Overexcited heels

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Gabino, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Offline

Gabino Active Member

It depends. The banana shoe is an ortopedic shoe for horses whit problems.If the race horse has many problem and it's in rest or in way of recuperation,the banana is indicated and it work well than another horse.If the horse is sound,I dont fix never a banana.The rolling of banana loss much traction.
  2. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

This is how i've been shoeing the club foot race horses here. I was considering putting on banana shoes on a couple of em but makes sense what you said, excuse the finish was 51deg when i was shoeing this lad today and I had six sets to do. A local farrier who is now my assistant had been shoeing him while they were between farriers, he trims level but doesnt dress dorsol wall at all, wish id gotten before photo he had massive long dished flared toe and huge heels im hoping this will even out the growth a bit, I havent seen an xray would have asked for one but vet was in surgery. Any advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Really one needs to address the lateral heel. In most "Clubbed or Stumpy footed horses impact/load the laterad heels/ that heel needs to be down/lowered/hammered down on the shoe." not making an assumption, but some one has "right handed farrier's disease" or the stallion is FKED! Conformational.....Rads DONE?" shows that medial wings are exposed. A true RAD OR "just GET IT DONE"?
  4. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

So you hammer down the ground surface of the lateral heel in them?
    How do ya see right handed farrier disease from that picture, not saying your wrong, i was half delirious shoeing them today in that heat havent acclimatised yet, its a long way from my best work I normally wouldnt post work like that but could do with the help on mechanics so ill have to take the flak, just wondering how ya see it?
  5. Offline

Cody Gilreath Member

Ive witnessed that Jaye can shape a shoe to a hoof never picking it up, just looking at the outside.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  6. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

I have no doubt hes probably one of if not the most talented farriers on any of these forums ive been looking at the forums on and off now for a few years and he has always stood out a mile with his knowledge hence why im posting to try and get some help from the likes of him. Im no 65 year old with 40 years tenure im a young farrier looking for a bit of help, I thought that was what the forum was all about? Slate my work away I dont give a boll#x just in between a bit of help please :D
  7. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

David, most clubs will grow excessive lateral heels..just look at your coronary band to keep things in perspective..trim the club and walk around the horse and then come back and you will still need to lower it abit..just so you understand me when I say walk around the horse=trim the other feet while that one settles..Jaye is the type that Wants you to Think first, not a bad approach!! Good Luck in that heat...
  8. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Gary gave a bit of advise. Take and learn. Learning doesn't stop when the "shop is closed".

"Tenure" is accumulative. Experiences.

you work " your work be slated"?

u have p
  9. Offline

Chad Rice New Member

That ain't nothin... you should see the "Old Man" crack a toe bend!
  10. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

Thanks Gary I will keep this in mind and try as you've said. I had noticed jamming at the coronary band but seemed to be both heels equally but I will observe more carefully in future now I know what to look out for.

From Ireland three weeks ago in the middle of summer hitting heights of 18deg to saudi hitting 51deg it aint easy but can only get better...especially when maintenance get around to fixing the aircon in the farrier room :cool:

I get Jaye's approach but to be honest I rarely understand him maybe its lost in the American to Irish translation.

Ive no idea what this means?

No your right there, it wasn't slated, that was constructive criticism, right handed farrier disease has always been a bad habit of mine when i'm under pressure it creeps back in, Il have to be more vigilant about it!

Your 100% right obviously, that's why i'm on the forum to try to learn, and if you guys can point me in the direction of any good literature on line that you think is good educational reading also id really appreciate it.

11. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

quote="Chad Rice, post: 9404, member: 22"]That ain't nothin... you should see the "Old Man" crack a toe bend![/quote]
    what do you mean , crack a toe bend ?
  12. Offline

Gabino Active Member

13. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Gabino,

Its a good thing that 'a picture is worth a thousand words' because I understand the pictures but haven't got a clue about the language. ;)

Rick
  14. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

thanks gabino, I just opened it in google chrome and it translated it to english for me
  15. Offline

jack mac Guest

Attached Files:

16. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

17. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

The ones on the list today werent too bad this was only clubby foot today.
  18. Offline

ray steele Administrator

19. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

David how did you end up in Saudi ..if ya don't mind me asking..
  20. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

They were looking for someone with charm, charisma and amazing good lucks so I was the obvious choice! :LOL:

Through a recomendation from someone at home, they also only seemed to want young guys with no families out here due to the heat and difficulties for women and kids due to the islamic law.