open for any and all ideas

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by travis dupree reed, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

IMAG0117.jpg IMAG0196.jpg IMAG0199.jpg ..I'm just kinda at a stall on this one..not much head way...owner is happy horse sound ..but I wonder is there something more I can do..
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

You cleaned it up well considering what you had to work with.

Why cover the cracks with composite?
  3. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

Shorter cycle?.?. Frog support whether it be pour in or pad (flat or frog) with impression material.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Offline

Josh Ramsey Member

I'd question filling those cracks too. I find it pretty risky doing that unless you're really sure that you have it debrided to healthy tissue all over.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  5. Offline

Truthfully tom I felt like it help keep manure out...a hail marry really.... Josh I should have got a bottom pic...he is in 3 full wedge with impression material....I think a short cycle deff help a ton..its a haul in from 3hrs away but I deff see if I can talk them into it..thanks for what u guys would do..I'm just kinda lost on this one..
  6. Offline

So you did it because you're catholic? Go figure.
  7. Offline

Lol..yea ....you know looking back I guess it was like let me pile to more shit on the feet and hopes something will happen..lol...good or bad..but shit something diff happen...I should have went for the fuzzy dice..to late now they just loaded and left..lol..
  8. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

i would clean the nails up from the floor or you will have more problems
  9. Offline

Thanks smitty ..when I get some help i will put him right on that..until then the horse better be still if he don't want a nail in his toes..
  10. Offline

11. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Travis, how tight is the white line on those hooves?

Regards
  12. Offline

About as tight as a.....never mind ... Spread out ..pulled looking.. ya think he has some I.R. issues..our rotation
  13. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I have one on the books that looks like that. A laminitic that the capsule looks to be rotated up on. The horse is serviceably sound - no evident pain. Not even the expected WLD or abcessing. Now I just keep bringing the toe back, and being careful on the sole. She doesn't look too bad when I leave, but when I come back, we're right back where we started. I've tried different stuff, shoes, pads, wedges, resecting and rebuilding but have so far been frustrated. The horse has been that way for 7 years that I know of, and longer before I met her. I just hope nobody asks the owner who his farrier is LOL. It would be interesting to see an X-ray. I feel your pain Travis. I hope someone can help "us" with this.

Regards
  14. Offline

Bingo..rick.. every time they haul its right back where we started..
  15. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Travis,
    What I'd do on that horse is maybe just a bit more of what you're already doing. Roll the toe a bit more, set the shoe back a bit more, go with a frog support pad. Lots of Durasole and soft equi-pak. Sure looked better when it left.
  16. Offline

What Bill said. Maybe go up a size in shoe then add a full web rocker toe with the rocker set back well behind the WL - captures the dorsal wall for additional anterior support - which you completely lose when you set the shoe under past the WL without a rocker.

Attached Files:

17. Offline

Chad Rice New Member

18. Offline

Thanks bill.... Tom when you say more shoe are you meaning behind ...so far no pulled shoes so I think I got the room and wondered myself if I should have after I got done...chad its sure good to see ya on..I have been wondering how you been..and scared to use a heart I damn near cripple one ..I swore i never put another one on until I got with someone to show me how and what to watch for...
  19. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Tom, of course, is full of crap. A toe like that on Travis' horse will have blood all over the floor if the shoe is placed where it should be.
    You want to thin out the toe, drawing it forward but thin, supporting the toe, yet allowing relieved breakover.
    Travis, is on the right track wanting more shoe behind. With a wedged frog support pad. you can grind or rasp a nice bevel behind, and have a bit of flexibility a hart bar can't provide.
    Tom I hope this rebuke and insult will drive you into a deep depression and that you never come here again. At least it may get you to put me on ignore status henceforth.
  20. Offline

Not behind. More shoe to accommodate the full web rocker in the toe. If you don't do that and instead attempt a full web rocker with the same size shoe it might turn out bloody like when Bill Adams does it. Basically you're building a wide toe clip between the toe nail holes in the shoe. This is much easier done hot like I do it instead of cold like Bill does it.