My gelding

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Kim Turner, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Henry Heymering, KC Lapierre, or is there somebody else?
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

why does he need shoes?.........................just pull the shoes and try again in the late spring.....give this horse some time off; your not working anyway.....
  3. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

I have been working on gathering up his foot.

LT/LH and thin soled. This is his third setting, and I think it's looking better.
  4. Offline

Platerforge Guest

you don't work on gathering up a foot.
    you work on your forging skills and make shoes that fit your horse and his problems.(y)
    you have the wrong shoes on him anyway. you should have probably a 3/4" x 5/16" x ?? [measure foot for that} and you could go a little wider. If you want to help the horse; you could make a handmade heartbar. I have found it helps with LTLH horses on the few I have been able to put on.
  5. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

Linda you really think Kim making and applying a heartbar is a good idea? I'd be interested in seeing your handmade heartbars (y)
  6. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

l disagree with you Linda. l think his shoes are just fine save a little more length.

l've had some good suggestions on the foot prep l will apply next setting.
  7. Offline

Linda, why not send Kim some of your used handmade heart bar shoes . . .
  8. Offline

George Spear Member

I'm going to side with tom on this one. I always feel that an improper trim guarantees a fail. It does not matter what orthotic is applied if the foundation is incorrect.
  9. Offline

George, I don't mean to imply that bringing the heels down below the frog is "proper or correct" with collapsed heels.

IMO it is a less incorrect compromise than putting the shoe on top of folding over, distorted horn in order to meet "correct HPA" criteria.
  10. Offline

George Spear Member

i concur. sometimes you have to go beyond correct to get to the straight horn
  11. Offline

Platerforge Guest

your right, once again.
    but I can make one; just haven't in years.
  12. Offline

Platerforge Guest

they are lost too:ROFLMAO:.....nahhh.................haven't made them in years, very rusty.....
    but come down to Abner's and I guess I'll have to make you one(y)

made a barshoe here from the Union test; first time out since 1996; and was a tighty little number; showed it to Chris, actually I did find it; and made a creaser...[with george's help]!!! I have to clean it up and put a wooden handle on it and try it out.
    how about that;)
  13. Offline

Platerforge Guest

you need to handmake a pair for your horse.
  14. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

3/4 x 5/16 Linda:confused:
  15. Offline

Platerforge Guest

it can be
  16. Offline

Platerforge Guest

oh....she can either way; barefoot since it's her horse can't be ridden; or she can practice on it by making a set of heartbars for full support; it does in certain times work on feet like that. that olde grey horse I wanted to show you it worked on but lost the time and lite.
  17. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

A set of heart-bars 3/4 x 5 /16:confused:
  18. Offline

grimwood Member

I would side with Gabino on this. M/L balance needs to be addressed. First in the trim and then the shoe. If you look closely I see a quarter crack ready to blow.
  19. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I'm with David Hall on this.

The horse is crooked and went 10 weeks. I don't see anything in the trim I'd do that much differently.

I believe you have to manage these situations. I believe mechanically the horse is telling us he'd like to be lower medially with an asymmetrical shoe. That obviously has some short comings due to the fact the shoe and foot would probably shoot laterally in a short amount of time. If you go in the other direction, trim laterally and fit a nice symmetrical shoe, fit wide on the medial heel and narrowed lateral branch, that also has short comings. It goes against the horses crooked conformation and sends stress up the leg, possibly popping a medial splint. Trying to get the lateral side to sink in deep footing while floating the medial by fitting wide also adds extra stress to the medial heel.

I think you need to spit the difference. Trim and shoe against the conformation enough so the shoe/foot doesn't shift laterally too quickly but not so much that you are causing unneeded stress up the limb.
  20. Offline

Platerforge Guest

yes, you turn your 3/4 x 5/16 stock into a straight barshoe; then take flat stock of 1" x 5/16 and angle it into a frog plate; weld it to the straight barshoe in the forge using flux [iron mt./borax], cut it out at the apex; then shape and clean it up.:coffee: