Laminitis need some ideas for founder

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by aaron lohmann, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Offline

aaron lohmann New Member

hey yall I need some ideas was called out today to look at a mare that's been foundered for a couple months(I think its been longer) well they had a guy come out a couple weeks ago and just wacked them off and had a size 2 keg on the right which also has a abscess and a egg bar on the left. I told them I wanted x rays before I even touched her which they did. so I just did a equithane soft pad in the shoes that are on her for the weekend to give her alittle more comfort. now im am trying to get ideas for a good shoe. right now im thinking a shoe with a hospital plate for the right front (for the abscess) and a open toe with a bar across the apex off the frog on the left??????????? any help sure would be great thanks

Attached Files:

2. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

Is this a first time founder or is the horse cronic?
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Looking at the capsule it has been going on a long time. It will be a good effort to get this back but it never supprises me what recovers with little work and what you shoot with every effort. One important factor is identifying what caused it and suspending that. It is amazing how clients keep feeding inappropriate stuff and wondering why it wont cure..
    Becareful with pour in pad pressuring the sole, deep shavings bed is better.
  4. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Looks to me that p3 is close to punching out the bottom so derotating it is in order. I would also consider applying, with screws, a Steward Clog with Impression Material in no more than the back half of the foot.
  5. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Definitely looks like a chronic case to me. I agree with Rick, p3 is about to punch through the sole. It looks like he has a lot of toe that needs to come off too. When was this horse last worked on?
  6. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

That horse has had multiple laminitic incidents; it might have occurred over a "couple of months, more likely a couple of years. Chronic cases like this are not going to come around with a different shoe or a Band aid fix. If the owner is made aware of the financial ($3500 to $10k) and emotional commitment (9 to 12 months of improvements and relapses) they are going to have to make, if the horse is to have a chance (no guarantee) of coming around, they might make the informed decision that it's new horse time.

As farriers, we need to make owners understand that laminitis is as serious as cancer and that horses die sometimes no matter what we do and they get better no matter what we do. It's not a matter of whacking some foot off & a designer shoe and Fluffy's all better...
  7. Offline

Well put Brian. So many think if we work on one it will be ok, and if it got south in a hurry, we farriers have done bad work. It's very hard to find founder cases the same.
  8. Offline

aaron lohmann New Member

hey yall thanks for the replys. I do believe she has been foundered before but they argue that fact. As for putting her in bedding I will suggest it but they are not horse people and are being very hard to work with it was like pulling teeth to get the xrays and they called the cow vet to do them that's why they were not very good. All they want is to get one more colt out of her ( not that she is anything worth breeding). I ended up with a hospital plate on the front with the abscess and a shoe with a horizontal bar halfway up the frog and will apply Impression Material to the back half of the frog for some support I also bubbled the toe of the shoe to rock her back to her heels and rolled the toe if that makes any sense sorry I don't know what that's called or a good way to describe it. just seemed to be what she needed and also talked with a vet friend and he agreed. I will let yall know how it turns out thanks
  9. Offline

Sometimes you can only do the best you can with what you got to work with.
  10. Offline

aaron lohmann New Member

yes sir and I don't have much to work with lol
    ;)
  11. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

Sounds like some good clients to walk away from. They obviously don't care about the horses health and well being.
  12. Offline

Marc Jerram FdSc AWCF www.thefarrier.co.uk

I agree with ricks shoeing protocol, possibly nail the clog if the horse is comfortable enough