New Rasp and reworked mill tooth plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Offline

david a hall Moderator

$52 a box, that is good value Ray, I hope there is 6 in a box :D
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

what , eggs ?
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

David,

any # you want in the box at $21.00 ea. for the Silver Bullets, but I'll give you a deal and throw in a second cardboard box for only half of the 1st $52.00, so let s say 6 Silver Bullets @ $20.00 ea. = $120.00 plus the empty box @$52.00 and another empty for only $26.00 more............ David, if you work this right you could go into the box business, probably corner the market,but don t tell anyone I m giving you this special deal!

Ray
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Chris,

by honing I referring to the liquid honing process that we are using, this is an industrial high pressure steam sharpening system, if it helps, the abrasive is tan in color.

Ray
  5. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Yes forgot about the length.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I really like the finish from the Save Edge. with the wider width and the 17" length, you get much more surface area on the hoof, making it easier to get deviations out and blends the finish easier. The wider, longer rasp also makes flattening the hoof much faster and easier too. With the added surface area, the whole tool lasts longer too. Did I mention easier? That's what I like best.
  7. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Ray said, "I believe that I could get 10 horses from them, which is all I ever asked for from any rasp." WTF????

I feel I'm being cheated if I can't get 35 horses out of a regular rasp and 100 out of a Pferd hoof plane.

Reminds me of the shoer that won the lottery and when they asked what was he going to do with his millions, Retire? He said "well hell, I'm going to start every morning with a new rasp..."
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

since you brought him/her up and quoted ,could you provide the the name of the shoer who won the lottery and made the statement that you quoted, I d like to talk to him or her, maybe to sell some rasps to! But I ve not ever heard if their good fortune and at the least would like to congratulate them. Looking forward to the confirming info...............

I considered 10 horses to a rasp ,pretty good, thought it saved wear and tear on me. Sometimes I might get 15 ,sometimes 7 or 8, when dull i tossed it,never thought of resharpening. Others thought as you did and that s fine with me.
    My point in attempting to refer to how I found a tool to work is to to only give an apples to apples comparison, if you get 50 plus or a 100 plus, good on ya, I never have... but by saying what Ray Steele does with a product and what Ray Steele does with a comparing product ,to me keeps it within the same apple basket.

ray
  9. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

10 horses to rasp , so a rasp would last a day:(
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

if folks could get by the #, 10 per day, 50 per rasp etc and use the correlation,

as stated, when I was an exclusive Save Edge user I was satisfied to get 10 horses out of a rasp,out of the box, never touched up,never cleaned out, as stated others have gotten 50 etc. out of the same brand.......that was them,presuming that they were using the same brand as i, then i believe they should expect to get the same # of horses out of the same brand of rasp as they did, whatever brand, as I got 10 horses. So if Brian for example got 50 out of this Silver Bullet, and I got 10, and Brian got 50 out of a Save Edge and I got 10 ,then I would say that the Silver Bullet is comparable to the Save Edge.

The conversation is to tell about the tool........ not to be comparing about how Brian or you are so much better in handling your ...........tools .

another way to look at it is, as you inferred, 10 horses to a rasp so a rasp should last a day...........if a man or woman did 10 horses a week then he or she would clearly say , i get about a week out of a rasp.plugging in your # of 10 per day would mean 50 horses per week,but we clarified it at the beginning to state that that individual did 10/week.

Individuals often times do things differently from one another, my stating a # was only to give a value and a common individual,me, to compare to, the rest, the value of any tool will in my opinion be up to the individual.as is a lot of things.

ray
  11. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Thank you for the clarification Ray. I think you've done a reasonable job of removing a lot of the variables in this evaluation.

Oh, and the shoer that starts every day with a new rasp, he lives down the road from the farmer, that also won the lottery and said he'd just keep farming 'till his winnings were all gone...
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Thank you for the correct statistical analysis Ray. I am however a little worried that There is only six in a box, I cant drop them and they are more than 52 bucks. for the 6!! and another 20 bucks to have them wrapped in cardboard.
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

ok David,

enough small chat, when you are ready to order, please specify which end you want the tang on and your preference for inside or outside corners on the box........... it won t matter, ill ship whatever i have..further please make sure that your check of payment is non re fun able

ray
  14. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

That ugly word Depends raises it head...Moisture content in the hoof determines how many horses one will get out of a single rasp .
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

The P Plane worked very good, aside from the weight and the end I think it will compete very well against the Hoof Plane by Pferd. course the $52.00 ea. price tag vs the $60. to $78.00 ea. will help!

Ray
  16. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I would love to see a photo of the finish on the p plane
  17. Offline

I think I asked the same question but he might have taken me up wrong
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Don t think I took you wrong,just needed a reminder and to have Mrs. Steele available with her I pad!

Photo below is if the P Plane and the 6/6

Left to right, P plane course side, P Plane finer side, Furthest to the right ,one side of the 6/6 mill tooth.

The P Plane is 6 teeth per inch milled into the blank of steel with chip breakers and a file side on the opposing side.

The 6/6 is 6 teeth per inch milled into a blank,without chip breakers.

The 6/6 is cut into a heavier piece of stock because to get the cuts on both sides thins the middle quite a bit and makes it quite fragile, the reason for the deletion of chip breakers is because, in essence there are no chips,more curls of hoof,for me the lack of chip breaker makes the tooth act like a piece of glass or a finishing blade as used in cabinet finishing and provides more cutting edge.

The 6/6 weight 1.86 lbs and the P Plane weighs 1.70 lbs by my scale

Picture was taken with an I pad, not sure if it shows as well as may be possible or well enough to answer questions.

Ray

Attached Files:

19. Offline

Ray I was looking for finished foot job pic, showing the finish the rasp would give

Thanks
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I ll ask if one of my customers can take a pix for ya. I don t have any.

Ray