Quarter Crack Quarter Crack

Discussion in 'Shoeing Horses with Lameness Issues' started by Eric Russell, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

This is a horse I shod a couple times. The crack isn't bothering him but the wall is trying to pop out and I didn't feel I could sort it enough with an open shoe.

I added a rim pad and floated the heel to see if the wall is going to pop our our not.

uploadfromtaptalk1329151355832.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1329151378657.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1329151396990.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1329151411318.jpg

Eric Russell
  2. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Eric, why no supplemental frog support?
  3. Offline

I thought I was pushing it with them letting me put the bars on. It's a tough sell when the crack was getting better with open shoes.

I'll see how it goes this shoeing. If it looks like he really needs some extra support I'll make sure he gets it.

Eric Russell
  4. Offline

Another shoeing on this guy

uploadfromtaptalk1334168712710.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334168733037.jpg
    Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Eric have you had that x-rayed?
  6. Offline

Not that I know of.

7. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Eric in both solar shots I see a slight bridge in the bar on the crack side the jam may be comming from the sole and not so much the wall. I think if you removed some of the bar in towards the sulckus I would bet a nickel that you will find a bruse and a jam in the sole at the point where the bar has a slight break and move outward then goes back to its normal position. If you do get an xray I would love to see if the coffin bone is lower to the medial side.
  8. Offline

John if I had a sole ax or something that would touch those feet today I would've gotten into them a little more. :D

I would imagine the coffin bone is lower on the inside on all 4 feet. He's nice and crooked. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some bruising either. Next time I'll try to remember to dig in at the bar and take a pic.

The picture makes the crack look much larger than it is. I'm expecting a hairline crack to always be there due to the indentation in the coronary directly at the crack.

After I put the barshoes on I got a call about the horse forging at the walk. Then I got a call that she thought he was lame. Then I got a call that a shoe was loose. Each time she called she was hoping I was sitting at the end of her driveway waiting for her call. LOL So now he's got 4 shoes, sound, and everyone's happy. I'll clean up the sole and bar next time and see if that makes any noticeable changes.
  9. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Why do you think the medial heel is high?
  10. Offline

Not sure what you mean David.

11. Offline

He you go john. There is discoloration but I'm not sure what removing sole to show it is going to do.

do you think this is not good until there is no sign of any crack what so ever?

uploadfromtaptalk1334243833928.jpg

12. Offline

John Muldoon Member

What I am looking at is the sole that is in the middle of the bar that looks like it is growing into the frog. For the past two years I have been doing research on jams in the sole and its affects on the outer hoof wall and plantar cushion. And if you place your thumb on that part of the sole and you finger at the hair line you should find that it (COMPACTED SOLE ) is just in front of the crack. I believe that the compactions interfere with the expansion and contraction and cause the cracks due to the hydraulic pressure changes in side the hoof capsule. I also have found that when I relive the sole at the compaction that I can get the hair line to even out. It sound crazy but I have over 70 head that it has worked on (not all with cracks ).
  13. Offline

John Muldoon Member

Eric it is hard to tell but the bar sill looks like it bends out towards the hoof wall instead of following the frog in the picture. What I am looking at in the picture is the waxy color bar (or sole) and it moves away from the frog instead of following it.
  14. Offline

You have 70 head that without trimming the heels down/back you got the hairline to straighten with just removing sole? That is very interesting.