New concept in the navicular treatment

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Gabino, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Offline

Gabino Active Member

The crack is a secondary issue for the horse.His bigger problem is a navicular disease.
  2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Brian. I sure wish that there were some rads and photos of that horse that were available for us to see.
  3. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Guess I am strange but the times I have dealth with a crack that bad, I undercut and relieved all pressure to the area of the crack itself. I might have pulled a clip at the heels for 4 weeks to see how it supported but didnt make the crack worse?.. I am lucky that I dont see alot of quarter cracks like that anymore..:)
  4. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

As mentioned before here and to Patrick in '07(?); "Qrt cracks are related to navicular issues." It's a theory in my narrow little mind after seeing rads and assiociated cracks........impact and load GFRs are the culprits IMO.....
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Good news.The owner send me this picture.The crack looks sound and the horse haven't pain.The next week the vet will take rads for get a exact diagnostic about his navicular problem.
    image(1).jpeg
  6. Offline

Gabino Active Member

milor3.JPG
    Today I shod the horse again,eight weeks later. In the next week,the vet will take rads for to value the navicular disease.The horse is not pain.We have a good hope for it.

milor2.JPG