New Rasp and reworked mill tooth plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

20140108_094049.jpg 20140108_094006.jpg this is the first hoof finished with the p plain that I have done. Left small lines everywhere that I could not get out. And this rasp plugs up like nothing I have ever used before. On both sides. I used it on two horses. Probably going to switch out now
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

it don't look very exciting Michael(n)
  3. Offline

It not as good of a rasp as the I plain. I'm going to try it again when feet dry out to see how they work
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

thanks for that, when your done with it I d like to buy it back from you for what you paid so that I can pass it on to the manufacturer. again thanks for taking the time.

Ray
  5. Offline

Ray, they just seem like they need to be refined. However they made the brakes in the rasp leave a small edge that aids in the clogging. Not as sharp as the pferd or I plain. I will only send them back if the manufacture will return your money.
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

thank you ,

that ll be my problem, i ll learn some from getting a look and pushing the one(s) that you have tried.

Thanks again

Ray
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

I rcd. the P Planes back today, I believe you are correct about the chip breakers, they I believe are the source of the scratches in the hoof that you had and could well attribute to the clogging . The info is passed on to th "higher authorities" that be and he Plane will go out tomorrow. One problem,you said that it clogged up but i was clean when I got it, not sure how I ll make that understood! I d try English but theirs is probably better than mine.

Thanks for your patience.

Ray
  8. Offline

ray steele Administrator

In an attempt to keep subject to thread title I m passing on some info about rasps and mill tooth tools

Just got a call from Pferd, February 2014 will see about a 2.5 to 3.5% increase in the cost of their Hoof Planes
    Save Edge has already implemented a 2% increase.

If you use the Hoof Plane it might be a good time to purchase your supply,2.5 to 3.5% ins not a bad return in this market as opposed to leaving it under the mattress.

this is Just Info.

Ray
  9. Offline

What is the box price for pferd shipped? and how many in a box? if I recall correctly it's 5
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I happened to go to Ebay just before I came on here,

Some one in the UK is offering Pferd Hoof Planes for $175.00 each ,have 10 available, I can see I se my sales stall in the wrong country marketplace, anyone considering buying there call me and I ll deliver , and buy you a pint for that price,ie $1750. for the lot

Ray
  11. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

OK, after day 3 with the 6/6 hoof planer I got from Ray I'm getting the hang of it. Actually I think it needs to be broke in - seems to do better after dressing a few dozen feet. Clients are impressed with the finish, but they complain about the "shaved coconut" blowing all over the barn. I'm thinking I need to run the edges over the belt grinder to take off the points or invest in some Kevlar gloves. The points on the ends of the teeth are BRUTAL on the hands. Overall, I'm impressed with the tool. But I'm thinking for my purposes it will be dedicated to dressing the hoof and not general trimming.

Sorry no pictures.
  12. Offline

NikM New Member

$175 each?! I work with Pferd for 2 years for now, ordering them from US for $60 each, it is $300 for the box. Yeah, have to use gloves - nitrile will go - but I use gloves anyway.
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

NikM,

how much does it cost to ship them to you from the US, do you get hit for duty and or customs?

thanks

Ray
  14. Offline

NikM New Member

about $50-90 to Russian Federation, according to weight, so I order something that is expensive here along with rasps - clinchers, new nippers, etc.
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

NikM,

thanks for that,
    for your info, according to USPS website, the international priority price shown is $84.95, for up to 20 lbs,insurance is approx. $2.50 per $100. value. I passing this on since a box of 5 Pferds weighs approx 7 lbs, meaning you can maximize your shipping costs per piece by being as close to 20 lbs. per order as possible.

Thanks again

Ray
  16. Offline

NikM New Member

yep, I've found the last invoice - shipping costs were $85, total weight about 18 lbs
  17. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Nikm,

guessing that you brought over 10 planes(14 lb) and say a pair of nippers, 3.5 lbs plus packaging, an easy breakdown is 11 pieces divided into $85.00 is bout $7.75 per piece in shipping.

How much do the Planes cost in Europe and or Russia?

Thanks

Ray
  18. Offline

NikM New Member

don't know about Europe, but 1 year ago (the last shipment of Pferd to local Kerckhaert dealer) here in Russia they were about $85, it was long time and no shipments are planned in the future - I was told that current price would be about $120 or even more, no one would buy 'em
  19. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Another new flavor of traditional rasp to try.... I was sent 2 pcs. a few weeks ago, still using the 1st one, about 40 horses in.
    The teeth set up is as we have seen before, the difference is the steel that they are made of, which seems to be quite good, this particular rasp is one that i don t believe would give a satisfactory fine side finish,but i m quite impressed with the coarse side.

as i said i have one still unused sample, ,

anyone wishing to try it can ,bid, the right, high bidder will be sent the rasp ,i ll pay the shipping, your bid price will be donated to the charity of your choice, check made out to that charity.

i ll grind off the identifying logo ,in an attempt to get as unbiased opinion as possible.

any takers?

Ray
  20. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

I'll start the bidding at $25