natural balance shoers

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by smitty88, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

horseforums.com
  2. Offline

monty.styron Active Member

The NB movement lost steem rather quickly around here.one advantige to having mostly working horses i guess. I only had one client who insisted on useing them . Im not sure what changed her mind but i resetly talked her into leaving a little toe on her driveing horses and it put them in the money so shes a full convert now . Could be my insistence that if god ment him to have the confermation of a sloth he would have taught the s.o.b. to clime a tree
  3. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

I primarily shoe with NB shoes on front feet, and have for the past 15 years . Probably 90+%. All rears, unless pathology dictates to the contrary, are shod traditional perimeter fit with quarter clips. I don’t have any “horror” stories with this type application. Contrary to many comments I see, shaping an NB shoe to the front feet, whether oval, boxy or asymmetrical, doesn’t pose a problem, including club feet. There is a definite protocol recommended in the trim, which, if not followed, can create sole pressure, especially near the apex of P3, the same as with any other shoe placed in that proximity. I often times hear the comment “They have a place, but they aren’t for every horse”. I assume this would include gaited or specialty disciplines, which would exclude a lot of other shoe types. I have no problem applying them to every horse so I often wonder if the more appropriate comment would be “They have a place, but they aren’t for every person”. I have never experienced a loss of quality in feet maintained with NB shoes. I have, however, observed low quality feet wearing NB shoes. Not knowing the history I was unable to accurately assess where the problem originated. “Smitty” hit the nail on the head when he referenced picking the right size shoe for the foot. All too often I see NB shoes that are too small for the respective foot, which as we all know, leads to distortion. The fit in the toe pillars is a real challenge with these shoes, as one size doesn’t fit all, so often times I find a larger shoe has to be modified to fit appropriately. This will change the “etch marks” true location on the EDSS Centre Fit shoe relative to the 50/50 ratio, so the recommended placement “spot” is now compromised. They do require skill level in the forge. Grinders are OK for minor adjustments to “checks” or “length” but nothing beyond that, and that only to a minimum. Before I attended a pre-cert clinic and became certified in the application of NB’s I had gone to three, 2 day clinics conducted by Gene Ovnicek. I thought I had a solid base of understanding until I attended the pre-cert clinic and stood for the exam. A little slower than some, and faster than others, I came away with a total different perspective to the protocol surrounding this “mysterious shoe”.

My fingers are tired and my brain agrees. Let me know if I can add anything. Going to see American Sniper right now.
  4. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Donnie some pics would be nice
  5. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

01-11-11 002.jpg Lyne - Mikey 11-13-10 001.jpg 4 26 10.jpg
    Here is an example of an improperly sized NB steel shoe (#00) done initially in April (bottom photo) - #0 PLR followed this with the middle photo being taken in November and the final in January. Sorry for the reversed photos but now I know in which sequence they load.
  6. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

Here is a L/F and L/R of a QH head horse in a PLR Wedge and keg. 11 yrs in this set-up
    2015-01-39 11.41.36.jpg and keg. 2015-01-30 11.40.09.jpg 2015-01-30 11.42.13.jpg
  7. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

8. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Donnie, why do you use this shoe on most of your horses?
  9. Offline

Well then .while the shoe has changed quite a bit the protocal hasent . Are those all your work Donnie?
  10. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Thanks donnie
  11. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

Bruce - I primarily work on lame horses, as well as those experiencing the difficulties associated with the dreaded "long toe" syndrome. I believe it to be rampant in my immediate area due to genetics from exploited breeding programs. On feet like these I have found that gathering the foot presented in a traditional perimeter fit manner (which is the trim I apply) doesn't help in resolving the immediate problem, so I try to achieve a 50/50 ratio around the COA or COR, which necessitates placing the shoe in that area. I find the NB shoe to be most adaptable for that scenario. The wide toe web affords protection from the toe pillars and across the distal end of P3. I have attempted the use of others, such as the Triumph Lite, which when placed on top of an NB shoe, is almost identical except for the wide web and bold pillars. I never have had a negative experience with this shoe. There are times when sensitivity over the distal end of P3 is so great that placement of this shoe, or any other, would not be in the best interests of the horse. It can still be done, as in laminitic cases, but must be monitored closely. "Safeing" the inner rim is a necessity and should include the use of the EDSS Pad specifically designed for that scenario (It has a threaded insert for a screw in the web area). Depending on age, nutrition, housing and disciplines I have had some return to a perimeter fit, but not many, the reason for the 90+% figure I posted earlier. I mainly service QH performance horses so my ultimate goal is to assist in their over-all athleticism. I have found this method to be suitable in attaining these goals, but I recognize that other methods would also work. I choose to not "bounce around" but stay with a program that I know works.
  12. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

Monty - these photos are of my own work. Not much has changed in the shoe since its original design by Duckett in the late 80's. Additional shoes have been added by EDSS. The original patent held by Duckett is still referred to as the Natural Balance steel and are marketed as such. The latest models are EDSS Centre Fits and its "cousins" and are marketed as such.
  13. Offline

Like your hinds Donnie