Opinions?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

I'd like to say thanks for all the advice/helpfull links, etc. offered to me earlier in this forum. There's a lot of good info that I will be seriously delving deeper into.

David - You are right. After skimming over duckett vs. russell a couple of times I realized I really didn't/don't have a clue about shoe placement. I will absolutely keep studying this and try to properly apply in my work. How I was taught to apply NB shoes was to measure the distance from the frog to the anterior web of the shoe, and to keep that distance around 3/4 - 7/8" depending on foot size. I'm thinking now that's probably incorrect, but it's the way I was shown.

Donnie - I checked out the site you provided a link to and have just barely scratched the surface there but will keep studying everything I can there. Looks like a great site, thank you.

Justin - You are absoulutely right. The horse is super stiff in his knee, and a little toed out as well. With that in mind, (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like he would be breaking over pretty heavily on the lateral toe quarter. When I look at one of those NB shoes, the toe quarter area of the shoe looks like it would provide the greatest resistance for the horse. So do you think this horse may do better in a more traditionally shaped shoe with a round toe?
  2. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Put a sidebone shoe on and he will love you! :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  3. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

Ryan please read what you have written ,whoever taught you this NB crap has scammed you , it would be the "interior rim of the shoe not the anterior , there is a massive difference , wether practical or theoretical never skip a process or page for quicker easier results , they are there for a reason
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I disagree, but since you said this, it did cause me to go back and read the entire thread from the beginning before responding.
  5. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I
    I have great respect for both David and Tom. You, not so much....
  6. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

so have I , not bothered what you think of me , your not on your own
  7. Offline

Ryan Williams Member

Chris that's what I meant, I just used the wrong word. Nevertheless, you are right about the other stuff. I was shown how to put a shoe on but wasn't shown or taught why it goes there, or how to find out if it's really in the right place.
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

There is a surprise :D
  9. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

That's his middle name David:)
  10. Offline

Ryan, there are several theories about shoe placement and all of them have been reduced to some kind of cook book process. But the ultimate judge of whether or not a shoe is really in the right place is the horse, not whether or not the application is in compliance with "the rules." If you fit them all the same, then you are fitting at least some of them wrong.
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Only now!!!! only now do you put something constructive in!!!!!!!! You must drive those around you mental :D
  12. Offline

David, mental is a prerequisite to survive being around me. :p
  13. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Ryan,
    A natural balance shoe is just a U shaped piece of metal. The same as any other brand. You need to know why you are doing any thing in the whole process of shoeing a horse. What ever you do to a foot you should be able to answer the question "Why?", weather it's picking out the shit when you first lift up a foot, or moving the shoe 1/32" forward or backward.
  14. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

As mentioned before and nobody could argue
    if you can get the trimming right the fitting becomes a lot easier
    by the way Ryan its not everybody can master these areas
    of the job.
    Just for the reckord that's why IMO a true farrier can master all
    areas of the job
  15. Offline

appaloosa 64 New Member

Hi Rick, I know its been awhile since you posted the picture and info about the Castle bar wedge pad with frog support. What I was trying to find out is are they sized as the Mustad No Shock pads are o, 1, 2, etc. Castle Plastics website does not state this and I am having trouble finding any information about them. I am located in Northern BC.
    Thanks to you or anyone else with any info.
    Rob Johnson