Razor horseshoes??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gary Hill, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I just had some questions because the rumor mill was running amuck about these next big things..?...I have always wondered how much traction there really is when the ground is worked up every 5 horses in the D races and can be as deep as 6 inches of loose material? Now Rodeo horses don't have the ground worked every 5 runners and the ground in alot of arenas is differant as night to day...I completely understand how on a race track conditions in most cases are controlled unless its mud...then all bets are off? And really as to cutters, they like the sand as deep as possible. Alot are doing barefoot because of how deep the sand is...? When it is deep sand I like a wider web shoe to keep them on top of the ground instead of sinking so deep and possibly causeing strains ? I have seen many horses slip and fall making turns in deep sand and loose ground, so injuries to animal and human should be important I think?
  2. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

What are you putting cash into Ray?
  3. Offline

ray steele Administrator

John,

I believe it s called hosting and server space, Andre set it up, if you remember a few months ago when this site got shut down because of a load of spammers trying to get in, because all their shyte traffic exceeded the contract this site closed up for a day or so, cost was lost, Andre moved to another server, more space, more stuff, additional cost, but this conversation is outside of the title of the thread so if you want more inf, please pm or start another thread, said not because i don t want to answer but because this thread is about razer horseshoes info. no commercial

regards

Ray
  4. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

Had my first round with the Razer shoes today. After chasing them around on the ground I threw the tongs down and grabbed a pair of vice grips. Very interesting to say the least. "Racking" a branch is a trip and the hind pattern certainly doesn't look anything like a quarter horse hind that I have ever owned or currently work on. In order to fit the "pillars" it has to be set back on a pointed toe (I tried to reshape it and that was futile). The easiest thing to do is keep them flat. The nail hole design leaves something to be desired as the head does not fit within the molded pattern. When drilling the holes thru a pad a 1/8" bit is a little small so be careful or you will hang up or break a bit (wonder how I know that). After nailing I took a flat head punch and drove them sideways into the bevel of the branch. Worked fairly well but not a neat job. Now we'll wait and see how they work. 100_3885.JPG 100_3891.JPG
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

What type nails did you use Donnie? Where do ya find the pricelist?
  6. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

Gary - call 940.365.1190 and ask for Ashley - D&L Farm and Home in Aubrey

Used 4.5 race nails but do not like the way they fit.
  7. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

I think I could really like these shoes if I was to get an additional $50 over my standard rates.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

I doubled that number Tom. $50 for the shoes and $50 additional for specialty shoeing. Hopefully the shaping will get easier.
  9. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

Donny, what I meant was an additional $50 per shoe on top of my standard $475 fee for shoeing a can chaser.
  10. Offline

brian robertson Active Member

What really is the price per pair for these things?
  11. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

They are roughly $15 and change per pair not counting freight and tax, depending on quantity ordered.
  12. Offline

Donnie Walker Member

I probably should have quoted that and saved myself some grief. Live and don't learn. Wait a minute, is that right?
  13. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Cant remember who told me the other day that Fallon is standing 3rd right now in earnings, BUT that 3 girls in the top ten are running barefooted horses???:)
  14. Offline

David Van Hook Member

15. Offline

Zach's Horseshoeing Member

Fallon's horse is shod with razors
  16. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

yes the promo video said that, I was just sayin there are three barefooted apparently?
  17. Offline

Yeah that's what the damn barefooters are preaching about
  18. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

Zach, there is no pleasing barrelracers...no matter what their horse is wearing if they don't win they look to change to what ever the horse that beat them is wearing...fun fun fun...not!
  19. Offline

You can say that again
  20. Offline

Gary Hill Active Member

I was just wondering that with the "memory" built into these shoes, will they spring back to the shape out of the box no matter how much one attempts to shape them?