New Rasp and reworked mill tooth plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ray steele, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Offline

shoe'em Member

You have a picture of that "plane" Or did I miss that somewhere in the chats?
  2. Offline

ray steele Administrator

I ll try to get a pic up for you, I might be able to find the two, " pony" plains that I invented, and a slightly used replacement,I think Brian's got eaten by the dog, Michaels has probably been buried ,Ricks ,if still in the freezer will be available for viewing after the ice age in Maine has passed".......

Ray

Attached Files:

3. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ray, here are the pictures I took of your files:

001.JPG 002.JPG
  4. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Thanks Rick,

Since you and Michael mentioned that the file side of the mill plane didn t seem to do much, the manufacturer sent over these options as something that could be incorporated to better the results , please let me know what you think,.....these guys are listening!

I only had two of each and felt that your input, yours and Michael were more important than mine.

Thanks for taking the time.

Ray
  5. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

Hi Ray, I am all in for the fine side on #2. Actually either one would be an improvement, but I like the finish better on #2.
  6. Offline

I agree with Michael. The fine side on #2 is an improvement. I find the coarse ( curved tooth ) side to work ok on the flat bottom of the hoof, but not better than the original plane. One thing I do notice when using that side on the sharp edges of the hoof is that the configuration tends to pull the file in one direction or another, rather than going in a straight line. If you're not careful, it will slough itself off the hoof entirely. I don't think I would like it. Did you find this Michael, or is it just me? I'll try #1 Saturday.

Regards
  7. Offline

ray steele Administrator

The samples were sent of cutting edge configurations of what they had on hand, i don t believe that the curverd tooth mill was intended ,it was the file side that they thought might be considered, that said , that curved tooth will make you get your rasp stroke down pretty consistent, given that if your at all sloppy bout it you will go from one side to another.

thank you
    Ray
  8. Offline

Agreed Rick. The curved side takes foot off but you cant really direct it.
  9. Offline

Ray, I tried the #1 file today on 3 hooves. It works OK. I'd say it could be a little more aggressive. Since you didn't keep any for yourself, I'm going to sent them both back so you can get a feel for what Michael and I experienced.

Regards
  10. Offline

ray steele Administrator

so would it be safe to say that both you and Michael prefer the file side of #2 to be put on the file side of the
    P plane along with the tooth configuation on the last P plane that you used?

thnks

ray
  11. Offline

That would be the best combination so far IMHO.

Regards
  12. Offline

I agree with that.
  13. Offline

Ray, it was -20 here yesterday, so I thought it would be a good time to try to break the latest plane. I dropped it on cement from 0 to 5 feet with handle on, and it didn't break. Then I threw it down a couple of times. I decided to see what would have happened when I stepped on it ( with handle on ). It bent. I should have taken a picture, but I decided to wack it on the floor. Then it finally broke.

Regards
  14. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Moral of the story is........................do not attempt to work when temp is below - 19 f ?
  15. Offline

The moral of the story is if you're tough enough cold weather won't break you.

Regards
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

We had a few corrected mill tooth horse files at the Summit for inspection, the corrections were made in changing the fine side to the tooth configuration as suggested by Rick and Michael and overall cleaning up the product. A preliminary batch of 250 pieces is now being manufactured with 45 pcs being sent along initially, plan is to be ready by the middle of the last week of February.

I used one yesterday for three trims and was very satisfied. Target price is $54.00 usd each.

Ray
  17. Offline

Can I get three or four to start with when you get them?
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

I have 3 pcs on hand now, should have approx 50 pcs in 2 weeks time, followed up by 200 pcs in about 5 weeks then full shipments. The timing has to do with production and then having them sharpened at a different location.

would you like one of the pcs that I have on hand?

if so , i ll send you one for the $54.00 , then you can decide if it fits your requirements.

Thanks

ray
  19. Offline

That would be great... I would like to try a couple for sure from each shipment.
  20. Offline

david a hall Moderator

good luck with this Ray, looking forward to seeing one.