not sure about this one

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mike burrows, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Offline

mike burrows New Member

ok ,to start with i mostly just read others posts and try and learn what i can,thanks to all that do post,this place is impressive.now on to my little dilemma.i was out riding with a friend and was watching his horse move.the off hind foot and hip,i have no pictures to show so bear with me . initially touchdown on the inside heal strait leg and normal other than not landing flat on the hoof.but then as it puts weight on the rest of the hoof it rotates inward and rolls off on the outside of the toe and drops and the hip.as i watched this i watched the horse also and the horse seemed to be content. so i looked again at the foot from my saddle and see the hoof wall at the outside heel has been growing in the opposite of normal.i asked how long he said always.i said your horse needs shoes to get some support for that heel .so i ended up with the job .i get under the horse a week later .i pick up the fronts and they are hard as a rock ,could barely touch the sole,not much foot there so i just rasped a little to square them up and round the edges to stop them from chipping out so badly .then the back foot ,the foot that put me here.well ipicked it up and saw the leg was not so strait and the outside heal was sheared,lots ! this horse has been bare foot for 2 years that i know of. again not alot of hoof to work with .the outside heel was lower than the frog and rolled over and the inside heel had a quarter inch of growth . so imade a few passes with my rasp squared up the hoof rolled the toe to help with break over .end result the horse lands flat but still clunky on the off hind.so i get home and look up sheared heal in my books and became confused ,book says trim the heels even for length of growth .i did not do this ,i squared up the foot leaving a slight space for the heal to drop down to .i did not put shoes on the horse .i will try to get some pics in next time i see the horse .just looking for advise to help a horse
  2. Offline

Draftshoer Active Member

When you say you squared the foot, I assume you mean that you leveled and balanced the foot. Pictures are worth a few thousand words sometimes. Why did you not shoe the horse, was there not enough foot to nail to?
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

how old is the horse ?

ray