New Rasp and reworked mill tooth plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

after reading how tough this rasp has been for you folk, i felt ok talking to a morgan brood mare by way of the touchy feely method , that was being a pia this am. I now am the proud owner of two short planes, one with a tang and one without

ray
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

can you weld them together to make a new one LOL
  3. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I tossed mine about 15 feet up in the air today. Came down on dirt. Its still in one piece. I might try something else to try and brake this bugger.
  4. Offline

Ok I was determined to brake the file at lunch in an unconventional manner. Shot at 20 yards with my compound bow. 100 grain field point. 20141125_133952.jpg 20141125_133906.jpg

File 1. Arrow 0

There were several cracks that formed but did not break.
  5. Offline

So I moved to a 22 long.
    It broke along the fracture lines the first two times I shot it. So I put it up and shot were it did not have a fracture. Dang thing held up somewhat. 20141125_135135.jpg 20141125_135145.jpg

Last photo shows last point of impact. Shots at 15 yards with a handgun.
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

and Mrs Steele says I have to many toys!

do you think it would be worth sending it to Chris for welding?

thanks Michael, I pass this info along

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it, we are off to beat the snow storm and hopefully catch up with grand urchins.

ray
  7. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Michael, you are seriously deranged, LOL. Keep up the good work!!

Regards
  8. Offline

Rick, my work here is finished.
  9. Offline

Clint Burrell Active Member

Ray,
    I thought you had been in this business long enough to know to turn your rasp sideways before tuning-up a horse.:confused:
  10. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Clint,
    One of my favorite things is explaining that to a new client who just told me how they had to fire a Farrier because he "hit the horse so hard it broke the rasp!". I like to explain that with the rasp on edge "you can hit even harder without fear of hurting the rasp." Always goes over well.
  11. Offline

Ray, just checking in on the rasp. Another "snow day" today, so only one horse to do, about a mile down the road. I trimmed the 71st horse yesterday with the plane, and it's still working ok. It got Friday off because my handle came loose again. I went back to a Red Tang with about 30 trims on it that day, and I had to adjust my rasping technique and pressure. The plane is so much smoother, and the Heller was more aggressive. Remember, about 60 trims vs 30, at that time. I'm thinking I'll be using the plane into next week, if this weather keeps up. Then all hell will break loose getting caught up.

Regards
  12. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Rick
    So How are You Going to break it , go a 30/30?

all of the info is being passed on to the manufacturer, with me trying to translate farrier speak to cutting tool makers, there are some more samples coming ,that will incorporate some of the feedback from you folk

I m still working on a discaimer of what not to do with these thing based on Michael and Brian s scientific observations ..and my own

thank you

Ray
  13. Offline

Ray, did you suggest to them any ways to improve the fine side? Yes, when I'm done, I'll take the 30-30 to it.

Regards
  14. Offline

I think you should tie it to balloons and let it float up a good distance. Then shotgun practice!

I also think if you do, a video would be nice.
  15. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Rick,

it has been brought to their attention, as always there are the wants and technology limitations, as perceived by both parties...........basically one of the samples coming will have fewer teeth ie coarser teeth per inch another if i understand ,deeper chip breakers, unfortunately there will only be 1 or 2 of each, but they are working on itthanray
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Jissus,

has the world gone video/picture crazy!

the disclaimer notice will be 4 pages soon and folk will wonder what they can do with the thing after reading all the don ts

Michael , I ll pass it on

ray
  17. Offline

Ray, I retired the plane Saturday at 75. It was -9 for my first horse, and I was working way too hard with it. I started up today with a red tang. That dam plane spoiled me! I'm still thinking on how I want to try to destroy it. Whacking an owner in the shins with it came to mind. I'll try some things when it gets below 0 again, just to add another factor.

Regards
  18. Offline

Wait until it warms up to hit a horse owner with it! They have too much padding on at nine below.
  19. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thanks Rick,

as to whacking an owner, may i suggest that you are always careful not to hit/damage the check writing hand!

Ray
  20. Offline

ray steele Administrator

nine below! another warning ,do not hire a farrier who would work at nine below and attempt to use this thing, he/she might be certifiable.................and im not talking in farriery!

ray