New Rasp and reworked mill tooth plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

translation: 30 euros = about $41.00usd

$1.36 usd per euro
  3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I'll bid $12 USD.
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

congratulations Tom,
    you are definitely the low bidder , ...d effort!, or are you just willing to donate to your favorite charity... and Dog Fish Brewery is not a charity!

Brian, your up! are you going to be beaten out by a Irishman who can t think about a round hole!

I never put a time on this .........5 days ok?

ray
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I ve heard lots of folk complain about the quality of finish that some rasps produce, are there any rasp configurations that folk like?

Tuesday eve. 5 :00 est bidding will close on the rasp that Bloomer would not bid enough to cover the cost of a 12 pack of Dog Fish, side bet says it will go to Erie!

Regards

ray
  6. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Ray I have been looking into this and drawn some conclusions!!!
    At the min Save Edge rule, 2 years ago I wouldn't of bought them if they were free, I felt the uk. Was there dumping ground!!!
    Now I get two weeks out of a trimming rasp and then two weeks from a clenching rasp, the one becoming the other. I also use a save edge finishing rasp that is currently on 8 weeks, I only use it when I have finshed the foot and give a quick buff round with the smoother side of said finish rasp.
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

David,

one thought was to incorporate the final finishing file with the rasp on the other side, but from what you have written that now sounds like it would be too fine.

ray
  8. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

$50 ought to at least hold it until Sunday
  9. Offline

ray steele Administrator

translation:

$50.00 usd = 36.65 euro

might this mean that the Yank is more generous to charity than the Irishman or others?

my Grannies would be fumbling with their beads now!

additional side bet says that it will stay inUSA

ray
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

We have recently had a local company open up selling there wares and while in there I picked up a save edge rasp, they are around £20 pounds each in the uk so not cheap. Previously I have bought a box of them and the entire box has lasted 2 weeks. I tried the new save edge that I had bought and was impressed with how it lasted and general finish. I as said before it lasted two weeks ( one rasp, so I guess save edge upt it's game)and I would do 6 or 7 a day at the min so not bad.
    Anyway I attach a pic of 3 rasps, the one on the left is one of them big old save edges, you will notice the teeth are small and pointy, it is a devil to get rid of the very small rasp marks. Next in the middle is the normal foot dressing save edge, the teeth are wider and with less pressure rasp marks are reduced further. Then on the right Is the finish rasp, the long teeth plane the foot to mirror finish, a quick whip round with that and it looks like a WCF job. The finish rasp has done 8 weeks and still good for the same again.... This is just my views on what makes a rasp good.

Attached Files:

11. Offline

ray steele Administrator

David,

are all 3 of the rasps/files shown Save Edge products?

Thanks

ray
  12. Offline

david a hall Moderator

13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

the rasp will go out tomorrow, what charity are you giving to?

Thanks in advance

Ray
  14. Offline

your local Catholic social services
  15. Offline

I'm not overly impressed so far. I put it in and took it out of my box 3 times today. It didn't feel too sharp on hard dry Andalusian and Arab feet today. We just got 3" of rain in two hours this afternoon; so I'll let you know how it works on wet feet tomorrow
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

try it some more, and then we ll compare notes

thanks, your check arrived today, i ll bring it to a Catholic Children Ministry,in Turners Falls Ma. tomorrow, Hope I don t get bolted by the above, tomorrows visit will be the 2nd time in 2 months that I ve been into a church affiliated setting, the 1st was to get a mass card for a relative who died in Ireland about 6 weeks ago, the Priest knows me, took awhile to calm him down ,seeing me in the rectory and all, he s a man of Polish decent, so after he regained his composure we talked horses and I learned some things bout that country and the horse usage there.

It was a worthwhile visit, the family who rcd. the mass card felt remembered, Fr. DiMascola, and i had a nice visit and now i can tell my reletives that i ve been in a church setting recently.........3 times might be a little much but i ll get it done, maybe i should send Mrs. Steele! Thank you on their behalf

Ray
  17. Offline

It is a major failure, never felt sharp, clogged easily and after 11 feet, not horses, I counted 17 broken teeth.
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,
    sorry for us that the rasp did not work out, i ll pass along the sharpness and broken teeth observation and if it s ok with you next samples will go out to you without bidding, eventually we ll get 50 horses done , if only by a # of rasps, your info is important, thank you.

The 1856 that i used ,as i stated did not have a good finish side but the rasp side reminded me of some rasps i tried for Mustad 15 or so years ago, odd as it sounds they did not seem sharp but kept getting better until around 50 horses,then it died i think this manufacturer made those for them, the one i used felt alot like those to me. I dug out the twin to yours and it has a couple broke teeth also but in the area of 50 horses, now I wonder about those teeth ,at least mine never touched metal.

Thanks again

ray
  19. Offline

no rocks, no metal, just hooves, some dry some wet. If I get a chance, would you like me to send it back to you?
  20. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

How long do you get out of a rasp brian?