Navicular Shoes

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Thanks for the info Kim.

Philosophically, if its branded for navicular, does that mean that it can't be used for caudal heel pain, or other conditions that might require a wedged heel shoe? ;)
  2. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Course not, hence them also labeling it for "faster breakover" which I found kinda funny.
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I take off what ever shoes are on there, address its diet and allow it to go through the barefoot transition period, being very careful that the horse doesnt eat any sugar, after a period of time it is then fixed and we all live happily ever after.
    Just kidding, till I have seen the x-rays and had a definitive diagnosis then I will decide what to do. not sure we can buy the same products you can so I get my hammer out and welder.
  4. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Can we keep it on topic, if you want to have a monthly contest on who has the biggest tax return or who can pull the best clip then bring it on.
    Linda instead of having a go at people and making assumptions on people, post up some pics of these navicular shoes, I would be interested.
  5. Offline

6. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

A navicular shoe as I would have learnt it, was a wedge heeled rolled toe'd shoe, according to Hickmans, obviously out dated now. Ive had good success with that shoe on the couple of cases ive had to work on, ive used the KB once and had good results with that horse as well
  7. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Sorry, I'm a bit slow. Who does 'he' refer to in this post?

I dream of being this good... one day... (sigh__)
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

whether outdated or not;.....it worked on this horse
  9. Offline

Platerforge Guest

racehorse trainers/owners around here do not allow that.
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

11. Offline

George Spear Member

Rick,

Have you retired recently?
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

13. Offline

George Spear Member

Gary I believe she is referring to Rick Burten and I guess feels he is no longer shoeing actively. Actually many of the clinicians I enjoy seeing shoe the great masters who have semi-retired and now tour doing shoeing clinics and such "No longer shoe for a living" but have a great storehouse of information for younger shoers.
  14. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Thanks George. I wasn't sure if she was referring to Rick or Chris.
  15. Offline

Sadly, No. I thought my ship had come in but I found out it was a leaky dinghy so I still keep on working. My retirement plan is to stop shoeing when they shovel dirt in my face......:)

OTOH, if carrying 150 +/- head in my book, most of which are on a 6 week schedule, is considered semi-retired, then I suppose that I am now semi-retired. :)
  16. Offline

I think they average around $40.00US/pair so in my custom it adds anywhere from $80-$100 minimum to the base cost of shoeing.
  17. Offline

A shoeing protocol that was taught to me early on was to trim the hooves so that the heels were not excessively tall which creates a longer base, and then to shoe with a rocker toed,center bar(aka: hidden bar) shoe and wedge(s) appropriate to maintain/restore phalangeal alignment and to use a 50/50 mixture of pine tar and venice turpentine and oakum under the pad(s). Nowadays i mostly use Magic Cushion/MC Extreme and oakum under the pad(s) regardless of which orthotic I choose.
  18. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Gary , i may as well be retired
  19. Offline

Red Amor Active Member

How many time have you been asked to shoe for navicular by owner form vet to find the beast had nasty corns or an abscess /stone bruise ?
    Also off topic but poinent
    I respect the knowlage n help many good fellers give here but be sadend now n then by the contempt n disrespect in arrogence it which it is sometime delivered
    do we have spell check on ere un avin need of it ay :(
  20. Offline

Gabino Active Member

A case of navicular syndrome and the shoe that I fixed. There are many diseases.

Carlos Gomez Vazquez.Merlin.6-22-Ago-2012.jpg P1060073.JPG