Razor horseshoes??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gary Hill, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

I have shod alot of Standardbreds for alot of years
    and your saying they dont need much shaping
    only need a pair of shoe spreaders
    to fit a pair of of half round/half swedge:eek::confused:
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Ya know I'm always skeptical about a product that is sold on testimonial instead of published testing. In 13 years of R&D there ought to be some laboratory test results comparing the "claims" against other shoes. In the least I would expect to see a comparison of frictional coefficients on various substrates. Show me proof that this shoe has the same frictional coefficient as bare hoof horn on sand, sod, stone dust, etc.

I would like to see some proof that this shoe is as good or better than anything else, like for example a light weight half round shoe. Testimonials don't mean squat to me if you can't back your claims with scientific evidence.

I'm not dismissing the theory of the "stepped" surface out of hand. I've seen this sort of stepped surface used on the bottom of high speed racing boats, and I'm pretty sure that's where somebody got the idea for improving the slide action of the foot. Furthermore I understand the dynamics involved from the theoretical to the empirical - at least I do in regards to fluid mechanics.

But in my experience this sort of non conventional approach only provides an advantage under extremely limited circumstances. And often the small advantage gained is out weighed by the disadvantages it introduced and versatility sacrificed in other areas. I can see several disadvantages to this product. But for now, I'm just going to settle on challenging the claims.

You may convince credulous horse owners and trainers of this claim just by making it, especially those involved with racing as they are the most credulous of all.

But if you can't back it up with published hard data from tests that anyone else could do and verify your results, then you're just blowing smoke.

What are the fundamental mechanical characteristics of the perfect design? Specifically I would like to see the frictional coefficients, young's modulus, and harmonic resonance characteristics of this shoe compared to those of the horse's hoof which it claims to mimic and enhance.

I bet if I offered free shoeing on barrel racing horses in order to get my product out there I could call it "testing." And if I got to shoe a few winners, then I could call it "proof."
  3. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I have shod standardbred racehorses....and they are one of the hardest horses to shoe....Trotters:eek: .........Pacers are shod more like a TB full swedge up front; and 1/2 round 1/2 swedge hinds.........this is a racing gait......and needs different type of eye in shoeing.
    Ask Conny Swenson.... he uses and shoes top standardbreds in the world. He is who you need to explain this shoe. they are an excellent standardbred shoe made FOR standardbred racing!!!!
  4. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

I never said they don't need much shaping, I said that they don't take much to shape.

I have been helping a guy when he gets busy for about a year, IF I was going to shoe them all the time all I would have would be a stall jack and a pair of spreaders. You may not like it but I haven't found much that you do like outside of your sandpile.
  5. Offline

Read your post again
    i dont know what i'm not supose to like
    but i would need somthing to alter a shoe besides a spreader my friend
  6. Offline

Justin Decker Active Member

They bend really easy don't really need much but a pair of shoe spreaders to shape them.

7. Offline

Thats what i seen from this end aswell
  8. Offline

Bill Adams Active Member

Welcome Chris, hope you continue to interact here with us. Of course you know we will all talk about you when we think you're not looking.

This is another case where I have had another major innovation stolen from me. Someone must have seen one of my concave handmades that I tried to put a nice hammer finish on.
    Seems to me a guy could take a creaser to a shoe and get the same look. Put the shoe you want on the horse and make the owner think they have something special.
    I'm always a bit skeptical when a new piece of U shaped metal with rectangular holes comes along to solve problems and make every horse win.
    The old story I like about trainer logic is from a plater in Southern California who found a big piece of polly pad material at a garage sale for fifty cents. Thing about it was that it was bright yellow. He shod a horse with it that happened to win and the next morning there was a line of trainers with horses at his shop who had to have a set of those yellow pads.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Offline

chris bunting Well-Known Member

unfortunately Justin we dont have trotters / pacers here in europe so consequently we have no experience using such light sectioned shoes , we are talking horseshoes not swords , toolsteel is not appropriate for nailing on to feet , its just not financially viable
  10. Offline

