Opinions?

Discussion in 'Everyday Horseshoeing' started by Tejun, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Offline

david a hall Moderator

One of the great things about Grant is to sit down and listen to his stories on his life, He has had some interesting times. Nearly as interesting as listening to tom.
    How is my favourite country outside the UK?
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

My Brother got to go a week on the road with Grant when he was an Apprentice
    making every shoe for the foot for a week on the road
  3. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

My brother went to Japan on business once.
  4. Offline

It sure was not Farriery related
  5. Offline

Zouhair Benjabbour Zou

I would love to know what do you do with your science :rolleyes:.
    You must have some interesting tool box full of scientific tools that you use to scientifically treat your horses. while others have some rough tools to attach pieces of metals to horses feet.
  6. Offline

Zouhair Benjabbour Zou

We have a Moroccan proverb that says: " Sitting with great guys is recreation".
    The country is a bit wet at the moment, but other than that it is as good as you remember it.
  7. Offline

First of all it isn't "my" science. Science is for everyone that wants to use it.

Science changes its views based on evidence.

Dogma denies the evidence in order to preserve belief.

So far in this thread nobody has challenged my observations and evidence with their own observations and evidence in regards to the widest part of the foot reference. Instead there's a bunch of name dropping, attempted insults, changing the subject, obfuscation, and general bullshit. It seems I've touched a nerve with a few folks. Well maybe it's time to get out of your comfort zone and do a little critical thinking or maybe not.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

No one has challenged your views on the widest part of the foot, You are the one has picked up that one and run with it as I remember I drew a line across the widest point of the foot, thats all I guess I touched on that nerve. No one is dropping names, You are the master of that, all I did was name people who put up easily watched vids. :D
  9. Offline

What is the reason for the line you drew, David?
  10. Offline

david a hall Moderator

If only you had thought to ask that in the first place. Its how I teach to make shoes for a foot tom. Prob not something you have to do, create learning aids for people who are learning there trade. Its a different style to criticizing a learner with constant sniping or sarcasm, I find both those aids to make a poor working relationship with a student.
    If you remember it was a foot for an apprentice to make a shoe to fit,not some sinister bastardisation of the COR. The fact that you said it was good work is another area we are in agreement with. If an apprentice was to fit a shoe as you have done in there exam they would FAIL as it doesn't fit the toe. In my mind probably a good job they do it my way and dont get into a debate with the examiner, just do what will pass.
  11. Offline

David, I'm sure you are well aware of the fact that fitting the toe and fitting the COA are usually, nut not always, constrained as mutually exclusive conditions. How do you explain this to your students?
  12. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

in my opinion at the minute , Tom you are just being an argumentative twat
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Apart from the grammar and spelling I have not a clue what this means.

There are marking criteria laid down from the WCF. For the purpose of this exercise the fit should be a perimeter fit, unless otherwise stated by the examiner, but I dont believe that they have ever asked for a shoe that lacks a fit in the toe. For the sake of their most important exam of their life to date we focus on a flat shoe flat foot that is the correct size and as near symmetrical as the sensitive structures will allow after capsule distortion has been removed (forward dressed). This is a good start and something that many many farriers cant achieve.
    You can make this thread something it isnt if you like, but it started as a question on improving basic farriery. Prob best many more focus on that than the Center of Rotation, Center of Articulation Center of Pressure and all the other bollocks that get spouted by people who have yet to master the basics.
  14. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Ok, I've heard the term "bollocks" used enough times and in different contexts by ou friends across the pond that I finally looked it up. Wikipedia says:

"Bollocks" /ˈbɒləks/ is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English and Hiberno-English, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless". Similarly, the common phrases "Bollocks to this!" or "That's a load of old bollocks" generally indicate contempt for a certain task, subject or opinion. Conversely, the word also figures in idiomatic phrases such as "the dog's bollocks", "top bollock(s)", or more simply "the bollocks" (as opposed to just "bollocks"), which will refer to something which is admired, approved of or well-respected."

So Tom, either you have been accused of having balls, being useless, or of being admired, approved of, or well respected. 4 out of 5 ain't bad.:p

Regards
  15. Offline

fuck off Rick , stop trying to be a smartarse , Tom is just being a twat , basically trolling , he is well out of his depth trying to talk farriery with David Hall beleive me
  16. Offline

gary evans old and slow

Easy Chris, I think Rick was just trying to lighten the tone a bit.
  17. Offline

Im just glad I cant draw lines
  18. Offline

Gary th thread is titled "opinions " , that is mine . If anybody wants to ask me to put mine on the chopping board i will be up for the challenge face to face in front of whoever if they foot the bill , wouldnt be the first time and wont be the last , bring it on
  19. Offline

Zouhair Benjabbour Zou

I think this thread started like an interesting and informative thread until post 60.
    I think it will be great if a moderator goes back and delete all post after post 59.

20. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

No way. Things get learnt by the innocent bystanders.