Quarter crack and the new straigthbar shoe

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Gabino, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Offline

Gabino Active Member

Ma'am..In my opinion,a heartbar shoe fixed on a frog weak or with trush is a loss of time.
  2. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Senor......."opinion" doesn't make it fact.

you can use a soft heartbar...or look at the Jim Blurton graduated heartbar shoe as an option in this foot.
  3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I have a habit of doing that to people.

the horse's foot hardly grew in 4 yrs. and took that long to get the foot out of hoofboundness.
    I have my notes at home.
  4. Offline

Platerforge Guest

ps........Happy Birthday Senor Gabino and Bom Dia
  5. Offline

david a hall Moderator

What would be the advantage of graduation? When you say soft heart bar I presume you mean no pressure?
  6. Offline

Gabino Active Member

The foot has a severe trush on the frog.Cause of I can't put wedge support the first shoeing.What's the effect of Jim Blurton's graduated heartbar shoe on the roted frog?
    (Thanks for your wishes)
    rub3.JPG
  7. Offline

Platerforge Guest

correct
  8. Offline

Platerforge Guest

your Jim Blurton graduated heartbar is a steel wedge with a dropped heartbar for frogs like this. then you can medicate the frog on cases like this. you don't have to use the wedge pad, you can float the heels like you wanted to; and you give better support to the quarter crack with out over doing it; and you can treat the frog with meds.
    Have you ever used Iodine crystals and turpentine on the frog???? you sprinkle the iodine crystals; then use your hypodermic needle with turpentine in it and slowly spread the turpentine over the frog only. it is an Acid and use gloves and cover your face. will kill all thrush!!! ifnot can tell you other ways of killing thrush.

www.Jimblurton.com gives you a look at the bars shoes.
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Why would you graduate it? While I might not disagree i am interested in the rational for something not the lets try this shoe this time.
    The graduated bar shoes you speak of its a bit generous to describe them as heart bars, they are the top left in this pic on the link.
    http://www.jimblurton.co.uk/products-for-farriers/

I recon you need to be as good a forger as Jim to get them to fit the back half of the foot.
  10. Offline

Platerforge Guest

true on the forging bit.

I sorry; I meant the "frog support"......as explaining to Gabino, this will help with support and getting meds under the frog to clear up the thrush and with the 3* wedge to realign which he was trying to do with the wedge pad; this shoe is good for quarter cracks from what the farriers here have told me with good results.
    just passing along the info for Gabino; and I think he will have better results next time.

I am very tired and not thinking very well.