Zouhair Benjabbour Zou

You can open a shoe with a shoe spreader (as the name of the tool indicates) but you can't shape a shoe with a spreader. Two different things am afraid.
  11. Offline

Rick Burten Professional farrier

Same thing is true in the show ring. Trainer "X" wins a halter championship with the horse wearing a never before seen halter called the "Trainer 'X' Halter" Soon, the clamor from other trainers and owners is great enough that tack tors start to carry the halter. Same is true with saddles, bridles, bits, reins, whatever....... Then when Trainer "A", 'B', 'C', whomever, doesn't win with the new equipment, said trainer(s) tell the owner its th horse's fault and the owner needs to buy a different horse.......And so it goes...LOL!
  12. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Welcome to the forums Chris..now how about some solid evidence that your shoes will make horses run faster and jump higher? My book is FULL of canchasers, ya want some of them? They are some of the most easily lead astray horse people on the planet...have you ever heard of Sidewinders? Same theory as yours but again a one hit wonder...Lets see some video footage of how the shoe works when a horse is making a deep turn on a barrel and they are at the bottom of the ground? And IF it is a Perfect Design, someone needs to tell breeders that they need to do a better job breeding Perfect feet on quarter horses...I have canchasers with half rounds, eventers, rims, handmade bars and alums of many kinds...my girls go to the pay window quite often , I have been bombarded with questions from them about the shoes so I asked my Peers ..thats kinda why we debate back and forth on these forums...again Welcome, but bring something to the table ?
  13. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

The current World Champion is the horse owned by Mary Walker from Ennis , Tx..at least NFR World Champion that the AQHA recognizes, the horses name is "Perculatin" otherwise know to the world as "Latte" who by the way set a new earns record this past Dec. in Vegas..not wearing razors either...:)
  14. Offline

Platerforge Guest

Read under the post......Flex in horseshoes........might answer some questions.
  15. Offline

Me was thinking the same
  16. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I can't buy every new product on the market. I have to look at the claims / theories of the product and make a determination on the feasibility of the product. I have never touched these shoes. All I saw was a video. In that video it showed P3 moving M/L in a range that is simply false. Why would I test a product when the manufacturer is making false claims of the biomechanics of the horse?

What were the diagnosed lameness's which these shoes are helping?

Flexible shoes are not new.

I have lame horses on my books. I'm not sure which lameness is attributed to the foot not flexing enough.

I'm guessing you're trying to prevent lameness with a flexible shoe? What lameness are you preventing from having the shoe flex? Glueing shoes on should prevent the heels from flexing yet I haven't seen any lameness from it.
  17. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

video removed by ray

Hi Conny, I will disregard the "getting the right shape" comment. What changes did you make to improve the function?

From what I have seen, flexible shoe manufacturers continuously make their shoes less flexible until they get to an acceptable point which they don't tear feet up from being too flexible.

If the shoe really does flex with the hoof, I'm guessing you did some studies which show on average how much a horses hoof flexes and these shoes can be tested against that?
  18. Offline

brad kovatu New Member

it seems that there is alot of emphasis on the flex when there is a stone or something that is directly under one heel. would the shoe still flex if it landed on the middle of the branch?
  19. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Well, I feel better...interesting presentation for sure. Your specimen horse sure had some really nicely shaped feet, good choice.. is there any consideration that the medial aspect of most feet are differant from the lateral? Do these come in left and right models? Just wondering? On arena ground that is well groomed would the flex be on the turns I assume? Have y'all any footage of how these horses feet deal with the ground besides concrete? Your press is working because girls are asking about them almost everyday...Good timing at the Summit too..Good Luck!
  20. Offline

Platerforge Guest

I have the originals from Conny himself back in Dec 3 2006. they have changed the design since then; and really put a full french hind heel on both sides of the hind shoes. interesting since this was done back in the 30's and 40's.
    interesting shoe to try on some of my QH's and app's coming up in the ranks.