Navicular Shoes

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Platerforge, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Offline

George Spear Member

Gabino,

You have to translate the instructions better for the shoe. Did you realize that you put it on backwards?!!!! :D
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

sorry but most have 300- 650 on the books......yes, John had up to that many racehorses per month.
  4. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Year 'round?
    Who is this 'most'? Its certainly not the average for non-racetrack farriers. How often are those stalwarts working on each horse in their custom? Shoeing or trimming? On a six week rotation, that works out to 10-22 horses /day, five days/week.
    Do you really expect me/us to believe that working at that pace(or greater), you are consistently turning out high quality work?
    Out of curiosity, what is the average fee charged for plating a flat racer, especially if you're not providing services to top echelon trainers?

Regardless, using your numbers, I am, as I stated, semi-retired.
  5. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I would HATE to think I had to shoe 10-12 horses aday even if I was Plating them 5 days aweek!!:cry:
  6. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

On your own yeah a tough day but if ya have someone pulling shoes and clinching it would be a normal enough day shoein racehorses for a farrier in Ireland most farriers I know in England would do that number also again with someone pulling shoes and clinching.
  7. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Yea and working 12 days a week to keep up with them. Some farriers really suck at math.
  8. Offline

Gary,
    I re-read what Linda said and realized I had [heaven forfend] erred. She said that those numbers(300-650 horses] are per month :eek: which, for a five day week works out to 60-130 horses/day, for a 6 day week. 50-108/day, and for every day of the week, 43-93/day. IMO, even if that were possible, it would amount to assembly work with quality non-existent.

I'm not so sure that even the greatest 'whack and tack' iron(aluminum?) hanger could manage those numbers. Unless of course s/he was a genetic clone of John Henry or, perhaps his wife, Polly
    View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64GHrP3bCWk
    ;)
  9. Offline

But seem to have no problem with gross exaggeration......
  10. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

So with your math he can get 'er done working one week a month. :cool:
  11. Offline

ooooops, :( mea culpea
    working every day, 10-22/day; 24 days, 13-27/day; 20 days, 15-33/day

Maybe those folks really are John Henry/Polly incarnate.........
  12. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Yes. Fifteen days later,the horse was not lame,but the shoeing is the half of the treatment.The infiltration helps too.
  13. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I had a fellow tell me he has over 400 head on his book and somehow he is home by 1 everyday to watch Westerns? I asked him if they were all trims and he said no , a mix of trims and shoes? Yet when he calls me somedays , he only has a couple here and there or he was rained out? I think he needs to work on his math also!:ROFLMAO:
  14. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I think she has a different perception of reality than the rest of us...
  15. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I lived with the man....he did 20 head a day mostly shoes; some trims on the farm, 6 days a week and a few on Sunday.
    I watched him do 13-15 on the track at 7am then out at 4-5pm at nite and do another 5 on the farm till 8-9 pm at nite; a lot of times he didn't get in till 11 pm at nite. this was in his hey-day.....when behind...his 2 sons join in with a helper.
  16. Offline

The older I get the faster I ran as a child....
  17. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

18. Offline

George Spear Member

At a certain point volume will overcome quality. I am constantly hearing from customers that prior farriers skipped many of the basic steps that are an important part of good shoeing. Taking the time to observe the horse in motion, properly prepare the solar surface, properly dressing away flare and other distortions and properly shaping shoes seem to consistantly be abandoned when speed becomes the paramount issue. I'll go as fast as possible while still producing quality biomechanicaly correct work. IMO poor shoeing leads to lameness and I refuse to whack and tack. I believe that "speed shoers" cause lameness and prefer to prevent it by taking the time that it takes.
  19. Offline

Platerforge Guest

He was a master plater; John was the exception to the rule!!!............he shod Marceana [sp?] out of Two Punch; who then took 6th place in Preakness.....and Afleet Alex, before his death; then his son shod him for the Kentucky Derby; ect. plus many other grade I stakes horses in his day.

But agreed that most speed shoeing is going to cause lameness; because of what you stated. Trainers only give 20 mins per horse. I take 44 mins. and is just considered way to slow. I have only the 1-3 racehorse stables where this is not a problem. I have done fronts in 13 mins flat at the receiving barn; but not now.
  20. Offline

Years ago, I watched Lee Green shoe a mule in about 4 min. Does that me he could shoe 15 in a hour?