New Rasp and reworked mill tooth plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

keep testing it........ as to price range, i think it should in the area of the 6/6,6/9. the difficulty is that 1st it needs to be proven that the thing can be made satisfactorily , then can the process be sped up to manufacture enough at significant savings to satisfy investment

time, alot depends on these trials, no joke....... the longer it lasts for you, the longer that it will be for me to give back the info ,therefore the longer before machinery is ordered, set up etc.

these folks want to make an excellent product, add to that they are not in a hurry to dump a bunch of cash into a poor investment,
    thank you for taking the time, and keep us informed

ray
  2. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

Mine arrived yesterday, went to work today. Reminds me a lot of the first Pferds. 8 horses, went from wet waterlogged to hard and dry & worked well on all. I still think the shavings on the floor look like coconut. I hope I can get 100 horses out of it & a better price than Pferds; it will then be bye bye Heller.
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

not sure why it took so long to get to you ,but it got there,

please keep us posted and thanks for taking the time,

ray
  4. Offline

Yesterday late afternoon I thought this plane died after horse #42, at least on the course side. So out came a new Legend for the next 2 horses. I swear, if I win the lottery, I would start every day with a new rasp!

Last stop, just about dark, 2 G** D*** wet, filthy, muddy mini s; I grabbed the plane and it pealed foot off like nobodies business, WTF?

Ray, do these things regenerate if you set them aside and "rest" them? I'll put it back to work Monday and give it a another try.
  5. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Brian,

as to your 1st exclamation...................and you laugh at me in the past bout "new rasp every 10 or so horses"!

as to the question of regeneration etc. ..........if there is a buck in it for me, i ll rent you my super duoper, rasp resting official usda approved long term care resurgence bucket holder ,available in white or black ,for optimum rest for your rasp......................guaranteed to provide a vacation gettaway for tired rasps.................

really never heard of such a thing
    but i have noticed several times when i thought the thing was spent, it seemed to come back, i m 99% sure that is the operator that is spent but it s easier to blame the inanimate object!.......don t know.

thanks for the report

ray
  6. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I am experiencing the same as feet get harder. I wider tooth is more work when feet are hard. I had the same problem with Pferd. I am giving mine a buffing this morning . I am around the 50 horse mark.
  7. Offline

Operator error! Me? perish the thought... there is no reason a 60 yr plus shoer would need a new rasp after 8 hrs of shoing! LOL
  8. Offline

Well, it died for good at the 54th horse. The first few this morning were pretty wet footed, so it worked well, then by afternoon it was all hard dry #3s & #4s and the plane just skittered over them & didn't take much hoof at all. I'll try buffing it tomorrow morning and see if it comes back
  9. Offline

Mine is dying. Around 60 horses or more on mine. That is not bad. Buffed it 2 times. It has not lasted long since the last buffing but it did go from 65 and sunny to 20 and snowing in 4 hrs Monday. Today all feet were frozen. I will move it to my finishing rasp on Thursday. Im am taking tomorrow off.
  10. Offline

Buffing got me 4 more acceptable trims. If the price for these is in the $22 dollar range, it would be a deal; providing the quality stayed the same. Although, even Pferd couldn't keep the quality consistent at $60 each.
  11. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thanks for the info, i ll pass it along, did either of you test it for "dropsy" ie breakage?

Thank You

Ray
  12. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ray, I've got 25 trims on mine, and it's still going strong. It works like a dream on softer feet, not as good on the hard ones. My guess is that the tooth configuration gives it more "float", so it skips across the harder feet more than triangular teeth would. The finish it leaves is beautiful. The fine side doesn't seem to do much. I've been very careful not to drop it, LOL.

Regards
  13. Offline

ray steele Administrator

thanks Rick,

I appreciate your comments,and will pass them along, as to the drop test, when it is spent, please have at it or if you happen to!

thanks

ray
  14. Offline

Does throwing it a dog, missing and hitting a block wall count as a "drop test"? It survived.

A loose large mutt came in the aisle and was growling at the client's aged cocker spaniel; the near miss was good enough to run it off. She said she'd never seen it before.

It was still a useful tool.
  15. Offline

I have been using mine as a finish file. It died today. I will toss it around tomorrow.

I think this rasp easily work on 100 head. I buffed it 3 times. I'm cheap.
    I don't really like the fine side as a finish rasp. It always leaves lines.
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

thanks Michael,

i ll pass this info on,
    did it bounce?

thank you

Ray
  17. Offline

I have been dropping this rasp on concrete, Dirt, and Ice. I have not been able to break it. With the handle still on I stuck it under a horses front foot and had him stand on it with the shoe on. It bent but did not break. I will work harder on it this week.

On another note. I was looking at the fine side of the file and I was wondering if they cut it a little deeper and steeper angle I think it would be sharper and get a little more done.
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,
    this info has been passed along in it s entirety,

don t hurt yourself trying to break it!

interesting note,two that i did not send out had hairline cracks in the area of the 6 and 7th tooth on the coarse side,performed well and have not broken,now the thing is to figure out if the cracks showed up before,after or during heat treat.

thank you

ray
  19. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ray, I did my 51st trim on Saturday. I missed one day because of snow, and another da6y I used a heller because my wedge fell out of my handle. I ran the buffer over it this weekend, 'cause it's getting a little weak. Keep in mind that temps have been in the low 30's, so the feet are hard. This week will be warmer so it will probably work better. I have found no real use for the fine side yet. I started using it ( the fine side) to file off clinches because it kind of acts like my rough rasp on that side. I still love the finish the plane side leaves. I could see me using the plane exclusively as a finish rasp.

Regards
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thank Rick,

i ve passed this on

look forward to your warmer week and the report.

thanks

Ray