plain stamped hand mades

Discussion in 'Horseshoeing Competitions and Handmade Horseshoes' started by Platerforge, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Offline

Kim Turner Master of my own domain

Could the horse have been overdue? Toe nails only look a hair too far forward to me, nothing to crucify someone over. Looks like the lateral branch was marked. No hoof pictures to compare shape, so can't comment on that.
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

Linda I think the next pair of plain-stamps you make for a horse
    take pics of the foot before/after shots, pics of the shoes before the fit
    and on the foot.
    then people can pass comment on the hole job
  3. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Linda I think you may of over stepped the mark on this thread. In my experience 1 and half inches of toe is customer neglect not shoeing error, or that would be the professional response.
    I will put my hand on my heart and say I dont think you meant to but you have made an error on this thread.
    I think the shoes you have put on show were of a good standard and if any professional such as the vet were to say otherwise then i would be quick to defend the original clinician.
    This is a bit close to my heart at the min as some point scoring idiot has just done the same to me as you have done to another.
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Offline

Michael Allen Champion spokesman for UK toolmaker!

I have seen before when a vet had an idea. Told a farrier exactly what they wanted done. Farrier did exactly as told. When it was proven not to work. Vet quickly throws the farrier under the bus. They still get paid and start the cycle over with a new farrier.
  5. Offline

Why not tell the owner that the farrier, not the vet or owner, dictates what type or brand of shoe get nailed on?

In reality shouldnt the horse be barefoot anyway. I hear its better and healthy for the horse
  6. Offline

Platerforge Guest

You all missed my point completely!!!!! I am astonished that you can't get together and talk about hand made shoes of another.
    We do it here all the time here. You can't learn-- if you don't see the mistakes that others make in forging shoes.
    the shape is very important and you missed the fact that they were not a matched pair almost.

ps. I put on a 1 DF kerk hind and it fit perfectly to the shape of the hoof with just few taps to make an inside/outside branch.

I'll put up another pic. to let you know what I am talking about.
    not shoeing the horse to its shape of it hoof; BUT what the handmade shoe came out to look like;
    and then tried to make the hoof fit the shoe!!!
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

those rules don't apply here in my area
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I've answered your question
  9. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I find fitting each foot is more important than making sure the shoes make a perfect pair.

I take a heat to fix the toe on kerks. In a few taps I guess I could get it to cover the foot but I wouldn't consider it fit.
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I thought of that; but I left the toe and actually set toe back. normally don't do that; but with such a pointy and long toe; I did that.
  11. Offline

david kelly Dave Kelly

What changes do ya make to the kerks toes Eric? What dont ya like about them?
  12. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I take the square out of the toe. There's not much I like about kerks except the wear. I keep wanting to switch shoe brand but I haven't found anything I like so I just stick with kerks for now.
  13. Offline

To answeryour question about the shoes. They are more then fine and would pass the Afa Cjf exam based on forging. Not having the horse he trimmed no more can be comented on. If you want to make it a contest make your own handmades and post them so we can tell you who won.

You stated yourself that it is new owners. So you really dont know what kind of shape the horses feet were in when the last person did the horse. He then had no control over how long the owner wanted to go between trims. Hang the shoes on the wall and practice until you can make a pair just as nice.

14. Offline

david a hall Moderator

I dont believe I asked a question!!!!!!! I stated you were out of order!!! I stand by that!!!! We all shoe horses that are far from ideal and we hope to improve the previous farriers work. But I hope I am dignified about it, and your thread is far from dignified.
  15. Offline

gary evans old and slow

My son went to a presentation by David Ducket earlier this year and he told me how Mr Ducket had held up a shoe and asked someone to come up and give an opinion on it. A volunteer approached the front and pointed out flaws in the shoe.

Then Mr Ducket told the volunteer that he had made the shoe blindfolded and asked what he thought of it now and of course, the volunteer said that he was most impressed.

Mr Ducket then went on to caution the audience against judging other farriers' work on what you see because if you weren't there on the day, you don't know under what circumstances the work was done.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  16. Offline

Platerforge Guest

things like that don't impress me at all.
  17. Offline

Platerforge Guest

you did....and do get mad too you know I do have feelings
  18. Offline

Are you impressed more by a df kerk hind size 1, or a nice plain stamp shoe? I see that Ducket does not impress you.
  19. Offline

travis dupree reed Active Member

What in the world in that post would one say was to impress..the post was about judging s job and not knowing the full story..after it was said he was blind folded the job not look to bad
  20. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I'm impressed she can type with both feet in her mouth.