Outer hoof horn

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Karen Fletcher Active Member

I have to say that maybe my farrier did buff out the old growth line because my horse was trimmed (by old farrier) to be 1/2 inch higher on the medials-you know what that did!
  2. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

Because the tubules can be trained to grow straight by buffing them. The same as dressing distortion in the bottom of the foot if you don't dress it the top will follow if let go long enough. Why not get it before it starts to distort. I just posted a good example of a foot that I feel a hoof buffer will help in everyday shoeing. We can keep an eye on it and just see what happens I will post pics every time I do the horse.
  3. Offline

jack mac Guest

Because the tubules can be trained to grow straight by buffing them. Trained!!! that's a new take on it :confused: You mean weakening it . Its a great way to buff the feet to being boxed. Rasping & buffing above the blood line. That blood line being to the point where if you drove a nail straight up the white line you reach sensitivity & blood is damaging !!!. I just posted a good example of a foot that I feel a hoof buffer will help in everyday shoeing. We can keep an eye on it and just see what happens. :rolleyes: unless your going to only buff one hoof & not buff the other .What on earth could we possibly be comparing & judging. Other then how well theses hovers are managing to hold up to buffer abuse .
  4. Offline

jack mac Guest

Trav. Justin D I just posted a good example of a foot that I feel a hoof buffer will help in everyday shoeing. Will save me a lot of typing.;)
  5. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

owen 2.JPG

Jack would you consider this over use of dressing the outer wall?
  6. Offline

Have you any proof of what you say Jack? Articles in books are not proof just opinion, and you know what they say about those don't you!!
  7. Offline

What do you think Justin;)
  8. Offline

jack mac Guest

Yes . you have gone to high. What purpose has going that high with your buff served other then a fetish . If that was a thin walled thoroughbred & not a cart horse with think wall & who's wall has more resilience to injure that treatment . The horses hooves would be turning to complete brittle shit in the next few shoeing cycles.
  9. Offline

owen 4.JPG

I have been shoeing him 15 years + i dont think he looks to bad
  10. Offline

jack mac Guest

Where is the sense in removing the protective periople from the horn that is being charged with the most nutrient & depriving it what was afforded to protect its best out come when it grows down & take the place of the old horn.
  11. Offline

what im asking Jack has this horses feet suffered in the past 15 years
    by me dressing the outer wall this way
  12. Offline

jack mac Guest

Try that on a thoroughbred with thin walls. See how long you get away with it.
  13. Offline

give me some credit Jack i have only been shoeing 35 years
    and i have put up pics that work for me
    im not quoteing some book from aussiland from 1920
  14. Offline

jack mac Guest

Do you have any other photos of this horse ?. Have any of a thoroughbred you have been treating in that manner for the last fifteen years.?
  15. Offline

Jack why dont we see somthing from you
    God knows i have posted my fair share of my work
  16. Offline

Looks good to me!!!
  17. Offline

Both photos I posted in the other thread were Thoroughbreds, like I said we can keep an eye on them and see what happens. I'd say 60 % of the horses I shoe are TB's I usually start out with brittle feet for the first few cycles then I don't have much trouble.
  18. Offline

I can give him T/B feet if he wants but whats the point
    does anybody else want to tune into this
  19. Offline

jack mac Guest

Then post some of thoroughbreds. Surly you have shod them. I spend most of my Time having to deal with shoeing horses that's hoof wall has become brittle & can hardly hold a shoe on due to the practice of farriers striping the periople to the coronet & I see it just as the books state. Lets see your thoroughbred shoeing or do you only shoe thick walled cart horses & I've been shoeing over 40 years.
  20. Offline

david a hall Moderator

There are defiantly some feet that benefit from the periople being preserved, There are defiantly some jobs that look better buffed. :D
    I am not sure of the scientific research as I dont know of any. But the periople is described as a semi permeable membrane. If that is the case dose any one know if the passage of moisture can be controlled through osmosis?
    I sort of thought that (just my own thoughts) that if it were osmosis, then the passage of a low concentrate to a high concentrate across a semi permeable membrane then if the foot were to wet then the capsule could shed water across it and if it were to dry then the hoof capsule could retain moisture. That all suposes its osmosis and a semi permeable membrane and that it works with moisture. :D annd it would be prohibitive in any extreme climates.