pads

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by smitty88, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Chris,

sorry if i miss read, i was under the belief that if a post is posted by the person named, in this case , Chris Bunting ,then that is to whom i should address when speaking to the comments made and questions asked. it s a form of being direct, not big with some i suppose! no foul.no penalty!

ray
  2. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

i was refering to the original post as well you know
  3. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

Regarding the original post - considering that Smitty obviously doesn't use many pads, It was a reasonable question. My guess is that the environment he works in, and the activity of horses he shoes, does not require the use of pads. Where I live, those factors sometimes dictate the use of pads. My further guess is if he were shoeing in northern New England, he would be using more pads, and if I were shoeing in Ireland, I would use less pads.

Would anyone like to argue about whether a pad could help a sore footed or injured horse do his job?

Regards
  4. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Maybe they have better horses in Ireland.
  5. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

I said earlier that I only have a couple in pads, but it's about 6 or 7 in front pads. I hate using pads so I charge a lot to make it easier to live with hatred in my life.
    Where I use them is on thin footed , crooked paint WP horses, founder cases, frog support and protection on one of my endurance horses, and I've put just one on after the Vet digs out an abscess. The thing is, if you need pads, ain't much else works.
  6. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Bill I dont think I have used 6 or 7 pair in ten years or more I have used some pour Ins
  7. Offline

Western Hill Forge Active Member

I love doing pour ins, but it is much cheaper to use leather and/or plastic. I hate pads too, Bill. Sometimes things can get a little nasty under them, but as you said, sometimes they are necessary.

Regards
  8. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

True, but I also found stuff like Magic Cushion works really well against such problems.
  9. Offline

Mikel Dawson Active Member

I put a pad on a horse yesterday. The horse came from the vet lame because it was trimmed very crooked and had a pressure point around the lateral toe - wide point. I put a pad on, cut away that section because there was no horn wall to work with. Horse walked off sound.
  10. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Bill I shod a horse to day , very flat feet , tin walls and poor quality feet. Made a pair from 1 x 5/16, very fine fullering with sufficent nal pitch also deep seated them, it kinda gave him everything he needed , dident take any pics I was thinking they were gone out of fashion I could be wrong
  11. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I used a pair of pads in July, the horse was sound after. Thought I might use more after but didn't get around to it.
  12. Offline

bet they were freebies
  13. Offline

david a hall Moderator

A sadle flap.
  14. Offline

have you got one of those fancy duval pad cutters ?
  15. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I use pads because the vet asks for them. Lighter the a wedge steel shoe.

I actually hate pour in pads. I think they cause there own set of problems and I hate feeling like I am filling up a trash can just to shoe a horse. I don't really care for pads. But I pick them over equipack.
  16. Offline

ray steele Administrator

Michael,

tho I make pads of many variety, I don t use a lot of them cept in the venues that require them. By that i mean when i was shoeing alot of winter set up ,gaited or foot sore horses, % wise most of the horses i ve shod have been without them(pads), by a great measure.

but if they(pads) work for the application,and or just plain help the horse out, i ll use them,

i sell equi pac and of course the tips that mixes the stuff, yet have only done a couple pour ins, didn t see the benefits, not to say that i may be blind, but if they work for some, i ll not be the judge.

i go by , if the horse goes better........... carry on,

ray