Pictures for Jack....WLD

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by grimwood, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

2. Offline

grimwood Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I actually talked the owner into keeping the treatments up for another week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  3. Offline

slowshoe Member

Sigafoose can certainly be used for WLD. Or if you want to nail on a shoe and the damaged area is quite large you can patch it of go all the way around the hoof like a cuff with kevlar/cobrasox or the like then nail through it. Just follow this approach..

Debride area very well. Treat with white lighning/cleantrax, or Ozone gas.
    If debrided area is sensitive, mix cs with soft IM (or even one side of the IM) and spread a very thin layer over debrided area.
    Mark area above debrided area then cover debrided area with equilux.
    now apply cuff shoe or cuff. After curing now cut away the patch under the areas you marked. You will be cutting away JUST the top 8-10mm (3/8") of the debrided area down to the IM, expose this area so it can be cleaned. This works quite well.

The reason this works is that the top of the infection is what we are trying to stop. If you expose that area it's easy to clean and is exposed to oxygen and this is what we want. The area under it is not likely to get reinfected.

This is a good approach on severe cases that need to keep working. I preffer the simple approach though if I can. Just debride and expose to air.
  4. Offline

grimwood Member

Ok so it has been awhile now and the owner really did a good job managing the horse after all. We were able to keep the horse up. Here is how he looks now. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382315992.776057.jpg

Derek Grimwood