonds Heller, nor does anyone else that has used them think so. Customers who are Amish, when looking for an economical rasp tell me, don t send them Wood Millers, .........you might get special treatment,........... I d carry them, hell I guess I do carry them, and have been carrying them,

a few other folks have told me similar dissatisfaction, ......as I say, if they work for you, enjoy

an a ha moment, David, does the yacht need an anchor/s? Bet they d work for that!

Regards

Ray
  17. Offline

Ya..I know you and John had a tiff..... too bad.....

Dave
  18. Offline

I thought we had agreed that Cytek shoes would hold that position of honor aboard the yacht..............
  19. Offline

david a hall Moderator

They probably wouldn't even do that job well!
  20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Hey Rick!
    When you get a little cut on a finger or something while under a horse, call out to the owner; "Oh no! I got some blood here!". They'll probably run over to you in a panic, then show great relief when they find it's only the Farrier that's bleeding.